Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s everyone using for vcds

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

What’s everyone using for vcds

I have a acer laptop at the moment and it’s fine just rubbish battery so have to have a lead running to the car to plug it in , thinking maybe get a refurb netbook just for vcds get s good few hours batteries life

Cheers Matt

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using this cheapo windows tablet/laptop @ https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...ca-cambio-10-1

it is slow as heck, and not sure if I would want to use it on a daily basis for professional work, but it works well enough for the shade tree mechanic in me, and the battery lasts sufficiently through an all afternoon+ workload.

If I were to need something more professional, I would look for slightly older used mac laptops with full size usb ports, and run windows on them fulltime for vcds.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think I will do the same get something cheap and small with good battery even if I get a new battery for my acer not sure it will last long still . So think a netbook . Not sure I would want to use my MacBook Pro out in the car tbh

Cheers Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    macbook pro + bootcamp

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah good idea but not really wanting to use my MacBook Pro out on the car thinking maybe a little netbook or smiting they doesn’t matter if dropped

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iichel View Post
    macbook pro + bootcamp
    11" Macbook Air + Bootcamp.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes iichel liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    whenever @Uwe gets around to making a full fledged IOS app replacement for windows vcds, then an ipad (mini/regular/pro) would be a nice device for vcds.

and hex-net web doesn't count.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    whenever @Uwe gets around to making a full fledged IOS app replacement for windows vcds,

The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

10. Likes iichel, Mike@Gendan liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no doubt, if you created a native ios app, and an IOS compatible obd interface (either bluetooth or lightning or even wifi based like hex-net+windows vcds), it would outsell your legacy products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    I have no doubt, if you created a native ios app, and an IOS compatible obd interface (either bluetooth or lightning or even wifi based like hex-net+windows vcds), it would outsell your legacy products.
    You realize iOS only has something on the order of a 20% market share, right?

-Uwe-