Golf MK7 MIB2 819B to 824B upgrade, FEC/SWaP disabled

dennis.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350973
Hi,

I replaced the original MIB2 3Q0035819B in order to get App-Connect (to 3Q0035824B). A friend with Odis removed the CP and I coded everything to match the original MIB2.
Now all installed FEC/SWaP are marked as "Vorübergehend abgewiesen" which means "temporarily dropped/inactive" because they are chained to the donor-vin. See image https://imgur.com/a/byLMGSd. Now Phone and Bluetooth are not working anymore.

Is there a possibility to change the VIN for the installed FECs using VCDS?

Thanks
Dennis

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
And I'm pretty sure that you can forget getting APP-Connect officially. Not possible if your previous infotainment did not support that.

I was seeking for the same some time ago. I thought if I install newer MIB system to my car, get the CP removed and FeCs returned can I then buy official app-connect license and have it installed by authorized workshop. Answer was no. As my car is not manufactured at a time where app-connect is aftermarket installable the factory won't allow the enablement. And to make things worse, I would lose the 250€ as the license key is one time use. Even it is rejected, it will be used and game over. It is no-refundable at that point either.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
And to make things worse, I would lose the 250€ as the license key is one time use. Even it is rejected, it will be used and game over. It is no-refundable at that point either.
How can that be legal?

-Uwe-

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
How can that be legal?

-Uwe-

I wonder as well. VAG is kind of shitting of out the vase with this FeC thing.

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
A solution is to use a third party tool if you have the expertise or send your unit to APG in Poland.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
How can that be legal?

-Uwe-

Why wouldn't it be? It's a one-time use code and after using it it's gone. If you buy it with your own risk, then it's your problem. If the aftermarket sales sells it to you then you can always blame them and demand a refund.

I wonder as well. VAG is kind of shitting of out the vase with this FeC thing.

Depends. For example ACC is good that it's a FeC protected feature. Now think how people do retrofits to their cars. There are so many different ways to install ACC physically. Wiring, physical installation etc. Some do it as quick as possible, some take their time and make it as OEM as possible. Some take the car to proper calibration of the installed system and a lot of people don't do it as you can read from here as well.
Now this being a direct safety feature in the car, what if it fails due to poor installation in critical moment so that someone ends up dead? Imagine the lawsuit galore VAG will be getting after that. Of course, they can prove that it was self-installed and can withdraw from responsibility but all the bad publicity they'll get even it is not their fault is enormous.

It's just good that this FeC scheme will drop 95% of the retrofitters. The risk of poor retrofits will drop considerably.

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Why wouldn't it be? It's a one-time use code and after using it it's gone. If you buy it with your own risk, then it's your problem. If the aftermarket sales sells it to you then you can always blame them and demand a refund.
If the code is used but the feature not enabled, then you have not had the service/goods that you paid for - which could be construed as fraud by a "good" lawyer.

Reactions: Uwe

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
If the code is used but the feature not enabled, then you have not had the service/goods that you paid for - which could be construed as fraud by a "good" lawyer.

Yep. But unfortunately it is not always that black and white with them. I would not talk about customer respect and VAG in the same sentence :)

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
Buy it with your credit card and (In the UK) we have section 75 protection, which means you can get a refund if it doesn't work. If VAG refuse we still get a refund.

dennis.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350973
no. why didn't you ask your friend with ODIS? if he removed CP he has Fazit access and he can restore the codes too.

We didn't reboot the head unit in the first place. Everything worked smoothly, even App-Connect. That's why I jumped back in the car and enjoyed Google Maps.
This is our first retrofit, so the trouble began after getting into the car the next day when the head unit started up with the VIN (with dropped codes, obviously).

I am not familiar with ODIS. Can you point out the steps we need to make with Fazit to restore the codes? I want to be prepared when I get back to my friend.

The donor-car had App-Connect enabled. Will the App-Connect FeCs be restored as well?

And I'm pretty sure that you can forget getting APP-Connect officially. Not possible if your previous infotainment did not support that.

I was seeking for the same some time ago. I thought if I install newer MIB system to my car, get the CP removed and FeCs returned can I then buy official app-connect license and have it installed by authorized workshop. Answer was no. As my car is not manufactured at a time where app-connect is aftermarket installable the factory won't allow the enablement. And to make things worse, I would lose the 250€ as the license key is one time use. Even it is rejected, it will be used and game over. It is no-refundable at that point either.

My car was manufactured in 10.2016 with MIB2. My research pointed out that all MIB2 units (except 819B) do support App-Connect. 819B was installed in my car. So I got 824B with the exact same hardware and software number.

Hopefully this scenario is more likely to work, what do you guys think?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
You can get app-connect to work if you buy the official retrofit kit from VW. But only if the car originally had MIB unit that supports APP Connect. Now you have retrofitted a different MIB unit that was in the car originally, so I'm afraid no go officially.

And what comes to the ODIS. There's a guided function called Restore codes what you can use to restore them to the module. And no, it does not restore the APP connect FeC as your cars VIN number never had it. But all other stuff will be returned. So you will get bluetooth and phone functionality back and as you have non-navi MIB based on the part number, it should be simple as that.

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
Whoever retrofitted your MIB unit should know how to enable it. If not then I suggest you get yourself a VCP cable and spend some time on their forums! On retrofits it's absolutely essential that online updates are disabled for obvious reasons!!!

jimmyq

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=139879
these should be restored through special functions restore as mentioned above i have done many this way myself

Back