Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can: not ready in can Car

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the board from both sides.

Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK, so the MCP2515 in the first pic is the CAN controller. But I doubt that's where the problem is; it only controls the CAN "logic" and is not the transceiver. There should be another, separate transceiver chip, as well as two 60Ω terminating resistors. I don't see those in the pic, so I suspect they are hiding under that big TO220 package 5V regulator. Bend that up and out of the way and show us what's under it.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The MCP2551 was indeed hiding under the voltage regulator, but no sight of any resistors in the 60Ohm range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yep, that's it. MCP2551. I couln't remember the part number. I'm sure you can find a datasheet for it...

Looking at your picture in full-size, I'm wondering whether this bit of solder should be there:

That's the CAN-L pin. You might take a dental pick or, if needed a fine-tipped soldering iron to that and see what happens.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Judging from the copper color that appears after scratching, I would say this is a valid path. I need to get myself a magnification glass, as I don't have one here. I've ordered the MCP2551 but it will take 2 weeks to arrive.

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've desoldered the MCP2551 and a 120Ohm resistor between CANH and CANL on the right side. I still have a short to ground for CANL. I'll resolder the chip but I don't know where this short is coming from...

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Uwe,

I have resoldered the chip and desoldered the plug board. I still have that contact from CAN-Low to vehicle ground. I don't know what to think of this. I cant spot any components on that board.

I've also tried to desolder the plug, but Ive failed so far as i dont get the rest of solder out of the mounting holes.

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've now resoldered another plug that doesn't have that short between CanL and VG. I matched the pinout from the old plug-board to the new one, so there should be no issues. If I connect it with the car I see the LED lighting up. If I ask VCDS to test the Interface it finds it, sometimes it tells me it is not connected to the car, or it wants to update the firmware version. It can not see the current firmware version ("Version Unknown") and from my first screenshot the most recent version should be on it (1.96). If I want to flash the firmware it hangs at 0.81%. The first 4-5 times it seemed the flash was successful, but it still could not see the firmwareversion. VCIConfig just shows a empty list..
    I even resoldered the original MCP 2515, but it didn't change a thing. That was expectable because I guess the firmware runs in the ATMEL and not in the CAN-Tranceiver.
    Do you have another idea or is it now finally a nice brick?

It would be great if you would take a bit of time again, even if it is only to tell me its garbage.

Sincerely,

Julian
    Last edited by b00nSai; 01-29-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I ran out of ideas a while ago, sorry.

I'm also puzzled how/why the Atmel lost firmware.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    All right, then I will contact a distributor here in Germany and get a new one. I consider it "learning the expensive way" ;P
    Thanks for the support!