Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New device in pipeline?? Hexnet age?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

New device in pipeline?? Hexnet age?

Hi i have been using vcds for a while BUT now want my own tool BUT worried about age of the hexnet.
    I am looking at buying the full pro hex net package at about £600 and as i am just starting up worried a new
    device is just round the corner ? If over a year away no issues tho

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The old HEX+CAN was in production as our "bread and butter" interface for 12 years.

The HEX-NET has only been around for a bit more than four years.

Now to be honest, there is a revised version of the HEX-NET in the works that will have some enhancements, but I do not expect to see it in production until late next year.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    The old HEX+CAN was in production as our "bread and butter" interface for 12 years.

The HEX-NET has only been around for a bit more than four years.

Now to be honest, there is a revised version of the HEX-NET in the works that will have some enhancements, but I do not expect to see it in production until late next year.

-Uwe-
    Is the hex net older than the hex V2 cable ?

I also heard some units are made on license ? Do the qualitys differ ?

Also does the hex net connect direct via wireless to laptop aswell ie without router? It just such a big investmeant for me just starting up
    and upgrade if another model comes out seems to be only £100 upgrade credit against new model.

Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepie View Post
    Is the hex net older than the hex V2 cable ?
    Yes, the HEX-V2 was introduced to the market at the very end of 2016 (a bit less than two years ago).

However some background is necessary for context. The HEX-NET was our vision for a top-of-the-line interface that included wireless capabilities and enough processing power to run VCDS-Mobile. That made it relatively expensive to produce. A bit later, when it became obvious that the old workhorse HEX+CAN interface would not be able to support some of the things going on in the latest cars, we took the path of least resistance with the HEX-V2: Use the same processor as the HEX-NET, but strip out all the expensive stuff (WiFi module, fancy power supply, and on-board storage) that wasn't needed in a simple wired interface. This also allowed us to re-use all the work that had already gone into developing the software for the HEX-NET in the HEX-V2. Thus the HEX-NET and the HEX-V2 are very closely related products.

I also heard some units are made on license ? Do the qualitys differ ?
    All HEX-NETs are made in the same place.

There are two places that HEX-V2 boards are made, and some of our European distributors do final assembly of the HEX-V2 themselves. I do not think there is a difference in quality.

Also does the hex net connect direct via wireless to laptop as well ie without router?
    Yes, the HEX-NET can operate in two different WiFi modes: "Infrastructure" is where it connects to an existing WiFi network, and "Access Point", where it creates its own network that your laptop (or phone or tablet) connects to. "Access Point" is primarily intended for use "on the road"; the problem with it is that neither the HEX-NET nor your laptop will have internet access in this mode.

and upgrade if another model comes out seems to be only £100 upgrade credit against new model.
    I can't predict in advance what upgrade offers will be available when a new interface comes out. We always strive to keep our products compatible with the latest cars. The question is: At what point will a future upgrade become compelling for you? We still have thousands of of customers happily using the older HEX+CAN interfaces that we stopped selling at the end of 2016 because they have not yet found it necessary to upgrade. Current "Release" versions of VCDS still support those HEX+CAN interfaces (as well as every other interface we've made/sold since the beginning of 2004) and we don't expect that to change in the foreseeable future.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 11-02-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes PetrolDave, mattylondon, D-Dub, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if I should start saving for Revised Hex-NET
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

8. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a reply ! this is exactly why i want a genuine tool for support ! I think hex net sounds like the one for me as being mobile means i can diagnose cars from outside the car without a wireless router .

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    it wasn't explained above, but the hex-net also can use direct usb connection to windows vcds program (ie works like hex v2 or other usb adapters). vcds can also connect over wifi.

if you do not have access to internet (access point mode), then the mobile version does have some limited functionality.

for full functionality without internet, you will need to use the full vcds program, either via direct usb connection, or either wifi connection indicated above.

11. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    -Uwe-
    mmhhh...... "some enhancements" = DoIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciamardo View Post
    mmhhh...... "some enhancements" = DoIP
    Yes, that's one of them.

FWIW, there is still no VW-Audi Group car that requires DoIP, and although there are several of them in production that support it, ODIS itself refuses to use it, even on those cars that support it. This means we have no idea when (if ever) it will be required, but we wish to be ready for it if/when it is required.

-Uwe-

14. Likes PetrolDave, jyoung8607, Gizmo liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello UWE, if DOIP is used in VAG then we need a new VCDS connector? or is it only with the HEX-NET cable? How can we imagine that?