New device in pipeline?? Hexnet age?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hello UWE, is there already an expected release date for the DoIP interface?
Not an exact date, no. Spring of 2020.

-Uwe-

cpi_10

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC710216 (NRRT)
Can we with the new DoIP Interface are the old cars from 2000 Audi A4 reading or is this with the new Interface not possible

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Can we with the new DoIP Interface are the old cars from 2000 Audi A4 reading or is this with the new Interface not possible

My understanding is the DOIP-enabled HEX-NET will essentially be the same as the current version (from a user-experience point of view), but with DOIP added on, so you won't lose any of the functionality of the current generation interface.
After all as Uwe has said, no VAG models require DOIP yet, so there would be no real reason to supply a DOIP-only product.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
My understanding is the DOIP-enabled HEX-NET will essentially be the same as the current version (from a user-experience point of view), but with DOIP added
Mike, your understanding is correct. The HEX-NET 2 will remain compatible with all VAG models from 1990 through 2020 and will add DoIP capability for the future should it come into play as we expect it will.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
My German is rubbish, what's the summary (in English)?
I just copied and pasted chunks of it into Google Translate, but it sounded like adaptations and coding and parameterization will require a PKI-based, per-session challenge-response that will require interaction with a Volkswagen backend database, not unlike Immobilizer works today. I think it may work as a replacement for Security Access codes. In short, no modifications without ODIS online.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
In short, no modifications without ODIS online.
I think that would fall foul of at least EU law that requires third parties to be able to service and maintain vehicles, since the requirement for ODIS online could be argued as a restrictive practice.

I suspect US law will have a view about it too...

Reactions: Uwe

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I think that would fall foul of at least EU law that requires third parties to be able to service and maintain vehicles, since the requirement for ODIS online could be argued as a restrictive practice.

Unfortunately FIAT Chrysler are already doing it.
Many 2018 or newer models have a Security Gateway Module between the diagnostic socket and the system behind.
They are licensing access to their security server, but I've heard rumours of applications from some of the big Chinese players in the diagnostic market being rejected.
I'm not aware of a legal challenge happening yet.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
My understanding is that as long as the "tool" is made available, US law will be met. Pay basis and so on is permitted and there are no stipulations on the range of cost permitted. The law only deals with availability by any who would want access.

Back