Golf 7 Start&Stop kill loom

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I am sure everybody is aware of that small interface to "auto-press" the S&S button everytime the ignition is turned on.

I did not want to cut into the loom so I bought a male and female connector and made an "inline" loom with the interface.

should anybody care, the two connectors are 6R0 972 930 and 1K0 971 992. crimp pins are 000 979 009 E and 000 979 012 E.

below is a picture. works perfectly and the stupid S&S has ceased to bug me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq0m5twkhzku12k/SSloom.jpg

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I did not want to cut into the loom so I bought a male and female connector and made an "inline" loom with the interface.
You should start making and selling them - I'd buy one from you...

Reactions: Uwe

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Why you just don’t increase the voltage level requirement so high with VCDS that the S&S will never engage?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Why you just don’t increase the voltage level requirement so high with VCDS that the S&S will never engage?
That kills it entirely, which is fine, if that's what a person wants.

But I would suppose that little board reverses the function of the factory button; i.e. it defaults to S/S being off, but a press of the button will turn it on. That's somewhat more elegant, particularly if there are times when S/S is actually desired.

-Uwe-

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
PetrolDave said:
You should start making and selling them - I'd buy one from you...

I thought about it, but the Golf needs the ESP OFF button in order for the loom to be truly plug and play. if the button is not there, I should leave a wire with extra length out of the loom and the user would have to tap switched +12V.

by the way, it could be custom made for any MQB car, I should just need to look into connectors which are probably different.

downtime said:

because of everything Uwe said, and:

- I don't get the annoying symbol in the dash when S&S cannot engage because of the voltage trick;
- the interface has a "ghost" mode if you hold the S&S button for 5 seconds. so if you bring in the car for service they won't notice a thing.

PuJuM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=305279
Thanks for your work on this. Are you able to share the details of this adapter with us in the form of a schematic, etc.?

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Similar solutions have been commercially available for quite some time, ideally your circuit recognizes whichever the prior state is and reverts to that once the ignition is switched on. Meaning if it was ON in the previous driving cycle, the circuit should not switch it off in the next cycle either. Vice versa, if it was OFF in the last cycle, it should be switched off in the next one as well.

As a rule of thumb, stay away from any diagnostic related changes (voltages, temperatures etc.) as these seem to be registered by VAG's servers when crawling your car for warranty related data. In addition, permanent tweaks are technically illegal as the system is fully deactivated. On the other hand, an external solution like this, which keeps the general functionality alive, uses a loop hole and has no effect on the legal status of the car. There have been cases where a permanently deactivates SSA has resulted in the vehicle registration being voided with a follow-up tax fraud investigation (here in Germany).

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I did not invent/build the interface, just google it, it's on the bay. all I did was building the loom. actually yesterday I also pimped it, now it also has two more connectors to power the gear knob illumination and the front storage illumination.

I didn't know about the legal outcomes of S&S tweaking, that's crazy. all I knew is it was a temporary workaround for me, I really hated the "error" it kept logging when using the voltage trick.

Back