Status
Not open for further replies.

scopeyus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230470
I received hexnet wifi a few days ago and I connected successfully in access point mode with a Win 8.1 tablet. Did a scan and saved a log. Now I want to connect in infrastructure mode. If I understand the directions correctly, I open a browser, point to same ip address, connect via access point go to options/network/pull down profiles 2-7 then edit one of them to match my network which is the wifi hotspot on my phone. I enter my ssid: XT1234 5678 exactly as it appears on my phone with caps and space in between the 8 numerals, I select WPA2 PSK encryption, and my password in the key field. I apply as the active profile. At that point nothing happens except the hex net led 2 blinking red looking for a network. Am I mis-understanding what I should be doing with this thing to get to the cloud?

Also, I downloaded vcds for my phone from play store and it just scans and can't find an interface, so I am nowhere with that route

Regards,
Scott

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I enter my ssid: XT1234 5678 exactly as it appears on my phone with caps and space in between the 8 numerals, I select WPA2 PSK encryption, and my password in the key field. I apply as the active profile. At that point nothing happens except the hex net led 2 blinking red looking for a network. Am I mis-understanding what I should be doing with this thing to get to the cloud?
Welcome!

When you get a chance, switch it back into AP mode with the button, and then look at your WiFi profiles. Make sure that you see the new SSID you created, and also make sure the WPA/WPA2 setting and key were saved. I experienced a similar problem a while back wherein the WPA2 setting/key wasn't being saved properly. My newly created SSID was there, but set as Open/no-auth. I'm not sure if that problem still exists, and I don't have my interface with me to check.

If that does turn out to be your problem, there's an effective workaround in the form of a PC/Mac-compatible Java application, that allows you to set up the wireless profiles over USB.

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

scopeyus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230470
Thanks. I'll be able to check that in about an hour. Also, I am HN1-000314, and I was using HDCP because I didn't know my IP. Also, should I be using the client rather than a browser? Not sure how they relate.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Scopeyus,
The Android app is basically just a specialized browser with some extra functions (like the ability to scan for HEX-NETs). If the app does not show any interfaces as being found, then the HEX-NET is not connected to your phone. The blinking red light on the HEX-NET also confirms this. Double check what the hotspot settings are on your phone, for example some may not be set for WPA encryption. If you have the USB utility, checking with that will also be helpful. That utility can have the HEX-NET scan for available networks, you should see you phone hotspot in that list. If you don't you may have a different problem.
--Shaun

scopeyus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230470
Welcome!

When you get a chance, switch it back into AP mode with the button, and then look at your WiFi profiles. Make sure that you see the new SSID you created, and also make sure the WPA/WPA2 setting and key were saved. I experienced a similar problem a while back wherein the WPA2 setting/key wasn't being saved properly. My newly created SSID was there, but set as Open/no-auth. I'm not sure if that problem still exists, and I don't have my interface with me to check.

If that does turn out to be your problem, there's an effective workaround in the form of a PC/Mac-compatible Java application, that allows you to set up the wireless profiles over USB.

Jason

Yes, that is the problem. No matter how many times I edit the profile and submit, it won't take. I connected with a usb cable but I see I need an app to open a jar file when I click net to change the settings in the client. I'll let you guide me since I don't want to 'let the smoke out' :-)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Yes, that is the problem. No matter how many times I edit the profile and submit, it won't take. I connected with a usb cable but I see I need an app to open a jar file when I click net to change the settings in the client. I'll let you guide me since I don't want to 'let the smoke out' :-)
Just follow the infrastructure mode setup guide, in the third video in this thread. The magic smoke will remain safely inside.

Edit: reading your post closer, you may not have Java installed at all... go to http://java.com and hit the big red button to download the latest. It's just your typical next-next-finish type install, but I think Oracle still have that shameful and ridiculous search-engine hijacker built into the installer, so watch out for and de-select any "helpful" attempts to reset your search engine to Ask.Com or Bing. Then you should be able to launch the utility.

Jason

Last edited:

scopeyus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230470
Installed java and configured profile 2. I see settings in active profile when viewed in browser. What now? I guess I still don't understand how hexnet and wifi work together. I can't connect to both.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Installed java and configured profile 2. I see settings in active profile when viewed in browser. What now? I guess I still don't understand how hexnet and wifi work together. I can't connect to both.
If you're a brand-new user of this stuff, it might benefit you to watch all four of those videos at the link instead of just the one. You said you've had the AP mode working, otherwise you wouldn't have been in the web interface at all. In that mode the light is yellow and you'll see a HN1-000314 SSID to connect to. In infrastructure mode it'll try to connect to your network. You'll see a blinking red light while it's searching or trying to connect, which is what you see when it can't find the network or (in your case) if there's a settings mismatch and it can't connect. You'll see the light go green when it successfully connects.

