Status
Not open for further replies.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
So I have been using my brand new Dell Venue Pro Win 8.1 tablet along with my HEX-NET for the past week now and have a few experiences/questions.

Using it in AP-mode and connecting to NET works smoothly, meaning it just about always finds the HEX-NET and relatively quickly.

But here are a few odd things I have seen, btw the HEX-NET was in the dash of the 99 Eurovan and the tablet was in my hand against the steering wheel so basically only inches apart:

So yeah connects nicely:
Screenshot_14.png

But while in NET mode I see this fairly often:

Screenshot_5.png

Similar with the AT controller:

Screenshot_11.png

Screenshot_15.png

Screenshot_6.png

I wasn't rushing it to take those screenshots, that's after waiting for a good 1-2 mins, also in most (not all) of the above conditions, I could indeed "continue" into fault codes etc, so it was communication still with the modules.

Testing the same thing minutes later with the USB cable (no issues):

Screenshot_7.png

Last edited:

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Also while using it in NET wireless mode, it seemed to loose connection to the controller on a number of occasions

Screenshot_10.png

Screenshot_8.png

Screenshot_10.png

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Now I seem to not have any issue going from NET to USB, however the other way around (USB->NET) usually requires me to unplug the HEX-NET from both the car and the cable, to reset it (I presume?).

Aside from this I have yet to be able to get it to connect to my wifi network automatically after using it in AP mode, now my router is an Apple one so might have something to do with that, when I go into options through VCDS mobile and do it manually it connects right away.

Anyhow let me know what you think about these things?

JimG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208775
I remember that Windows 8.1 was giving problems and is not recommended. Could that be the issue?

Edit: I just found this in the FAQ which looks like it has been revised since i last read it. Looks like it now has a fix and the USB is working for you anyway.

"6.9 I'm using Windows 8.1 and cannot talk to the HEX-NET reliably via USB?

Microsoft made substantial changes to the power management for USB peripherals in Windows 8.1. This has caused problems for lots of devices including cell phones, game controllers, and the HEX-NET. We believe we have a fix for this in the form of a "driver" (actually just an INF file). It is included with VCDS Beta 14 and newer. So if you have issues on a Windows 8.1 system, download and install VCDS Beta 14 or newer and make sure the "Fix Windows 8.1 HID power management for HEX-NET" option is selected during the install."

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can you go into Device Manager on that Venue and check what brand of chipset it uses for WiFi, and give us the VID and PID of the WiFi adapter? We've recently become aware of a compatibility issue with some of them. These are most obvious when trying to retrieve a Gateway Intallation List, but your Eurovan is too old to support that. Anyway I'm curious what that device uses for WiFi and if what you're seeing might be related.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
can you go into Device Manager on that Venue and check what brand of chipset it uses for WiFi, and give us the VID and PID of the WiFi adapter? We've recently become aware of a compatibility issue with some of them. These are most obvious when trying to retrieve a Gateway Intallation List, but your Eurovan is too old to support that. Anyway I'm curious what that device uses for WiFi and if what you're seeing might be related.

-Uwe-

Is this all the info you wanted?

Screenshot_16.png

Screenshot_17.png

Screenshot_18.png

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yep, thanks!

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Now I seem to not have any issue going from NET to USB, however the other way around (USB->NET) usually requires me to unplug the HEX-NET from both the car and the cable, to reset it (I presume?).

Aside from this I have yet to be able to get it to connect to my wifi network automatically after using it in AP mode, now my router is an Apple one so might have something to do with that, when I go into options through VCDS mobile and do it manually it connects right away.

Any comments about these other experiences I seem to have?

So when I switch it from AP to infra, it does indeed go to SOLID SOLID & FLASHING GREEN, but if I use FING it shows that IP as non active.

Last edited:

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761

So was looking over things and updating the HEX-NET and this caught my eye.

Vign: 0.03V

Threshold is set to 6.0V by default it seems since I haven't changed any of that.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
So was looking over things and updating the HEX-NET and this caught my eye.

Vign: 0.03V

Threshold is set to 6.0V by default it seems since I haven't changed any of that.

Sounds like it might be going to sleep.
I'd try turning off Low Power mode in options.

Edit: You can tell it's asleep if only the CPU light flashes very slowly:
You can see when that the HEX-NET is in low power mode mode by the state of the LEDs; the Car and WiFi LEDs will turn off, and the CPU LED will flash green very briefly once every two seconds.

Last edited:

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score

Hello,

This is something we are looking into and as Uwe mentioned the WiFi chipset may be the common factor. You aren't alone there with the Beta USB scan followed by -> Beta NET scan without a reboot - but I haven't been able to duplicate the issue with 100% consistency. I've used several PCs (ranging from XP to Windows 7) on a 2002 old-school Gti to my reasonably modern 2012 Tiguan and experienced that exact issue, but it worked properly a few times?!?

