VCDS 18.9 Radio Pop during Autoscan

wimbor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=346898
After acquiring my new VCDS HEX-V2 interface I did an autoscan on both our family's cars, an Audi A3 Sportback and a SEAT Leon. Both scans worked, but I noticed that during the Autoscan on the Audi (with the radio on) each of the speakers (one by one) makes a loud but very short 'pop'. This does not happen on the Leon.

The sound is very short, but quite loud, so I do wonder:
- Is this normal?
- Could it damage the speakers?
- What can I do to avoid it?

Thanks for any information you can give on this.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
- Is this normal?
Probably. Depending on make/model/year specifics, it's normal to see a reaction from some modules when a diagnostic session is opened. As one example, you may see an ABS/ESP light go on and hear a beep from the instrument cluster when VCDS is connected to address 03. As another, you may hear silence or pops, or see a diagnostic mode active display, when connected to various radio or amplifier related addresses like 07, 47, or 56.

- Could it damage the speakers?
It's unlikely. The behavior happens by manufacturer design (of the control module, not VCDS).

Don't scan the car, I suppose. :)

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924

Don't scan the car, I suppose. :)

Of course, another option might be to turn the radio down (or off) before doing an autoscan if you find the noise really annoying.
Some radios go silent when you scan them and some make noises.

Have Fun!

Don

Reactions: Uwe

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Of course, another option might be to turn the radio down (or off) before doing an autoscan if you find the noise really annoying.
Some radios go silent when you scan them and some make noises.
May work, may not. As another example, the Premium 5 and Premium 6 head units in the MkIV/B5 platforms will actually turn themselves on, if they weren't already on, and will proceed to make various clicky noises through the speakers as well as display "DIAG." in the LCD.

Just to reinforce something for the OP here, the clicks and pops are diagnostic self-tests, not something you need to worry about causing damage.

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
This is, as mentioned, completely normal. It has nothing to do with the VCDS version or the interface. The official tool also causes the same behaviour.

wimbor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=346898
Thanks everyone for this feedback! First time user so this really helps.

I did indeed hear al kinds of noises and beeps from actuators and other devices. It was the difference between the two cars that made me worry. Glad to hear it is normal.

I will indeed try to autoscan with radio off to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again!

Back