Once you have that new profile created, use the "set active profile" button in the Java utility, or the button on the HN unit to switch to infrastructure mode. You should see it blink red briefly while it searches, and then switch to green assuming it was successful.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I guess I still don't understand how hexnet and wifi work together. I can't connect to both.
When you get it configured correctly, the your device (PC, phone, tablet, or whatever) both connect to your WiFi router, which then routes traffic between them.

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Scopeyus,
Based on your earlier post, it seems like you are trying to connect the HEX-NET to your phone's wifi tether. If this is the case, then you need to make sure that the hotspot tether is actively turned on when the HEX-NET is trying to connect to it. When you click scan for network from the utility, you should see your phone's hotspot listed there. Do you? If you do, then you should only need to click it and enter the password. The password is quite possibly case sensitive, depending on what security settings you are using. If you don't see the network, you might want to try connecting the HEX-NET to a normal wifi network (not your phone) first, to get the hang of how that works.

Best,
--Shaun

scopeyus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230470
I'm still not having any success with infrastructure mode using the tablet or phone. I the car I have the phone set up as hot spot, a win8.1 tablet and a win7 laptop. The hotspot is working because I am playing ross-tech videos on the laptop and I see the hotspot name in the tray of my tablet. I connect the tablet with usb and see the hex net HN1-000314 when I 'refresh list'. The wifi setup then searches endlessly for a network for profile 8. I shouldn't need the setup since my ssid, encryption, and password are already in profile 2.
When using the phone alone, the hexnet shows up and connects quickly in the list of available networks. I launch the mobile app and it begins scanning but never finds hexnet. I'm not sure how this will ever work because wifi turns off when I turn on hotspot on the phone. I'm getting frustrated and wondering if you guys will skype or team viewer.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Ok, lets go back a minute and sort some things out. What CB and FW version does your hex-net currently have? This is visible in the main screen of the USB utility. Also, what version of the usb utility are you using?

I'm not sure how this will ever work because wifi turns off when I turn on hotspot on the phone.

Well, wifi doesn't turn off per say, your phone is now broadcasting as a wifi hotspot. The wifi on your phone cannot both be simultaneously broadcasting its own hotspot and connected to another wifi network.

scopeyus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230470
I am running v14.10 with java 1.8.0_25. on a Lenovo Win 8 tablet. I don't see any CB or FW on main screen. I have also tried with android phone. It's been a long time since last time on forum, but to recap, I connect in AP on phone, tablet, and laptop, just not in IM with any device. I think I'm not understanding the process. The only way for me to create an Internet connection is to enable hot spot on phone which disconnects from hex net in AP. Please restate how hex net connects to device and Internet. It just isn't making any sense to me to accomplish both.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The only way for me to create an Internet connection is to enable hot spot on phone which disconnects from hex net in AP. .

Correct,

AP Mode = The HEX-NET acts as a router. Your phone/tablet will see this as a network. The HEX-NET doesn't have internet access.

Infrastructure mode = The HEX-NET is a Client, Your tablet is also a client. It connects to a "router" to get network access.

It sounds like you want to have your phone under hotpot mode. so a connection will look like this:

S7DDARQ.png

Here's a quick rundown of how to do it.

1. Put your phone in hotspot mode.
2. Plug your HEX-NET into a computer over usb.
3. Open USB HEX-NET configuration utility.
4. Click configure Wifi
5. Scan for new network
6. Locate your hotspot. Double click and type in password.
7. Click set as active profile.

giphy.gif

your hex-net will now connect to the hotspot.

Last edited:

scopeyus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230470
Thanks. I now have 3 green lights on hexnet using profile 3. My IP is 192.168.43.243, but I see function not supported by gateway message in auto scan. What's next?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What Kind of car are you plugged into? Do you have the key in the "on" position?

scopeyus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230470
14 Passat with wireless key fob and push button ignition, so no way to turn it on since key lock has been removed and bezel installed

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
there is a way to do "key on" . With the foot off the brake gas and clutch, press the start button.

scopeyus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230470
Bam is right! I'm connected and have my first auto-scan thank you. I emailed it just to say I did it :) even though most everything looks good. There was some beef about the navigation and an intermittent short in the antenna, but I know some of these are bug/nuisance codes. Thank You!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back