Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HEX-NET via NET vs USB experiences.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

HEX-NET via NET vs USB experiences.

So I have been using my brand new Dell Venue Pro Win 8.1 tablet along with my HEX-NET for the past week now and have a few experiences/questions.

Using it in AP-mode and connecting to NET works smoothly, meaning it just about always finds the HEX-NET and relatively quickly.

But here are a few odd things I have seen, btw the HEX-NET was in the dash of the 99 Eurovan and the tablet was in my hand against the steering wheel so basically only inches apart:

So yeah connects nicely:

But while in NET mode I see this fairly often:

Similar with the AT controller:

I wasn't rushing it to take those screenshots, that's after waiting for a good 1-2 mins, also in most (not all) of the above conditions, I could indeed "continue" into fault codes etc, so it was communication still with the modules.

Testing the same thing minutes later with the USB cable (no issues):

Last edited by BaraJag; 03-15-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also while using it in NET wireless mode, it seemed to loose connection to the controller on a number of occasions

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now I seem to not have any issue going from NET to USB, however the other way around (USB->NET) usually requires me to unplug the HEX-NET from both the car and the cable, to reset it (I presume?).

Aside from this I have yet to be able to get it to connect to my wifi network automatically after using it in AP mode, now my router is an Apple one so might have something to do with that, when I go into options through VCDS mobile and do it manually it connects right away.

Anyhow let me know what you think about these things?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember that Windows 8.1 was giving problems and is not recommended. Could that be the issue?

Edit: I just found this in the FAQ which looks like it has been revised since i last read it. Looks like it now has a fix and the USB is working for you anyway.

"6.9 I'm using Windows 8.1 and cannot talk to the HEX-NET reliably via USB?

Microsoft made substantial changes to the power management for USB peripherals in Windows 8.1. This has caused problems for lots of devices including cell phones, game controllers, and the HEX-NET. We believe we have a fix for this in the form of a "driver" (actually just an INF file). It is included with VCDS Beta 14 and newer. So if you have issues on a Windows 8.1 system, download and install VCDS Beta 14 or newer and make sure the "Fix Windows 8.1 HID power management for HEX-NET" option is selected during the install."
    Last edited by JimG; 03-15-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you go into Device Manager on that Venue and check what brand of chipset it uses for WiFi, and give us the VID and PID of the WiFi adapter? We've recently become aware of a compatibility issue with some of them. These are most obvious when trying to retrieve a Gateway Intallation List, but your Eurovan is too old to support that. Anyway I'm curious what that device uses for WiFi and if what you're seeing might be related.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 03-16-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    can you go into Device Manager on that Venue and check what brand of chipset it uses for WiFi, and give us the VID and PID of the WiFi adapter? We've recently become aware of a compatibility issue with some of them. These are most obvious when trying to retrieve a Gateway Intallation List, but your Eurovan is too old to support that. Anyway I'm curious what that device uses for WiFi and if what you're seeing might be related.

-Uwe-
    Is this all the info you wanted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yep, thanks!

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BaraJag View Post
    Now I seem to not have any issue going from NET to USB, however the other way around (USB->NET) usually requires me to unplug the HEX-NET from both the car and the cable, to reset it (I presume?).

Aside from this I have yet to be able to get it to connect to my wifi network automatically after using it in AP mode, now my router is an Apple one so might have something to do with that, when I go into options through VCDS mobile and do it manually it connects right away.

Anyhow let me know what you think about these things?

Any comments about these other experiences I seem to have?

So when I switch it from AP to infra, it does indeed go to SOLID SOLID & FLASHING GREEN, but if I use FING it shows that IP as non active.
    Last edited by BaraJag; 03-17-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

So was looking over things and updating the HEX-NET and this caught my eye.

Vign: 0.03V

Threshold is set to 6.0V by default it seems since I haven't changed any of that.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So was looking over things and updating the HEX-NET and this caught my eye.

Vign: 0.03V

Threshold is set to 6.0V by default it seems since I haven't changed any of that.
    Sounds like it might be going to sleep.
    I'd try turning off Low Power mode in options.

Edit: You can tell it's asleep if only the CPU light flashes very slowly:
    You can see when that the HEX-NET is in low power mode mode by the state of the LEDs; the Car and WiFi LEDs will turn off, and the CPU LED will flash green very briefly once every two seconds.
    Last edited by jakematic; 03-17-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: indication

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama