Problems wih interface drivers after updating version 18.9.0

-Jake-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304067
Hi,

I have a HEX-V2 (H10-004687 -bought form Ross-Tech) with win 7 laptop. So far it has given the support to my problems with my Audi. All earlier updates have been completed successfully, but now when VCDS recommended to update the VCDS SW to 18.9.0 thing went south. The actual VCDS update was successful, but I got a problem with interface module.

After update I got the normal "first use/ No config file found" message and I made the port test which was ok and said that firmware update is required.

--> clik ok and the VCDS Interface config (v2.242) opened. It was totally blank and it said in bottom "Unable to open the interface, it maybe used by another program"

It looks like the drives are not the ones in download package. I tried to remove the interface drives manually, but it seems that windows determines and installing "best" drives in every time when i'm plug-in the interface.

Does any one else had similar problems?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS does not supply actual drivers for a HEX-V2, which enumerates as an HID device. The drivers supplied with VCDS are for older, "legacy" interfaces that do require specific drivers.

Unplug the HEX-V2 from all power (both USB and car). Give it a minute or two. Plug it into your computer only. What is the behavior of the LEDs?

-Uwe-

PS: Moved from Forum Support & Feedback to Product Support.

-Jake-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304067
Hi,

The LED's are blinking in blue.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Then the interface thinks it has enumerated with a driver.

It's possible you have some conflicting software that's that's grabbing the interface.

-Uwe-

-Jake-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304067
Can't deny nor confirm that there would not be any conflict by another program. I did google to find out how to check this , but could not find so far any indication that there would be some other program in use. Note that I'm not an IT guy so might be the case that I just could not find one. The laptop I'm using is my work laptop, so there are no other diagnostic sw's.

I also noticed that all fields in (interface) registration tab is empty. I quess this is due tot he reason that VCDS is not able to connect to the interface and therefore proper info can't not be read from it?

Could there be so issues related to updating from earlier version to 18.9.0? I mean can there be some bits of old installation which should have been removed automatically while the update was installed but for some reason remained in hard drive and these files are associating with interface at the moment preventing the connection?

-Jake-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304067
I removed the the installation of ver. 18.9.0 and installed ver. 18.2.1. I made port test which was ok and the status of interface was "questionable". Interface config informs still same message "Unable to open the interface, it maybe used by another program"it

Question for win 7 users: If you open device manager --> universal serial bus controllers: do you see "Ross-Tech direct USB interface" as it shows in this video (on win 10) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I63fV1HoMQ

I can't see this on my universal serial bus controller listing.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Question for win 7 users: If you open device manager --> universal serial bus controllers: do you see "Ross-Tech direct USB interface" as it shows in this video (on win 10) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I63fV1HoMQ
No, that's only applicable to the older interfaces.

Try this: Unplug your interface. Open Device Manager. Expand Human Interface Devices. Plug in your interface. One or even two new devices should appear.

Here's my Device Manger without a HEX-V2 plugged in:

3dUnh0m.png

And here it is with a HEX-V2 plugged in:

2ytHNoy.png

I have a fuzzy recollection that certain touchpad software on some laptops can interfere with the HEX-V2.

-Uwe-

-Jake-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304067
Hi,

Same here, so it is recognized in device manager as HID device.

This is result after reboot with no other USB devices connected.

I'm still not able to connect to the interface.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Since the interface thinks it has successfully enumerated (blue LEDs) and Device Manager sees it, the only thing I can think of is that some other (ill-behaved) piece of software is grabbing it and holding on to it.

Try this:

Start -> type in: MSCONFIG
Click the Startup tab.
- Then click the [Disable all] button
Click the Services tab.
- Put a checkmark next to Hide all all Microsoft Services
- Then click the [Disable all] bitton
Click [OK].

You should then be prompted that you need to restart your PC. Do so.

After it reboots, can you connect to the interface?

-Uwe-

-Jake-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304067
I did try your instruction and it turned my laptop a completely brick. Grey screen, nothing worked. By using the task manager managed to enable all services and brick turned to a working computer. :)

I did try only disable all programs from the startup tab and this worked. I was able to connect to interface via VCDS and I manged to update the firmware.

After update the interface status is still "questionable". Is this normal?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I did try your instruction and it turned my laptop a completely brick. Grey screen, nothing worked.
That's rather strange.

By using the task manager managed to enable all services and brick turned to a working computer. :)
OK. :)

I did try only disable all programs from the startup tab and this worked. I was able to connect to interface via VCDS and I manged to update the firmware.
Cool! Now your mission is to figure out which of the programs in your Startup tab is ill-behaved enough to grab/block access to the interface and report back. :thanks:

After update the interface status is still "questionable". Is this normal?
Yes, if it sees no power at all from the car side, that is normal.

-Uwe-

Back