Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retrofitting TTRS Steering Wheel , Virtual Cockpit, and MIB 2 in 8V S3 PFL

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, what i meant was does Your S3 SWCM support dedicated button for Drive Select and Start/Stop.

Programming * buttons do do whatever function is most likely stored in BCM/CAN/CLUSTER or MIB. A 2018 TT Coupe also has * button and can be programmed. But this is universal button and it just sends out canbus signal that this button was pressed. Defining function for button is stored somewhere else.

I would suggest trying out the coding.

Best,
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/äkoda
    The world is my oyster...

Verified VCDS User Sweaty Sweater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My current SWCM does not. I have 7 pins in total. 2 for the airbag, 30, 31, and Lin for the SW, 1 pin for the horn, and 1 unused pin that has constant 15 power.

I was interested if some how I could trigger the * button, by pressing the Drive Select button. Wiring them together somehow.

I do know that I am going to have to run another wire in my clockspring, or have some sort of module that can interpret the signal in the wheel and send it through.

I will adjust my coding to to A258 though and see if we have any changes.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting on the my cluster and MIB2 to arrive, so I am getting all of the wiring and additional parts sorted out.

I have created a chart for the wiring changes needed to go to the virtual cluster, and a full parts list that is needed.

4. Likes Uwe, m87a, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Updates on the project:

MIB2, Virtual Cluster, CarPlay kit, and all associated wiring has arrived.

The MIB2 was simply plug and play. It was properly coded and prepared for my vehicle, with USA Maps installed, thanks to APG in Poland. This has been one of the most amazing companies I've ever worked with. They have an incredible amount of knowledge, email back within 24 hours or less, and provided updates every step of the process.

The next thing was to install the cluster. There was quite a bit of dash material to remove. You can cut the mounting tabs off the dash where the old cluster mounts if you wish, to make more room. The new cluster bezel will attach directly to the new cluster. The metal bracket that was ordered is attached to the bottom of the new cluster, and the second part is mounted to the dash behind it. It then has 2 screws that go in it backwards, with little rubber caps. This is what the cluster leans up against, while being attached to the top of the steering column.

Here is a photo before any cutting was performed

And here is after the cutting was completed.

This is the metal mounting bracket that goes behind the cluster.

With all of this, I ran the Optic cable and the Infotainment cable from the MIB2 in the glove box, to the back of the cluster. I then connected the adapter to take the instrument cluster harness from an 18 pin to 32 pin, as pictured in previous posts.

The cluster fired up in SAFE mode obviously. You have to use ODIS to remove Component Protection and adapt the vehicle keys.

Everything was then in German and KM.

After going in with VCDS, the mileage has to be set and the Variant Selection has to be set all before the cluster reaches 100km. Once you past that point, the cluster can not be changed. So all of you that want the 1 center dial like on the S3, RS3, S4, etc, it has to be done when the cluster is new.

I coded it to MPH, 12 hour clock, S3 displays, no seat belt warning, etc. I also was able to set it to function with the indirect TPMS. I was worried about this as I believe most of the newer cars with the VC have direct TPMS. All of the basic settings have to be set for the ABS module again after install as well, otherwise the traction control, ABS, Parking Brake, and TPMS lights will remain on.

6. Likes D-Dub, Uwe, downtime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing to note, is the upper steering column trim is also different between the clusters. You have to cut the two apart and combine the back part of the new one, with the front part of the old one. The new trim, that attaches behind the steering wheel, is curved where it meets the back of the steering wheel. I just reused the old part for this.

8. Likes D-Dub, Uwe, downtime liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say it's quite impressive retrofit. The digital speedo looks absolutely amazing!

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    I have to say it's quite impressive retrofit. The digital speedo looks absolutely amazing!
    Thanks man!

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Also surprised that it all worked 100%.

12. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a retrofit very nice! I have also retrofit a lot of this, but never get the dials in middle working. The "variant selection 1" needs to be set to active right when the cluster is new?

Post Thanks / Like
    To get the 1 center dial like the S3, S4, etc, yes it has to be set when the cluster has less than 100km on it.

Also, if you set the mileage to your cluster to what the vehicle has on it first, then you also canít change the dials. Even if you havenít driven anywhere yet.

15. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so first you have to set the dials and then mileage etc?