No spark on 3-rd cylinder

bane

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
Hi need advice or help with no spark at all on 3rd-cylinder on polo 1.4 16v AFH engine. Alredy Cheked the cable with unimeter changed the rotor arm cleaned the contacts in the dizzy changed the spark plugs but yet no spark. What could tehnicly cause that and whats the best way to diagnose this.

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Hi need advice or help with no spark at all on 3rd-cylinder on polo 1.4 16v AFH engine. Alredy Cheked the cable with unimeter changed the rotor arm cleaned the contacts in the dizzy changed the spark plugs but yet no spark. What could tehnicly cause that and whats the best way to diagnose this.

Must be a pretty old polo to have a distributor?

An Auto-Scan would be useful.

Tried checking the continuity in the distributor cap?

bane

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
yes its 1996. Dont have diagnostics :( to scan with. How to check that ?

bane

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
actualy in the service where i take it there was vcds and they diagnose faulty throttle body which i replaced it and the idle is ok. But they didnt see this thing with no spark in 3rd cyl. I discovered by myself with extra spark plug. Other weird thing i noticed is if card idles 20 min without being driven it shuts off and cant starti it within 20 min i suppose till cool off. This two problems now are my enigmatics

Gremling

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319714
Problem solved?
If not, how is temp reading, hot engine might cause issues.
Also how is coil, and have you noticed any arcing in coil or distributor cap (erratic sounds from these two areas can be tell tale signs of issues. Also running engine (engine covers removed) in dark room can make it easier to see arces. I assume you have taken distributor cap off and cleaned it with alcohol (some other dissolvents can lay a current leading layer as red methylated spirit), removing any dust and corrosion on "pick-up" pins to plug leads inside distr cap.

Back