[2005 Touareg] Need help to program a new Key

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, not intentional. I tried like 10 times. at some point they were all deleted from the system.
The upside to this is that it's pretty conclusive evidence that you have the correct PIN. ;)

-Uwe-

TechNorris

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=353427
Indeed Lol.

Is it possible that I do something wrong. Maybe I just do not understand how to handle the key?

Short version of the procedure I do;

1. insert key
2. push brake
3. Enter Security Code
4. Adaptatino to number of key
5. Remove the key.

If I do it with only 1 key, after making the adaptation to 1 save and close the module, the key is supposed to be OK right there?

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Yes, if doing only 1 key, once you confirm [Yes] to saving the value, that key in the ignition should be matched up at that point. But it would be best practice if doing 1 key to not remove it from the ignition until you correctly exit out of the control module.

Also, generally speaking the Immobilizer light will blink a few times and then go out when a key is matched up. If there is some error in the matching process, the Immobilizer light tends to blink, faster in some cases.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I bow to superior knowledge on KESSY systems; but does the key get programmed with the equivalent of the 'CC' or Cluster Code - a string of about 4 or 8 bytes from the IMMO3 days - that locks the key to the cluster? Just in this case, at least one key was already matched with the old KESSY; and may not be matchabubble to the new one.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I bow to superior knowledge on KESSY systems; but does the key get programmed with the equivalent of the 'CC' or Cluster Code - a string of about 4 or 8 bytes from the IMMO3 days - that locks the key to the cluster? Just in this case, at least one key was already matched with the old KESSY; and may not be matchabubble to the new one.
Unless I missed something, there was no KESSY replacement here; just an attempt to match a (new) second (brand new) key (that does not have the lock bit set).

-Uwe-

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Unless I missed something, there was no KESSY replacement here...

How on earth do you keep track? Yes, in my little brain I thought this was a KESSY replacement too. :facepalm: I think it was because I read a thread the other day where there was a KESSY changed. :eek:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Indeed Lol.

Is it possible that I do something wrong. Maybe I just do not understand how to handle the key?

Short version of the procedure I do;

1. insert key
2. push brake
3. Enter Security Code
4. Adaptatino to number of key
5. Remove the key.

If I do it with only 1 key, after making the adaptation to 1 save and close the module, the key is supposed to be OK right there?

You entered zero and saved it at some point, further clearing all transponders and when ignition was than cycled you now had no valid keys married and keys left with a lock bit unmarried and some ready to get locked unmarried.

Immobilizer has to be in virgin state or with a married key to add a new transponder by OEM tools.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Not merciless .............. /\ :p

A very good ruler and Evangelist in the creation of the Church of RT.

You should file for tax exempt status and just call it a congregation at this point........

crazynorweegian

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=201826
I’m having this same issue on a 2005 touareg with kessy. I tried to program the existing 2 keys along with a new one. The instructions are obviously for the monochrome display and not the color display since kessy cars don’t have immo lights, it is a message on the screen.

Programming multiple keys does not work like the rosstech instructions. The instructions say nothing about the “learning in progress” message or the fact that the ignition has to be on for the learning message to even pop up.

After trying for about 4 hours I finally got one old key to work. Then I was able to get the other old key to work... but I cannot get two keys to successfully program at the same time (in sequence). It’s not clear how or when to take one key out and begin the subsequent keys.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
7L Touaregs have always been extremely fidgety when it comes to key-matching.

-Uwe-

crazynorweegian

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=201826
I'm not sure the rosstech instructions are accurate for color display kessy cars. The immobilizer light doesn't "blink" since there is no immobilizer dash light. Also, the module appears to sleep after I pull the key out to move on to the 2nd and 3rd keys and it doesn't do the "learning in progress" message for those subsequent keys-- even if I leave my foot on the brake pedal. When I try to follow the instructions for multiple keys, none of the 3 keys will program. I can only get a value of 1 to successfully program in adaptation 21.

Should I just start a new thread since this is several years old? I am not sure what the decorum is for this forum.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Should I just start a new thread since this is several years old?
Since it's already here and the thread title is correct, I don't see any reason to start a new thread.

-Uwe-

crazynorweegian

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=201826
The rosstech instructions are not accurate for color cluster displays on the kessy 2005 7L Touareg. No immobilizer lights/ messages blink during adaptation if you begin with an old key that has been previously paired to the car. Simply begin with an old key, then turn the ignition on and off with each new key. Then finish with the first key. Check measuring block 23 and wait the stated amount of time before starting the car.

If you accidentally clear all the old keys (which may happen if the process is unsuccessful), the procedure looks a little different and will include some immobilizer messages between keys.

Back