Dash Cam - a bit of a long shot

Dai_O

Reaction score
So guys not expecting the earth, but maybe somebody might wanna help
Its not really too much to do with VCDs more to do with the OBD port on my car

So I drive a UK 2007 Seat Altea Petrol, I bought a dash cam that connects up to the OBD port, The camera works and records just fine, but it doesnt get anything from the OBD port apart from power, no car data is received, it doesnt seem to sync
The camera is a Blacksys CL100B, I bought it thinking it would be okay for all cars but it comes with a list of cars it is good for, guess what my 2007 Seat Altea isn't on the list

So I was wondering if maybe another cars OBD code might work, I have tried the VW Golf Mk6 and also the Passat, Jetta, none work

Was trying to get my head around how does each car differ, do you need a different set off 'login / data parameters" to connect to the OBD port to say the Golf, Passat or Jetta

The codes Blacksys use look like 005-000-190 for the Golf versus 005-000-161 for the Passat and 005-000-162 for Jetta
I was wondering if this meant anything re the login credentials for say any device via OBD or if maybe this is code just unique to the Blacksys kit

There are no other cars listed in the VW, Seat, Audi section :(

blacksys.co.kr/eng/support/download_read.php?id=202&no=0&field=title&search_word=obd is the link to the list of cars if anyone is interested lol

I have tried emailing Blacksys but got nothing back

Here's hoping thanks for reading this far

All the best

Dave
Cardiff UK

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Generic OBD-II is well standardized, although there are four different protocols that have been permitted over the years, but VAG only used two of them. There are no "logins" for reading generic OBD-II data.

005-000-190, 005-000-161, and 005-000-162 don't mean anything to me. I suppose they could be PID numbers? But that doesn't make much sense because 000 would be a list of supported PIDs in the between 001 and 031...

-Uwe-

Dai_O

Reaction score
Wow cheers UWE, to be honest I wasn't holding out too much hope of any sort of reply but it really seems like you know your beans and OBD stuff too !!!!!

Just wondering how clever you are LOL

You mentioned that there are generally 4 different protocols, but VAG only used 2 off them, think i got that bit right

Just wondering if you knew what protocol the 2007 Seat Altea (5P) I drive uses, and is it the same protocol as any of the following
POLO - 2013
JETTA - 2012
PASSAT - 2005
GOLF 6 - 2012
CARAVELL - 2012

Cheers again mate and owe you a beer

Dave

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I'm pretty sure the Altea was based on the Golf Mk5 platform.

If so, if memory serves they use CAN when connecting the VAG way, but EOBD/OBD-II (standardised engine management) diagnostics are on KWP2000.

A 2005 Passat might do the same, but I'd imagine all the others are new enough to use CAN for EOBD/OBD-II too.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You mentioned that there are generally 4 different protocols, but VAG only used 2 off them, think i got that bit right

Just wondering if you knew what protocol the 2007 Seat Altea (5P) I drive uses, and is it the same protocol as any of the following
POLO - 2013
JETTA - 2012
PASSAT - 2005
GOLF 6 - 2012
CARAVELL - 2012
No, I can't say for sure. It may very well depend on which engine the car has. Some of the early Mk.5-based cars used CAN for all the proprietary diagnostics while keeping a K-line to the ECU (and TCU, if equipped) for OBD-II on the K-Line.

If you have (or know someone who has) VCDS, try the generic [OBD-II] button. VCDS will tell you exactly which protocol is being used for OBD-II.

A 2005 Passat would still be on K-line; the latter 2010 and newer cars would most likely be CAN.

-Uwe-

Back