HEX-V2 red LED flashing & asking for "reboot"

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Bit of a FUBAR here ….

I use the same laptop for VCDS as I have for the past 7yrs, all use, updates etc, & spec has not changed in the past 3yrs. I have used my current V2 cable on it flawlessly since I got about 1yr ago.

Current problem is I hadn't used the laptop for a week (I have a big desktop), so switch it on for VCDS. Laptop is fine, VCDS loads up & calls for 18.9.0 update. To click on download. Downloads & installs VCDS on laptop ok. Open 18.9.0 , plug in HEX-V2 & VCDS finds the dongle & states Firmware update is required, so downloads firmware from Rosstech. Downloads ok, & then starts installing firmware onto dongle.

Now this is the bit which is where the FUBAR occurred.....:facepalm:

It gets part way through installing firmware onto the HEX-V2...but seems to be "stuck" with the green bar about 2/3 the way across, & windows 10 update software wants to update the operating system, same time as Java is also crying for.... an update install....& the laptop battery supply drops down & shuts the laptop into hibernate...

Unfortunately I was no paying 100% attention & the battery was 50%..so WTF happened I don't know (suspect rapid power drain as SSD & early shutdown level)?...So plug in mains power, press power button & computer comes back to as the screen was & with VCDS still installing firmware….

VCDS still shows two bars for installing firmware...top bar is 2/3 across & bottom one goes from no green to "31%" & back to 0..so its moving...& stating "installing " & then numbers eg 2 of 890...& those keep goinfrom zero to about 1000 & back....

So it appears its stuck in a loop...(due to power off/hibernate as under device drivers for it "computer can turn off device to save power" was ticked)...& it does this for ages so I exit out of programme & mases of pop ups "do you want to send:-jowqern8934rhoi;pwer9y2348hiohfn9p84rweinfp48ufq8034yrrifhp9r8fh"??…..& some are like a few hundred characters long"...after clicking yes on about a dozen of these the program closes...

Anyway shut computer down, restart 30 mins later load up VCDS 18.9.0..& its fine, plug in dongle...flashing red LED..ok,...try to "Test" & can't fine it...check device manager on the computer & the drivers are there & it states "Device is running properly"....go into the Config V2.242 page check updates..fine..try to install..& pop up screen states "that cant find device ..plug in..& if plugged in try rebooting..."

So how what do I do next?...had a Google but found nothing.....

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
Right had a look at various threads on problems with 18.9 updates..seems like this update is a headache for other people too..

I have resarted the compure various time..its fine.as are the VCDS drivers..

So run VCDS Config V2.242 manually...& "check for updates"..programme checks for updates & dongle is plugged in a blinking red...

Programe states "update found"..so download update..connects to server...

"applying update" green bar moves & then stops...& transferring moves..then stops...….

HANG ON!!….

Just as I was re-trying the above whioch failed....it appears to have worked...

CB 0.4436.4

SW 0.251

interface found!!…

Basically re-try several times...I think this was the fourth attempt....& do full shut downs..infact just do re-starts as Win10 changes the shutdowns to hibernate..so not a restart in full...

now to test on car..as the test function in the programme has worked....

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If you have such problems again, you can always use your desktop machine to update the interface. You don't even have to install VCDS on it, just grab VCIConfig.exe and hidapi.dll from the VCDS folder.

-Uwe-

VAG-Dave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC806344
If you have such problems again, you can always use your desktop machine to update the interface. You don't even have to install VCDS on it, just grab VCIConfig.exe and hidapi.dll from the VCDS folder.

-Uwe-

Thanks for that...

I had thought about it as last re4sort..but doing a straight download from here....

I was more concerned that as a power/shut off had occurred whilst the firmware was being updated to the dongle...that I had "bricked it"..& now had a very expensive decoration...

Anyway just did an autoscan on car all ok...

Which is good as I'm taking the car in next Tuesday for MOT & the EPB safety software update.....which I recon should have been done 1yr ago, but dealer says its only just been released in UK..??..

Anyway I wanted to make an admap & autoscan before it goes in...

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I was more concerned that as a power/shut off had occurred whilst the firmware was being updated to the dongle...that I had "bricked it"..& now had a very expensive decoration...
Nah... I don't think we've seen one yet that's not recoverable.

-Uwe-

Back