Thread: VCDS 16 PIN data lead

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

VCDS 16 PIN data lead

I was thinking recently (Dangerous I know) about the length of the data lead that came with the VCDS kit I bought. When using a laptop you can get the laptop into and up close to the diagnostic 16 PIN data connector in vehicles, but my current PC is now not a laptop but a mobile diagnostic station which I can move around the workshop. The problem I am now facing with some vehicles is that the length of the lead will not reach into the vehicles when connected into the PC.

My question therefore becomes, can I buy a longer lead?
    Every job is important, even the lowliest, and peoples lives very much depend on us all, so with this in mind, let no man delude himself that his work is more important than that of his colleagues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You could use an active USB 2.0 extension.

We have them in our store here, but you should be able to source one locally for less than what we would charge, especially if you factor in shipping across the pond.

Or you could upgrade to a HEX-NET and go wireless.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes Trade Member liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Uwe, fleebay is full of them now you point the lead out to me. My concern then becomes the quality of the wire from fleebay suppliers!
    Every job is important, even the lowliest, and peoples lives very much depend on us all, so with this in mind, let no man delude himself that his work is more important than that of his colleagues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade Member View Post
    Thanks Uwe, fleebay is full of them now you point the lead out to me. My concern then becomes the quality of the wire from fleebay suppliers!
    Yeah, but I imagine they don't cost that much, so find one that works and buy a spare?

Personally, I would rather buy something like that from Amazon than from fleaBay.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    PS: I just looked at Amazon and see they have some as long as 10 meters. Nothing over 5 meters is allowed by the USB specifications, so I would recommend 5 meters or less.

-Uwe-

7. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Uwe I bought one from fleabee before your post in reply, however, yes it is 5 m in length cost 13.49 delivered. If the quality not that good when tested I might upgrade to wireless

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade Member View Post
    Thanks Uwe I bought one from fleabee before your post in reply, however, yes it is 5 m in length cost 13.49 delivered. If the quality not that good when tested I might upgrade to wireless
    Guess what, fleabay did not delivery and had to refund me. I bought another from another supplier which arrived today. Now I do feel silly, I opened the blue box that VCDS came in, I also got the VW LT lead included, and to my amazement there is a sealed packet in there that has a USB 2.0 lead in, 3 metres long. Guess I should have taken more notice of what I originally bought!

10. Likes Dana liked this post