Thread: Case Study: 2008 A6, more screwy bulb games....

Post Thanks / Like

Case Study: 2008 A6, more screwy bulb games....

Lights bulbs... what they are and how they are installed matters!

2008 A6, has tail light issues in the CCM:

4 Faults Found:
    02742 - Bulb for Brake/Turn Signal Light; Left
    009 - Open or Short to Ground

02743 - Bulb for Brake/Turn Signal Light; Right

01506 - Bulb for Rear Fog; Right (L47)

01518 - Bulb for Back-Up Lights; Left (M16)

I don't know what all the back story on this car is, but they just installed a new from dealer CCM due to the tail light issue. As I understand it, the CCM was replaced because of the tail light issues. Shop finds powers and grounds for CCM to be good, wiring from CCM to tail lights is good, but the CCM is only providing "3 volts" to the bulbs. CCM part number and coding looks to be spot on for this VIN.

Are there aftermarket bulbs in this thing? No, looks like normal bulbs, all light up it given power/ground.

OK, new CCM, no wiring issues, crap bulbs can be an issue.... using the wiring diagram, we ID the Rear Fog, Right (L47) bulb. Now take that bulb and install it on the left side, and left side bulb to the right side. Clear codes... and now the fault code changes to 01502 - Bulb for Rear Fog; Left (L46) Open/short to ground.

Taking a closer look at the bulbs... no marking on them to be found, look to be very generic bulbs.... C.R.A.P. is my guess. As per PL24, these should be common P21W bulbs (4x) and PY21W (1x) per tail light. Get all new known good brand bulbs.... cheap investment after buying a CCM.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    If not Flosser, Narva, Hella or Osram... gonna have a BAD time!
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 11-07-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

3. Likes Uwe liked this post