Swapping mechatronic between cars using HEX+CAN on mk7R?

jassem99

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=168648
Hello,

We are getting the below codes on a 2016 Golf R; car drives and shifts fine but launch control can't be used. The car was running fine for a long time and then the codes appeared. Clutches were changed and the basic settings done, but the codes are still present. We suspected the mechatronic so we removed it from the 2016 R and put the mechatronic into a perfectly running 2016 Golf R with matching mechatronic, gearbox and even coding numbers. The 2015 Golf R that was running fine doesn't allow any gear to be engaged after the mechatronic swap. Do we need a HEX+NET cable instead of the HEX+CAN we are using?

Code:
2 Faults Found:

21177 - Clutch 1 
          P177B 00 [011] - Tolerance Limit Reached
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 79974 km
                    Date: 2018.11.21
                    Time: 12:38:35

21178 - Clutch 2 
          P177C 00 [011] - Tolerance Limit Reached
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 79974 km
                    Date: 2018.11.21
                    Time: 12:38:35

As another experiment we installed the perfectly working mechatronic of the 2015 Golf R into the 2016 Golf R, expecting it to allow launch control. VCDS gives a P1701 code that says the auto trans ECU is "locked". Do we need special procedure or HEX+NET (other than available on the Ross Tech website for 02E mechatronic coding) in order to get this mechatronic "unlocked"?

In summary, do we need a HEX+NET to code mk7 R mechatronics?

Thanks in advance

jassem99

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=168648
Thank you sir. What would be the regular course of action on such a code? How does the car even measure clutch tolerance and decide the limit has been reached? The clutches are days old.

Should we just capitulate and hand the 2016 car over to the dealer with the clutch tolerance codes and ask them to fix it? Knowing them they will replace the clutches before mechatronic I'm sure.

Not sure if this helps but the hardware is as below:

Code:
Address 02: Auto Trans       Labels: 0D9-927-770.clb
Control Module Part Number: 0D9 300 012     HW: 02E 927 770 AQ
  Component and/or Version: DQ250-6A MQB  H53 4911

jassem99

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=168648
Insufficient in what way? I can get an Autoscan tomorrow but am curious to know if the VCDS will be able to allow this mechatronic swap or if it's something not feasible on the MQB platform without dealer tools?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Insufficient in what way? I can get an Autoscan tomorrow but am curious to know if the VCDS will be able to allow this mechatronic swap or if it's something not feasible on the MQB platform without dealer tools?

Not feasible without dealer tools I'm afraid as Jack already explained few posts back.

If it's any help, I had the same error after mechatronic swap on our 1.2 TSI Leon. I kept on driving as I did not notice anything out of ordinary in the DSG operation.
If the clutches would really be so worn that it raises the limit reached error, you would feel it as there is heavy slipping in gear changes already before the error is raised.
In our case, the error cleared away after driving for a few days. Most likely the error was raised after the mecha swap and workshop test drive but if I remember correctly it needs longer drive for the adjustment to be actually fully completed.

Back