Golf 7 infotainment display upgrade

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I hope this is not the case where the same part number (head unit) turns out to be different by year of release. the fact that nothing shows on the screen does not look promising. it might indeed be the video output that is not capable.

I was also thinking, since VCDS does not detect the new display, if maybe the wiring in the 12pin connector could be different from mine. I don't have WD for MY2018, will eventually need to buy one hour from erwin.

I am waiting for info from a couple retrofitters.

I said I could consider replacing the head unit, but then I remembered... CP would kick in and I might lose App Connect, right?

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
it wouldn't be first time that parts have same part number but different manufacturers meaning a different part altogether... so first check that
yes if you change cp will kick in, if you remove cp codes can be retrieved?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
And to make things even worse, you probably would not get carplay back as it’s SWaP and as the hw is different than originally in your car, factory connection might refuse the codes re-installation.

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
Better get "unlocked" unit with all futures enable .
many times when you swap old to new in VW dealer, they have to send speciall request to enable extra futures what was not enable when you bought a car, even if car/VIN supporting this and unit too.
L

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I decided not to pursue. I am usually stubborn in these things, I like retrofits because they can prove we are "smarter" than the manufacturer; that no matter how hard, at the end of the game we make it happen.

Since the money I dedicated to retrofits has definitely exceeded the budget so far (isn't that always the case...), I am gonna ship this display back.

However, since I broke several clips when removing the dash trim, I cannot just put that back.

So I ordered the 8-inches display, but non-facelift version :D of course together with its trim. I know that one is gonna work.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
the seller has not been cooperative so far, he told me he also has to check compatibility and will let me know...

anyway, didn't I say I was stubborn lol? today I tried connecting the screen again, because I wanted to play a little with experimental coding in the head unit.
well, guess what? I think the screen is faulty, the backlight at least.

I shot a short video which I believe will be better than any explanation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0gttjo20uzbdhb/GolfScreen.mov

what is your opinion fellas? it's broken, isn't it?

m87a

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156900
yes it work but there is no illumination, that display is broken, you can use flashlight and shine from certain angle and you will see image clearly ;)

Dick.T

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=350787
No isn't faulty, your main unit is not compatible to the "bigger" screen. Replace your main unit (yes CP has to be adapted, need dealer or friendly) and this screen will work. Tried the same with my Discover Media (I know you have only Composition media) and there it showed 4 equal images. After swapping main unit all was OK.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
your Golf is 2013, at that time the facelift display didn't even exist, and you had MIB1 generation.

they started installing facelift displays just one month after building my car, and ETKA says the part numbers match.

I am not seeing four equal images, it's not a resolution problem, just the backlight is broken.

I am struggling to find another display facelift to try...

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
the screen was broken 100% and was sent back to the seller, I got a refund.

now the hunt begins for another one, they are very rare without the APP button.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I was able to source and buy a new display panel, which came even cheaper than the one I had to send back.

the retrofit is complete, 100% working.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
today I also cleared out the SVM error, so all good. oh, and hooray to that famous chinese shopping portal. I got the new dash trim for like 40 EUR shipped. OEM part would include air vents (no need to replace) at over 200 EUR, which is just crazy for a stupid piece of plastic.

Back