VCDS 16 PIN data lead

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
I was thinking recently (Dangerous I know) about the length of the data lead that came with the VCDS kit I bought. When using a laptop you can get the laptop into and up close to the diagnostic 16 PIN data connector in vehicles, but my current PC is now not a laptop but a mobile diagnostic station which I can move around the workshop. The problem I am now facing with some vehicles is that the length of the lead will not reach into the vehicles when connected into the PC.

My question therefore becomes, can I buy a longer lead?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You could use an active USB 2.0 extension.

We have them in our store here, but you should be able to source one locally for less than what we would charge, especially if you factor in shipping across the pond.

Or you could upgrade to a HEX-NET and go wireless. :)

-Uwe-

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
Thanks Uwe, fleebay is full of them now you point the lead out to me. My concern then becomes the quality of the wire from fleebay suppliers!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thanks Uwe, fleebay is full of them now you point the lead out to me. My concern then becomes the quality of the wire from fleebay suppliers!
Yeah, but I imagine they don't cost that much, so find one that works and buy a spare?

Personally, I would rather buy something like that from Amazon than from fleaBay.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
PS: I just looked at Amazon and see they have some as long as 10 meters. Nothing over 5 meters is allowed by the USB specifications, so I would recommend 5 meters or less.

-Uwe-

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
Thanks Uwe I bought one from fleabee before your post in reply, however, yes it is 5 m in length cost £13.49 delivered. If the quality not that good when tested I might upgrade to wireless :)

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
Thanks Uwe I bought one from fleabee before your post in reply, however, yes it is 5 m in length cost £13.49 delivered. If the quality not that good when tested I might upgrade to wireless :)

Guess what, fleabay did not delivery and had to refund me. I bought another from another supplier which arrived today. Now I do feel silly, I opened the blue box that VCDS came in, I also got the VW LT lead included, and to my amazement there is a sealed packet in there that has a USB 2.0 lead in, 3 metres long. Guess I should have taken more notice of what I originally bought!

Back