New device in pipeline?? Hexnet age?

sheepie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345371
Hi i have been using vcds for a while BUT now want my own tool BUT worried about age of the hexnet.
I am looking at buying the full pro hex net package at about £600 and as i am just starting up worried a new
device is just round the corner ? If over a year away no issues tho

thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The old HEX+CAN was in production as our "bread and butter" interface for 12 years.

The HEX-NET has only been around for a bit more than four years. :)

Now to be honest, there is a revised version of the HEX-NET in the works that will have some enhancements, but I do not expect to see it in production until late next year.

-Uwe-

sheepie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345371
The old HEX+CAN was in production as our "bread and butter" interface for 12 years.

The HEX-NET has only been around for a bit more than four years. :)

Now to be honest, there is a revised version of the HEX-NET in the works that will have some enhancements, but I do not expect to see it in production until late next year.

-Uwe-

Is the hex net older than the hex V2 cable ?

I also heard some units are made on license ? Do the qualitys differ ?

Also does the hex net connect direct via wireless to laptop aswell ie without router? It just such a big investmeant for me just starting up
and upgrade if another model comes out seems to be only £100 upgrade credit against new model.

Thanks for your help

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is the hex net older than the hex V2 cable ?
Yes, the HEX-V2 was introduced to the market at the very end of 2016 (a bit less than two years ago).

However some background is necessary for context. The HEX-NET was our vision for a top-of-the-line interface that included wireless capabilities and enough processing power to run VCDS-Mobile. That made it relatively expensive to produce. A bit later, when it became obvious that the old workhorse HEX+CAN interface would not be able to support some of the things going on in the latest cars, we took the path of least resistance with the HEX-V2: Use the same processor as the HEX-NET, but strip out all the expensive stuff (WiFi module, fancy power supply, and on-board storage) that wasn't needed in a simple wired interface. This also allowed us to re-use all the work that had already gone into developing the software for the HEX-NET in the HEX-V2. Thus the HEX-NET and the HEX-V2 are very closely related products.

I also heard some units are made on license ? Do the qualitys differ ?
All HEX-NETs are made in the same place.

There are two places that HEX-V2 boards are made, and some of our European distributors do final assembly of the HEX-V2 themselves. I do not think there is a difference in quality.

Also does the hex net connect direct via wireless to laptop as well ie without router?
Yes, the HEX-NET can operate in two different WiFi modes: "Infrastructure" is where it connects to an existing WiFi network, and "Access Point", where it creates its own network that your laptop (or phone or tablet) connects to. "Access Point" is primarily intended for use "on the road"; the problem with it is that neither the HEX-NET nor your laptop will have internet access in this mode.

and upgrade if another model comes out seems to be only £100 upgrade credit against new model.
I can't predict in advance what upgrade offers will be available when a new interface comes out. We always strive to keep our products compatible with the latest cars. The question is: At what point will a future upgrade become compelling for you? We still have thousands of of customers happily using the older HEX+CAN interfaces that we stopped selling at the end of 2016 because they have not yet found it necessary to upgrade. Current "Release" versions of VCDS still support those HEX+CAN interfaces (as well as every other interface we've made/sold since the beginning of 2004) and we don't expect that to change in the foreseeable future.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

sheepie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345371
What a reply ! this is exactly why i want a genuine tool for support ! I think hex net sounds like the one for me as being mobile means i can diagnose cars from outside the car without a wireless router .

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
it wasn't explained above, but the hex-net also can use direct usb connection to windows vcds program (ie works like hex v2 or other usb adapters). vcds can also connect over wifi.

if you do not have access to internet (access point mode), then the mobile version does have some limited functionality.

for full functionality without internet, you will need to use the full vcds program, either via direct usb connection, or either wifi connection indicated above.

Ciamardo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105004
-Uwe-

mmhhh...... "some enhancements" = DoIP :confused:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
mmhhh...... "some enhancements" = DoIP :confused:
Yes, that's one of them.

FWIW, there is still no VW-Audi Group car that requires DoIP, and although there are several of them in production that support it, ODIS itself refuses to use it, even on those cars that support it. This means we have no idea when (if ever) it will be required, but we wish to be ready for it if/when it is required.

