Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf 7 illuminated door sills retrofit

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Golf 7 illuminated door sills retrofit

I would like to retrofit illuminated door sills on my Golf 7. I have looked at WDs but I am not sure about where I would connect them.

Maybe they just go in parallel with the footwell illumination, I think.

Does anybody know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I suggest you obtain the Official Factory Repair Information and have a look in the wiring diagrams for the comfort system / doors.

You should be able to see the "W67" and "W68" Fiber optic cable for left/right front sill panel ambient lighting are connected into the "J386 and "J387" door control modules.

You may also have to consider new/different coding? for the doors and maybe different door controllers too? I have not performed this procedure, so I could be wrong.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

3. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you. it helps indeed but it also kills my project. I don't wanna take off the door panel so I cannot access the door module.

maybe I could really wire them in parallel with the footwell illumination, but then the sills would be on even with doors closed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    thank you. it helps indeed but it also kills my project. I don't wanna take off the door panel so I cannot access the door module..
    You retrofitted heated seats and a Webasto aux heater, but don't want to take off the door panels...?
    Silence gives consent.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps hes wary of potential rattles that may result.

8. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    With golf 7 the ambient lights are controlled from bcm not door control module.

You can tab to ambient light wires from the car frame side to the connector that goes to the door.

Do you want the sill lights on all the time or just when you open the doors? If the latter maybe easiest to tab to the roof light unit.

10. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siLc View Post
    Perhaps he’s wary of potential rattles that may result.
    That would be a valid concern, but with proper care in reassembly (having replacement clips on hand for the inevitable breakage, having felt tape to replace factory NVH measures, etc) that can certainly be mitigated.
    Silence gives consent.

12. Likes downtime, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    You retrofitted heated seats and a Webasto aux heater, but don't want to take off the door panels...?
    my list of retrofits is even longer but yes, I do not want to take off door panels because of potential rattles.

when a door panel is taken off, it just never goes back like put from the factory. I've been there before with 3 previous cars.

don't get me wrong, taking the door panel is very tempting. I could then replace the woofers, retrofit the light that illuminates the ground under the door, and wire up the sill.
    because I just checked again the WDs and indeed W67/W68 are wired to the door controller. so the sill is not considered ambient light and is not under BCM control.
    the two wires go back to the sill via the door connector, and this also creates the need to find the correct extra pins for the connector.

I don't wanna take the door panel, and now I am debated.

I could wire the sill in parallel to footwell light and live with the sill on with the door closed.
    OR
    I could do as above and add a reed switch somewhere for the door to switch off the sill when the door is closed.
    OR
    I should give up illuminated sills... but I have ordered them already :P

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    my list of retrofits is even longer
    too many retrofits and may be cheaper (not to mention easier) to buy another with the features you want already installed

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    too many retrofits and may be cheaper (not to mention easier) to buy another with the features you want already installed
    and where would be the challenge/fun in that? plus, almost everything I did has indeed been cheaper than if ordered when buying the car. which I had bought used so I had to add stuff myself.

16. Likes D-Dub, Uwe liked this post