In the meanwhile - you mentioned that VCDS Mobile connects right away. I had a 50/50% success rate with that immediately after experiencing the wired Beta scan -> AP mode issue. The next time you happen to try that can you confirm that when VCDS Beta cannot find the interface (Interface Not Found) -or- communicate properly that VCDS Mobile (via a web browser in AP mode | 192.168.0.1) works with consistency without rebooting the interface itself? I'm going to do the same on more than one car/PC and look into the Vign: 0.03V settings you mentioned as well. Likewise, I haven't tweaked any of my power settings in the HEX-NET either.

-Dana

tmorgan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13031
I am experiencing almost the same problem.
Plug hex-net in wait for lights to go green. Open vcds 14 test connection all ok. When i attempt to auto scan or open any control modules i get "no response from controller"
Sometimes I can wait it out and it starts to work, most of the time I unplug it and plug it back in to reset, I have much better luck connecting in vcds 14 on AP mode. If I get the no response message close vcds 14 and open vcds mobile it works flawlessly. I am running 8.1 on an asus k53e laptop. I'll throw vcds 14 on an xp machine and let you know if i have the same issues.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I am experiencing almost the same problem.
Plug hex-net in wait for lights to go green. Open vcds 14 test connection all ok. When i attempt to auto scan or open any control modules i get "no response from controller"
Sometimes I can wait it out and it starts to work, most of the time I unplug it and plug it back in to reset, I have much better luck connecting in vcds 14 on AP mode. If I get the no response message close vcds 14 and open vcds mobile it works flawlessly. I am running 8.1 on an asus k53e laptop. I'll throw vcds 14 on an xp machine and let you know if i have the same issues.

Please do and if you have the time grab the WiFi Chipset details from each PC (even if one works and the other doesn't).

Thanks,
Dana

Edit: Taylor, I just noticed you are from a shop (rather than an enthusiast with one or two cars). Please let us know what vehicle(s) you are testing on and if you have the time make sure the HEX-USB+CAN works flawlessly with the same VCDS Beta release on the same PC.

Last edited:

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Hello,

This is something we are looking into and as Uwe mentioned the WiFi chipset may be the common factor. You aren't alone there with the Beta USB scan followed by -> Beta NET scan without a reboot - but I haven't been able to duplicate the issue with 100% consistency. I've used several PCs (ranging from XP to Windows 7) on a 2002 old-school Gti to my reasonably modern 2012 Tiguan and experienced that exact issue, but it worked properly a few times?!?

In the meanwhile - you mentioned that VCDS Mobile connects right away. I had a 50/50% success rate with that immediately after experiencing the wired Beta scan -> AP mode issue. The next time you happen to try that can you confirm that when VCDS Beta cannot find the interface (Interface Not Found) -or- communicate properly that VCDS Mobile (via a web browser in AP mode | 192.168.0.1) works with consistency without rebooting the interface itself? I'm going to do the same on more than one car/PC and look into the Vign: 0.03V settings you mentioned as well. Likewise, I haven't tweaked any of my power settings in the HEX-NET either.

-Dana

Ok so should we expect this chipset issue to be addressed or should I look for another computer?

Well it's fairly common place to have to "reset" the hexnet period by removing it from the car and from any possible USB cable that's become commonplace already I almost do that automatically, with that in mind yes VCDS mobile works just about always.

I have never seen VCDS beta not finding the device not on usb not wifi unless I'm doing it too quickly,that's the thing it always finds it but that's it that's when the issues start.

Just to clarify I've only used the hexnet on one of my own cars so far all the other cars have been others' cars that I've worked on.

Right now on a 2002 Jetta where even with USB it was having issues finding the modules.

P.S what I refer to as "old-school" would not have any OBD port whatsoever! :)

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok so should we expect this chipset issue to be addressed or should I look for another computer?

We can reproduce the issue and are trying to locate the cause. The current workaround is to use a usb network card on the same machine.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes.. Stand by...

[time passes]

Please try Beta 14.2.3..

-Uwe-

Last edited:

tmorgan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13031
Great work!! I have only tested the update on an 05 a3 and a 98 passat but everything is working perfectly so far. Thank you for all the hard work I appreciate it.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Yes.. Stand by...

[time passes]

Please try Beta 14.2.3..

-Uwe-

Unfortunately when I now finally had time and tried it on the same vehicle (EV 99) as I did when I started this thread all I get is no response from controller, restarted VCDS a number of time, even restarted the computer after the BETA update, and the HEX-NET of course also wanted it's SW updated so I did that too.

Same thing happened on my 2002 Eurovan so I don't believe it is the vehicle.

It did communicate with my 1998 TDI ECU (it's not in the 98 body any more) but did not once display any numbers in the fields at the top, where you have VAG number etc etc, only way I knew it was connected was I the fault codes and measure blocks became available to click on.

Also an odd thing on the 98 TDI is that when using the WIN8.1 tablet and Hex-Net in NET mode the TDI timing will NOT show it shows just fine in USB mode.

P.S. The little I tested VCDS mobile it however seemed faster after the sw update!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Were you running this via USB or WiFi, and if WiFi, AP mode or Infrastructure mode?

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back