Brake issue

tomjv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=225496
Hello all, I'm new to Ross Tech, but not new to VWs. This is like my 5th one.

My question is: WHAT'S THE PROPER WAY TO USE ROSS TECH TO BLEED THE ABS, (EXACTLY!).

History: Last month I bought this 2003 Golf VR6 with 84K on the clock. The brakes were "weak" when I bought it. The pedal was firm, and consistent but the car didn't stop well. I thought it was cheesy pads(...seen it before).

When I got it home, first thing I did was change the pads and bed them. It didn't have any effect. I also noted the inboard side of both front rotors were a rusted mess so I changed them too(before the bedding).
Long story short, I've rebuilt the front calipers, installed SS Brake lines, Tyrolsport Metal bushings, new rotors, new pads and bled the system(several times). No soap.
I have vacuum and the master seems to hold pressure('til today). It's my best guess that either the fronts are really weak(pressure wise) or one circuit is out. Both backs look "textbook". Also, the car sort-of fishtails when you get on the brakes.

Today, thinking I had air in the ABS, I tried to use Ross Tech to bleed the ABS followed by a system bleed. In the end it's worse than ever. The pedal is mush and the car doesn't stop. It's basically undrivable now.
I guess I did it wrong somehow. I followed the directions, but they're pretty cryptic.
For instance:
When it says hold the pedal, then the system kicks in and the pedal drops . . . what do I do? (I was carful NEVER to drive the pedal to the floor).
When it says pump the pedal 10x, is that with two people opening and closing the valves? I had it set up with catch bottles and tubes into an inch of product. How fast and hard do I pump the pedal?
I kept getting mega air from the passenger side front(like LOTS of air). Why is that? After a while, it seemed to stop, but I guess not because it's a mess now.
That's all for now, THANKS!
TomJV

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Please post an auto-scan........

Did you perform this by yourself or with assistance?
Were brakes bleed while ignition off or on car running?

Have you attempted a gravity bleed?

VCDS/factory tester is used as an assistant to pulsing the ABS pump to remove air from the pump, and to verify zones in conjunction to checking wheel lock and rotation.

tomjv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=225496
>Please post an auto-scan........
Performed a scan after I did the VAG bleed. No faults found.

>Did you perform this by yourself or with assistance?
Alone.

>Were brakes bleed while ignition off or on car running?
VAG=ON; Motive(after VAG)=OFF

>Have you attempted a gravity bleed?
No.

>VCDS/factory tester is used as an assistant to pulsing the ABS pump to remove air from the pump, and to verify zones in conjunction to checking wheel lock and rotation.
I know this. What I don't know is; how to use it properly.

TomJV

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
RTFB!

You didn't post it here or the other forum..........
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...eed-abs-pump&p=86590480&posted=1#post86590480

www.erwin.vw.com

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/absbleeding.html

This procedure details how to bleed the ABS pump when replacing brake fluid. This procedure is NOT necessary unless your ABS pump has gone completely dry. For normal brake work including fluid replacement, hose replacement, pad replacement, etc. this procedure is NOT necessary. Also, this procedure does not take the place of good ol' fashioned brake bleeding with one person operating the pedal while the other person opens the bleeder valves one by one and collects the discharged fluid.

Here is how...............to post that scan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCBt6d42-Fc

Based on your posts/answers you are not qualified to be doing your repair and it is advised you seek a professional to preform the procedures..........Correctly!

I think you should consider the GRAVITY of the situation.

Helpful inks ........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_brake

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If this is the procedure I'm thinking it is, it really requires the car to be up on a lift, with one person in the car using VCDS and actuating the brake pedal while a second person is under the car opening and closing the bleed screws, etc.

-Uwe-

tomjv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=225496
If this is the procedure I'm thinking it is, it really requires the car to be up on a lift, with one person in the car using VCDS and actuating the brake pedal while a second person is under the car opening and closing the bleed screws, etc.

-Uwe-
Hey Uwe,
I have the car on stands(all 4 wheels off). THAT'S what I'm trying to find out. Can this be done solo?

