Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCDS support for 2018 Q3

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

VCDS support for 2018 Q3

My wife has a new 2018 Q3 Sline. She previously had an A6. Apparently the new Audis now use a different seat heater mechanism. After about 10 minutes the seat heaters automatically change from level 3 to level 2. Additionally the heaters aren't very warm even on level 3. My wife has a back condition and the seat heaters are a great help for her.

Does VCDS provide the ability to disable the automatic heat reduction on a 2018 Q3?
    Does VCDS provide the ability to increase the heat output of the seat heaters?

I will buy whatever kit is necessary, so if someone can answer these questions and (hopefully) point me in the correct direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

My other alternative is to trade a 200 mile car for one with properly functioning seat heaters. Yep. It's that serious.

Someone please save me a lot of money! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What happens if she turns it off and back on again?

There's been a lot of grumbling about low output on seat heaters in various VW/Audi cars of late.

As for knowing what can and can't be done with VCDS, that's kind of a Catch-22. Without seeing exactly what control modules are installed in the car (and they change a lot!) it's really difficult to know.

If you're willing to post your location, perhaps there's someone nearby who already has VCDS that could get a scan from your car...?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the columbia/baltimore MD area and would be happy to get a scan and post it. From googling this does seem to be a common complaint. Wish I would have known before we bought.
    Thanks for the reply. Perhaps you know of some independent shop that uses VCDS in the area??? I'd be willing to pay a nominal fee to see if this is possible. It really is important for my wifes comfort.

Thanks again

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to try-before-you-buy, by renting a cable for a week from an ebay-er for only $30. That got me comfortable with how VCDS works and what it can do. Then I finally bought my own from RT last week. Maybe a short term rental would work for you?
    2002 S8
    2011 Q5

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB View Post
    Maybe a short term rental would work for you?
    Only if he finds someone renting a V2 or HEX-NET. The older HEX+CAN will be missing a lot.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm leaning toward just buying the VIN limited version for 199 and sending a scan. I have an additional question. If the scan indicates that it is possible, would that require a software update? Or is this something where I can flip a few bits using long coding? I've seen this can be done with the Q5 using something called an Adaption in the HVAC and/or Central Electrics sections. (Sorry if my terminology is wrong - I'm still learning)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmart View Post
    I'm leaning toward just buying the VIN limited version for 199 and sending a scan. I have an additional question. If the scan indicates that it is possible, would that require a software update? Or is this something where I can flip a few bits using long coding? I've seen this can be done with the Q5 using something called an Adaption in the HVAC and/or Central Electrics sections. (Sorry if my terminology is wrong - I'm still learning)
    If it can be done, it would likely be changing one or more values in Adaptation, or tweaking some coding bits.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ill have a look in my Tiguan. Not going to be a 100% match with a Q3, but technically its very similar.
    Current:
    2018 Tiguan AD Highline 2.0 BiTDI 240hp > Stage 1+ 328hp
    2016 Polo 6C Highline 1.0 TSI 105hp

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. I look forward to hearing the results.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought - if it's THAT serious, then have you tried contacting the dealership/tech center? This brand new car must be under warranty (1) and yet dealership is the one who knows their brand cars the best (2).
    Besides, I think such a query will not cost you anything.