College football!

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
For whatever reason, college football has become a guilty pleasure of mine.

I know, it's not the pros. But for some reason it's more interesting.

Maybe it's part history (been playing the game for over 100 years, well before the establishment of the NFL), pageantry, trash talking and the whole subjective ranking system across the many different divisions that all plays into it and of course long-standing rivalries among some teams that meet most every year.

Growing up in the Mid West, sure, we have our share of NFL teams, though most of them don't have the greatest history if you're in the Ohio and Michigan region. Maybe that's part of the reason many in the area turn to college ball. But, if you've attended games, there are some college programs that make it so much more of an event than the pros. Traditional cheers, taunts, chants, the band plays quick little diddies to taunt the opposing team in certain situations with the crowd joining in. It's just a whole other level of experience not found in the pros. And it comes as a bit of a surprise to find out that the biggest by seating capacity stadiums are all college. You have to get down to #8 to find an NFL team, and that's the temporary location the Los Angeles Rams are using and SHARING with USC, again, a college program.

So, who's got a favorite team? Are you alum or is it just your local school? Or maybe you like a school you're not at all affiliated with just because?

I grew up in Michigan, initially in an area that was split between Michigan State and Michigan, eventually moved much closer to Ann Arbor and worked in town, my little sister ended up attending U of M and I did eventually attend a game. Before, I had watched games with some interest on TV, but it's a whole other experience actually attending a home game at The Big House.

That having been said, this last weekend was particularly enjoyable, us beating Michigan State and watching arch-enemy Ohio State get blown out by Purdue.

Some days I wonder if the 49ers (who are technically the closest pro team to me now--if they were still actually playing in San Francisco) ever regret firing Jim Harbaugh, but hey, it worked out for my guys back in Michigan.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
"We are Penn State" - not an alum... I adopted Penn State as my school of choice owing to my love of that area of Pennsylvania and finding myself on campus lots. State College is a spectacularly beautiful place.

The Nitany Lions have not had the season we all hoped. The loss to Ohio State and then to Michigan State were both heart breakers. This was to be their year. Apparently they still have not made the elite consistent perennial top winner they strive to be.

Purdue slamming Ohio State last weekend was awesome to watch! Michigan over Michigan State - great game. We have Michigan this week or next.. can't remember the schedule and I likely miss the game because I will be out in Lost Wages for the AAPEX/SEMA shows.

I happen to agree with you dieseldub... I love college football more than the pros. College brings a different kind of excitement. I love going to the games and listening to bands and the crowd. Being at PSU for a home game is really an experience, being there with 106,000 passionate alum and students. When the cheer goes up.. "We Are Penn State" the whole valley reverberates with the volume! Fun! Awesome!

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
"We are Penn State" - not an alum... I adopted Penn State as my school of choice owing to my love of that area of Pennsylvania and finding myself on campus lots. State College is a spectacularly beautiful place.

The Nitany Lions have not had the season we all hoped. The loss to Ohio State and then to Michigan State were both heart breakers. This was to be their year. Apparently they still have not made the elite consistent perennial top winner they strive to be.

Purdue slamming Ohio State last weekend was awesome to watch! Michigan over Michigan State - great game. We have Michigan this week or next.. can't remember the schedule and I likely miss the game because I will be out in Lost Wages for the AAPEX/SEMA shows.

I happen to agree with you dieseldub... I love college football more than the pros. College brings a different kind of excitement. I love going to the games and listening to bands and the crowd. Being at PSU for a home game is really an experience, being there with 106,000 passionate alum and students. When the cheer goes up.. "We Are Penn State" the whole valley reverberates with the volume! Fun! Awesome!

Yess!! Another Big 10 fan.

Kind of funny, that one game I went to (must have been 2006 or 7) was a home game against Penn State. Old Joe Pa vs. Lloyd Carr game.

Post Joe and Sandusky scandal, Penn State was definitely in a bit of a rut. Have to give credit to Franklin for his great turnaround the last few years. You guys have looked very good. Also fun to watch anyone beat up on Ohio State a little!

I do have to agree re: the crazy atmosphere in Happy Valley. The white out every home game and the sheer volume comes across on the TV quite well. It's pretty intense and loud!

Michigan has a bye this weekend, then plays Penn State. Should be interesting! Michigan's defense is stouter than ever and the offense can make some progress. It's not as high-flying and scoring as some, but combined with the stout defense, they can get the job done enough to win games. Penn State definitely doesn't look quite as explosive without Saquon Barkley running, but Trace McSorely is a very good QB and has at least what? 3 full years experience at Penn State now?

Should be an interesting game for sure. You guys annihilated Michigan last year with our sputtering offense that couldn't complete a pass to save its life, but I have a feeling it will be much closer this time. Very different looking offense from last year.

That's college for ya. It can change pretty radically year over year with the high turnover nature of players at the college level--they're only there for a few years if that.

dafrazi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=173774
With the current state of whining and crying in the NFL about money and rule changes, college football is head and shoulders more enjoyable to watch than the NFL.
I grew up a Georgia fan but went to Clemson. The last few years have been exciting for my alma mater. However, I was there in the lean years of the early 90s but even when we were bad the game experience was great.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Go Big Orange VOLs..... because my wife get 2 pairs of season passes that we sell. Use to make $1000 profit quick and easy... now no one wants to tickets because the team sucks.

shokoman

Reaction score
I played football in collage too, atmosphere is awesome! Even have some nostalgy

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I played football in collage too, atmosphere is awesome! Even have some nostalgy
Which kind of football?

This?
football.svg

Or this?
football-md.png

;)

Back