I understand the other comment. There's a "right way" to do things. I'll post my scan today.
TomJV

tomjv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=225496
VCDS Version: Release 12.12.3
Data version: 20140822

Sunday,02,November,2014,10:57:36:08126

Code:
Chassis Type: 1J (1J - VW Golf/Bora IV (1998 > 2006))
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 19 22 29 35 36 37 39 46 47 55 56 57 75

VIN: 9BWDH61J134074051   Mileage: 135540km/84220miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: 022-906-032-BDF.lbl
   Part No: 022 906 032 CS
   Component: United 24V      G   04wc  
   Coding: 00032
   Shop #: WSC 00001  
   VCID: 5EBD9140DA282BEEC91-5178
   9BWDH61J134074051     VWZ7Z0C7128452

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ESP-F.lbl
   Part No: 1C0 907 379 M
   Component: ESP FRONT MK60      0102  
   Coding: 0019970
   Shop #: WSC 00001 785 00200
   VCID: 346913E85424D1BE4F5-5178

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags        Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.lbl
   Part No: 1C0 909 605 F
   Component: 08 AIRBAG VW61 0202 0003  
   Coding: 12344
   VCID: 2753F4A4C5F2AA26FA7-513C

No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 1J0-920-xx5-17.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 920 926 F
   Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V07  
   Coding: 07234
   Shop #: WSC 02982  
   VCID: 2D5F068CE70E807600B-513C
   9BWDH61J134074051     VWZ7Z0C7128452

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway        Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
   Part No: 6N0 909 901 
   Component: Gateway K<->CAN    0001  
   Coding: 00006
   Shop #: WSC 00000  
   VCID: F0E15FF8B0BC2D9EEBD-515A

No fault code found.

Address 46: Central Conv.        Labels: 1C0-959-799.lbl
   Part No: 1C0 959 799 C
   Component: 8B Komfortgerát HLO 0003  
   Coding: 00064
   Shop #: WSC 00000  
   VCID: 377324E415523AA66A7-4B18

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1C1959801A
   Component: 8B Tõrsteuer.FS KLO 0009  

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1C1959802A
   Component: 8B Tõrsteuer.BF KLO 0009  

No fault code found.

Address 56: Radio        Labels: 3B7-035-1xx-56.lbl
   Part No: 3B7 035 180 E
   Component:    Radio ZSW        0010  
   Coding: 00031
   Shop #: WSC 09016  
   VCID: 2245E5B0AED04F0EAD9-513C

No fault code found.

End   ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can this be done solo?
I doubt it. It's also beyond the scope of this forum to explain such primarily mechanical/hydraulic procedures in detail. That's what a repair manual is for.

-Uwe-

tomjv

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=225496
Oh, sorry. I'll cease.
TomJV

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Search you tube..........

How to gravity bleed brakes!

Hey Uwe,
I have the car on stands(all 4 wheels off). THAT'S what I'm trying to find out. Can this be done solo?

YUP!

Your car is modified with deleted monitors and DTC tables.........cough! AKA signed death warrant.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDF.lbl
Part No: 022 906 032 CS
Component: United 24V G 04wc
Coding: 00032
VCID: 5EBD9140DA282BEEC91-5178
9BWDH61J134074051 VWZ7Z0C7128452

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0000 0000

On airplanes we take mighty vac and pump fluid from caliper to master reservoir.

Vacula makes great suck down air bleeders which are passive at the bleeder with no second person.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350717213038?lpid=82

NOTE:

Based on training I have received from VW-Audi-Bosch directly on these systems.
The OBD pump air/release prime 0x03-03 [ output diagnostic test mode ] is used after conventional bleeding is performed.

It is not a replacement for it!

It is to be used as a final check and balance of the system to release each wheel......... one at a time!
While second tech spins the wheel to check lock and release of the wheel in conjunction being called out with the tech holding brake pedal and commencing the lock or release of the OBD test plan.

Additionally special attention is to be paid to the noise of the noids........... releasing air as an indication in each wheel and which wheel may need additional bleeding based on that audible noise and pedal travel for that zone referenced.

After this is done and hydraulic PSI established....... it is also recommended to take car out for road test to seat and heat up system.

Then come back and check again with OBD and for possible latent air.