-Uwe-

cpi_10

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC710216 (NRRT)
Hello UWE, if DOIP is used in VAG then we need a new VCDS connector? or is it only with the HEX-NET cable? How can we imagine that?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hello UWE, if DOIP is used in VAG then we need a new VCDS connector? or is it only with the HEX-NET cable? How can we imagine that?
Nothing has changed since I last addressed this subject 6 months ago. There are still no cars that require DoIP, not even the latest e-tron quattro from Audi. Maybe the new ID series? We don't know yet.

Yes, if/when there is a car that requires DoIP, you will need a new interface.

-Uwe-

cpi_10

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC710216 (NRRT)
With the Hex-Net, it should work but the DOIP?

whether direct connection in the LAN port RJ45 with OBD, or HEX NET over W-Lan is in principle the same or?.
-----------------------------------------------
Is there a vision for HEX-V2 DOIP on the subject, man could just switch an adapter in between, as the picture in the appendix or? Or will something like that come not into question if DOIP is implemented.

https://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=V8Y76AA&opt=ABB&sel=ACC

I apologize for asking with such a curiosity. Here is the following background, I want to buy the Hex-Net and I am afraid that I then no longer need it because of the MLB / EVO conversion in the future.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
With the Hex-Net, it should work but the DOIP?
What is "it"?

The upcoming second-generation HEX-NET will support DOIP transparently. You plug it in and it works just like a HEX-NET, via K-Lines, CAN, or DoIP. You connect to the HEX-NET using USB or WiFi, or you can use VCDS-Mobile.

I apologize for asking with such a curiosity. Here is the following background, I want to buy the Hex-Net and I am afraid that I then no longer need it because of the MLB / EVO conversion in the future.
You have a HEX+CAN now, correct? One that you have not registered with us....

What kind(s) of car(s) do you have now?

-Uwe-

cpi_10

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC710216 (NRRT)
Yes i have current the HEX-CAN, but i will make a upgrade to HEX-NET. But when the appearance from the HEX-NET Generation 2 in a short time is. I will waiting to this and buy Gen.2.

The Car Current are, A6 4g ( Golf 7 ) A4 8w. But i have with Hex Can in some control Units Problem with the fault codes or adjustments.

When can we expect the Hex-Net Gen.2?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
is there an off chance that existing hex-nets may be able to be upgraded physically (ie send unit to RT, swap in new board or whatever), or even mail any upgraded component(s) to user for user installation ?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
is there an off chance that existing hex-nets may be able to be upgraded physically (ie send unit to RT, swap in new board or whatever), or even mail any upgraded component(s) to user for user installation ?
No, I'm afraid not. It will be an all new board set. If you look at the requirements for electrical isolation of ethernet, you'd see that this is not a trivial upgrade; and yes, we're doing this "by the book" (unlike some products out there). Moreover, the existing micro-controller in the HEX-NET doesn't have the requisite on-board peripherals to support it, so there will be a new one used. And last, we'll be upgrading the WiFi module to a newer spec. So this is kinda like asking whether and iPhone 6 can be upgraded to iPhone X specifications. ;)

But look at it this way: There is no compelling reason for to have a DoIP-capable interface unless/until VAG starts selling cars that require it for diagnostic access, and as I've stated repeatedly, we don't know when (if ever!) they will do that. We simply don't want to get caught with our pants down if they ever do.

-Uwe-

Gizmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49193
Nothing has changed since I last addressed this subject 6 months ago. There are still no cars that require DoIP, not even the latest e-tron quattro from Audi. Maybe the new ID series? We don't know yet.

Yes, if/when there is a car that requires DoIP, you will need a new interface.

-Uwe-

Will you also be revising the HEX-V2 to include DoIP?

Currently have HEX-NET but considering I use it via the cable 99% of the time you could say it is a bit overkill.

However I have an ID.3 (1st Edition) pre-booked so just weighing up my option on if I may need to upgrade again.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Will you also be revising the HEX-V2 to include DoIP?
Not unless/until we are sure there is a need for it.

-Uwe-

cpi_10

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC710216 (NRRT)
Hello UWE, is there already an expected release date for the DoIP interface?

Can man with the new DoIP interface then the non DoIP capable vehicles reading

Back