Thread: Police / Security mode - Engine running unable to move from Park without keys

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Police / Security mode - Engine running unable to move from Park without keys

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent setting to what they call "secure idle" on the fords for an Audi S5? It basically allows you to have the car running but in Park and it does not allow gears to be engaged if the key is not in the car. For vehicles with roof and warning lights you can see why this would be useful

Cheers, Andy

Police Engine Idle feature (AKA SecureIdle)

– This feature allows you to leave the engine running and prevents your vehicle from unauthorized use when outside of your vehicle. Allows the key to be removed from ignition while vehicle remains idling, the running vehicle cannot be put into any gear.

It's BCM: 726-42-01 x1xx xxxx xxxx

For keyed ignitions, it requires a button. Keyless ignitions work without any added buttons.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never heard of this and can't really see a reason why you'd want it. On the VW range they have a webasto parking heater which can heat up the car and defog the windows by timer or remote.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    whenever I had to leave my gti running, I just left the key in it and locked it with the fob.

either a quick disconnect on your keyring, or an extra key in your pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this feature exists on Police vehicles, but those ordered from VW are also considered special vehicles with some different hardware/software.

Like on B6, it had issues with Can-GW on Police cars and new had to be special ordered with note for "Police vehicle".
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myounus View Post
    I've never heard of this and can't really see a reason why you'd want it. On the VW range they have a webasto parking heater which can heat up the car and defog the windows by timer or remote.
    I think you misunderstood my post, it was not related to auxiliary heating but other items like lightbars etc

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    I know this feature exists on Police vehicles, but those ordered from VW are also considered special vehicles with some different hardware/software.

Like on B6, it had issues with Can-GW on Police cars and new had to be special ordered with note for "Police vehicle".
    Thats a shame, i've not seen the setting either but its good to see it on the ford etc

Post Thanks / Like
    If you were to find a way to do this, I could see you having an interesting time with your insurance company if the car was stolen while in that mode.

If the engine's running, presumably the ECUs have to remain powered up, so someone nefarious could conceivably change whatever coding options you changed back, and drive the car away.

I'd imagine Police vehicles are covered by somewhat unusual insurance policies...
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Gendan View Post
    If you were to find a way to do this, I could see you having an interesting time with your insurance company if the car was stolen while in that mode.

If the engine's running, presumably the ECUs have to remain powered up, so someone nefarious could conceivably change whatever coding options you changed back, and drive the car away.

I'd imagine Police vehicles are covered by somewhat unusual insurance policies...
    Thanks for the reply Mike, I actually purchased my cable through you guys

Your correct, Police, in the same way as ambulance and fire, actually utilise their own insurance with a government set pot of money I believe. Strange that Ford have this as such and easy change, i've not put it on the wife EcoSport though.

10. Likes Mike@Gendan liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    MWL (Motorweiterlauf) is accomplished in VAG cars using an additional module which should be located at address 3D.

A possible part number of such a device is 1T0 907 427.

Sorry, but that is all I know. You can find some German documentation using Google, but nothing to specific.

12. Likes DarkyUK, jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    @TBAx Great info, thanks for being so helpful