Last edited:

AleZava

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=302895
Hi everybody from italy. I'm a satisfied VCDS owner, I'm not a professionist, I'm a mechanical and engine lover. I was reading all this forum looking for informations about VCDS bleed procedure, the legendary procedure, I found this thread, interesting. Old, but interesting.
Must say that people should write if the problem is fixed at the end, not only wait for answers and then disappear. So we can't know if solutions were right.
Anyway, I spent my last 2 years talking to VW official technicians, seeing officials VW instructions (in VW garages, not Bentley or others instructions), then reading thousands of web pages about people bleeding VW with VCDS in various absolutely wrong ways.

Now I talk about VW cars equipped with MK60 ABS unit, only ABS no ESP.
Must say that VW instructions ask to use a pressure bleeder at least 2 bar / 29 PSI, no other way to bleed. So procedures like the old "press and release pedal with 2 people" or like "vacuum bleed" (which works only at absolute atmospherical pressure) or home made/cheap "pressure bleed" which works at a too low pressure become completely inappropriate.
I'm surprised that VW instructions do not say anything about OBD bleed procedure and all VW technicians confirm that they never had to bleed any new/drained MK60 ABS unit in their career. The only way to bleed them is to pressure bleed, pressure must not be less than 2 bar / 29 PSI to get air out of ABS unit.
They say that OBD bleed procedure is requested only for MK60/EC1 ESP (and late versions) equipped cars due to very narrow conduits of the ESP unit.
I can confirm that I was able to bleed a drained ABS unit without VCDS, just using a 2,5 bar bleeder. I test drove the car and it braked correctly, then I tried also a VCDS bleed and the brakes were exactly the same. No differences.

Now I talk about our VCDS.
It has 2 advanced ABS-Brakes functions that are normally used:
03 - Output test
04 - Basic settings
What I report reading web pages is that people uses "03 - Output test" to bleed brakes! Crazy! Fool! This function is just to verify functionality of ABS valves, to check if brake is applied or not for every single wheel with brake pedal pressed or not. It's a long procedure and requests 2 people, one on board to press or release pedal, other off the car (which is lifted) to manually check if wheels are free or braked, just following detailed instructions on VCDS screen. No bleeder screw has to be opened during this test!
I read about people who says that were able to get air out of the ABS unit using the "Output test" and they believe to have done a good job. Ok, let's them be happy.

The only bleed procedure can be found in "04 - basic settings", selecting "group 1". It has four steps which are repeated in loop until user decides to stop. There is any massage to confirm that procedure is ended.

1) Starting procedure makes appear message "Press brake pedal and hold". You press pedal like a normal stop and istantly it drops near to the floor because ABS valves are opened and fluid goes into expansion chambers. Please keep pressing pedal like a normal stop, dont' let it. After few seconds we can hear ABS pump activated for a few seconds, fluid is pumped from ABS unit to the master cilynder, so pedal is pushed back with force, you can feel your foot pushed back. Please don't be scared, keep pressing pedal like a normal stop while it's moved back and it's very important you let pedal come back, don't try to keep it down to the floor, it must come back to the normal brake position.

2) Second step appears automatically. "Release brake pedal and open FL/FR bleed screws". Easy. Let the pedal, get off from the vehicle and open both front bleed screws. it's clear that there is no reason to open bleed screws if brake system is not under pressure.
This operation must obviously be done while a pressure bleeder is connected.

3) Third step appears only after confirm previous step. "Wait 10 seconds", ABS pump is automatically activated for 10 seconds. Brake fluid is moved from ABS unit to the master cylinder. (Must say that some people on the web believe that this pump activation is to pump fluid out of calipers, this is not true, fluid is pushed out by pressure bleeder, while ABS pump moves fluid from ABS unit to master cylinder).

4) Fourth step appears automatically. "Press brake pedal 10 times then close bleed screws". Another clue that this operation must be done with a pressure bleeder. In other cases, air will be sucked back every time the pedal is released. 10 pedal pressions just help old fluid (which is already pressurized) to be pushed out of the calipers in less time. They are not counted from VCDS in anyway, they are not counted from ABS unit, 10 pressions are a theorical number of pressions to help fluid to be pushed out. I believe that they are not really necessary, we can let the pressure bleeder does its work until new fluid comes out whitout touching brake pedal.

