Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can: not ready in can Car

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like

Can: not ready in can Car

Hi Forum,

I have issues with a HEX-USB+CAN cable. In the settings I get the error that the can is not ready, although a friend with a diffrent cable is able to do so.

VCDS runs on Windows 7 and my car is a Golf MK 5, so it definitely has CAN. Did I miss something?

Thanks for your time!

Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If another one works and yours does not, then it seems yours is likely defective. If it is the one with the serial number you provided when you joined the forum, it is over 10 years old....

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that could be correct, as I bought it second hand. Which would explain why somebody wanted to get rid of it. :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Open it up. Check connections between pins 6 & 14 of the diagnostic plug and the main circuit board.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes Boki Ar, b00nSai liked this post
    Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was not sure how much of the PCB I can show in public, so I framed just the pinheaders. There is "HEX-PRO_4" etched on the PCB. Is it normal the PCB is fixed by hot glue?
    I measured the following connections:
    Green connects to pin 14 and red to pin 6. All measured connections have around 4 Ohms, which is probably the measuring inaccuracy of my multimeter.

Julian
    Last edited by b00nSai; 11-19-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, hot melt glue is normal on those. It keeps the back end of the board from moving around.

You have two pads on the main board circled in green. Only one should connect to pin 14. Is it possible there's a short somewhere?

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like I have a short from Can-Low to Vehicle-Ground. Unfortunately, I can't spot an obvious reason on first sight. Do you have any hints?

Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b00nSai View Post
    It seems like I have a short from Can-Low to Vehicle-Ground. Unfortunately, I can't spot an obvious reason on first sight. Do you have any hints?
    I don't have one that old handy for reference. I suppose it could be a failed CAN transceiver...?

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can try to locate it on the PCB and replace it with another one, IF I can find another one online.
    So I would conclude that I spent 270 € for a faulty cable and I should never again buy special hardware second-hand. Nevertheless, thank you for your support.

Julian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Post detailed pics of both sides of the board please. I should be able to identify the CAN transceiver.

-Uwe-