Now if we press "continue" button, VCDS goes back to the first step and repeats the 4 steps in loop. So there is no message which confirms that procedure is complete. We have to decide when to stop it. When we are sure that only new brake fluid is coming out with no air we can stop at the step 4, we close bleed screws and select "Done, go back" then "Close controller, go back" buttons on VCDS, ABS unit status will return normal and we can disconnect VCDS and pressure bleeder.

Some final considerations:

Why VW technicians use only pressure bleeder to bleed ABS units while an ABS unit bleed procedure is possible?
Many people goes crazy using wrong ways to bleed, they keep to get a spongy brake pedal, then they buy VCDS to perform ABS unit bleed but in many cases they don't fix the problem. That's because of the bleeding method, not of the VCDS.
I can suggest:
- Forgot old bleeding method "press and release pedal with 2 people". If there's any air bubble in the ABS unit, it will come back up into unit every time you release pedal, also if bleeder screw is closed. Fluid movement must be costant to take air out.
- Forgot vacuum bleeders, they are not serious, not only for low pressure but also because some air is ever sucked from bleed screws (Venturi effect), we cant' be sure if fluid is really coming out without air and an old bleeding method (press and release with 2 people) is anyway needed at the end.
- Cheap pressure bleeders make too low pressure, about 10/15 PSI, too far from 29 PSI requested from VW. So maybe that they are not able to push air bubbles out of ABS unit. In this case (and only in this case) I must believe that VCDS bleed function can help, especiallly in the step when it asks to press pedal 10 times. Maybe that this will help old fluid and air bubbles to get out of the ABS unit. I suggest to press and release the pedal very very slow to let time to cheap pressure bleeder to mantain pressure. If pedal is released too fast may be that air is sucked back into calipers.
- Pressure bleeders at least 2 bar / 29 PSI are professional and very expensive and normally are designed to contain several liters of brake fluid. I have mine, I'm lucky to have found a used one. Consider what is cheap for you. Take your car to a VW garage to do a good brakes job for next 2 years or spend a lot of time and money to do bad job on youself and get a dangerous car?

I'm happy to discuss about with anyone.

Regards and happy new year.

Last edited:

vodonnell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=5525
I have a 09 audi a6 with abs and eps used the pressure method as described in the vw literature to change break fluid no problems and straight forward would recommend it, are your calibers in good condition, no rust on the pistons to impede their operation, basics need to be right first.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Hi everybody from italy. I'm a satisfied VCDS owner, I'm not a professionist, I'm a mechanical and engine lover. I was reading all this forum looking for informations about VCDS bleed procedure, the legendary procedure, I found this thread, interesting. Old, but interesting.
Must say that people should write if the problem is fixed at the end, not only wait for answers and then disappear. So we can't know if solutions were right.
Anyway, I spent my last 2 years talking to VW official technicians, seeing officials VW instructions (in VW garages, not Bentley or others instructions), then reading thousands of web pages about people bleeding VW with VCDS in various absolutely wrong ways.

Must say that VW instructions ask to use a pressure bleeder at least 2 bar / 29 PSI, no other way to bleed. So procedures like the old "press and release pedal with 2 people" or like "vacuum bleed" (which works only at absolute atmospherical pressure) or home made/cheap "pressure bleed" which works at a too low pressure become completely inappropriate.
I'm surprised that VW instructions do not say anything about OBD bleed procedure and all VW technicians confirm that they never had to bleed any new/drained MK60 ABS unit in their career. The only way to bleed them is to pressure bleed, pressure must not be less than 2 bar / 29 PSI to get air out of ABS unit.
They say that OBD bleed procedure is requested only for MK60/EC1 ESP (and late versions) equipped cars due to very narrow conduits of the ESP unit.
I can confirm that I was able to bleed a drained ABS unit without VCDS, just using a 2,5 bar bleeder. I test drove the car and it braked correctly, then I tried also a VCDS bleed and the brakes were exactly the same. No differences.

03 - Output test
04 - Basic settings
What I report reading web pages is that people uses "03 - Output test" to bleed brakes! Crazy! Fool! This function is just to verify functionality of ABS valves, to check if brake is applied or not for every single wheel with brake pedal pressed or not. It's a long procedure and requests 2 people, one on board to press or release pedal, other off the car (which is lifted) to manually check if wheels are free or braked, just following detailed instructions on VCDS screen. No bleeder screw has to be opened during this test!
I read about people who says that were able to get air out of the ABS unit using the "Output test" and they believe to have done a good job. Ok, let's them be happy.

The only bleed procedure can be found in "04 - basic settings", selecting "group 1". It has four steps which are repeated in loop until user decides to stop. There is any massage to confirm that procedure is ended.

1) Starting procedure makes appear message "Press brake pedal and hold". You press pedal like a normal stop and istantly it drops near to the floor because ABS valves are opened and fluid goes into expansion chambers. Please keep pressing pedal like a normal stop, dont' let it. After few seconds we can hear ABS pump activated for a few seconds, fluid is pumped from ABS unit to the master cilynder, so pedal is pushed back with force, you can feel your foot pushed back. Please don't be scared, keep pressing pedal like a normal stop while it's moved back and it's very important you let pedal come back, don't try to keep it down to the floor, it must come back to the normal brake position.

2) Second step appears automatically. "Release brake pedal and open FL/FR bleed screws". Easy. Let the pedal, get off from the vehicle and open both front bleed screws. it's clear that there is no reason to open bleed screws if brake system is not under pressure.

3) Third step appears only after confirm previous step. "Wait 10 seconds", ABS pump is automatically activated for 10 seconds. Brake fluid is moved from ABS unit to the master cylinder. (Must say that some people on the web believe that this pump activation is to pump fluid out of calipers, this is not true, fluid is pushed out by pressure bleeder, while ABS pump moves fluid from ABS unit to master cylinder).

4) Fourth step appears automatically. "Press brake pedal 10 times then close bleed screws". Another clue that this operation must be done with a pressure bleeder. In other cases, air will be sucked back every time the pedal is released. 10 pedal pressions just help old fluid (which is already pressurized) to be pushed out of the calipers in less time. They are not counted from VCDS in anyway, they are not counted from ABS unit, 10 pressions are a theorical number of pressions to help fluid to be pushed out. I believe that they are not really necessary, we can let the pressure bleeder does its work until new fluid comes out whitout touching brake pedal.

Now if we press "continue" button, VCDS goes back to the first step and repeats the 4 steps in loop. So there is no message which confirms that procedure is complete. We have to decide when to stop it. When we are sure that only new brake fluid is coming out with no air we can stop at the step 4, we close bleed screws and select "Done, go back" then "Close controller, go back" buttons on VCDS, ABS unit status will return normal and we can disconnect VCDS and pressure bleeder.

Why VW technicians use only pressure bleeder to bleed ABS units while an ABS unit bleed procedure is possible?
Many people goes crazy using wrong ways to bleed, they keep to get a spongy brake pedal, then they buy VCDS to perform ABS unit bleed but in many cases they don't fix the problem. That's because of the bleeding method, not of the VCDS.
I can suggest:
- Forgot old bleeding method "press and release pedal with 2 people". If there's any air bubble in the ABS unit, it will come back up into unit every time you release pedal, also if bleeder screw is closed. Fluid movement must be costant to take air out.
- Forgot vacuum bleeders, they are not serious, not only for low pressure but also because some air is ever sucked from bleed screws (Venturi effect), we cant' be sure if fluid is really coming out without air and an old bleeding method (press and release with 2 people) is anyway needed at the end.
- Cheap pressure bleeders make too low pressure, about 10/15 PSI, too far from 29 PSI requested from VW. So maybe that they are not able to push air bubbles out of ABS unit. In this case (and only in this case) I must believe that VCDS bleed function can help, especiallly in the step when it asks to press pedal 10 times. Maybe that this will help old fluid and air bubbles to get out of the ABS unit. I suggest to press and release the pedal very very slow to let time to cheap pressure bleeder to mantain pressure. If pedal is released too fast may be that air is sucked back into calipers.
- Pressure bleeders at least 2 bar / 29 PSI are professional and very expensive and normally are designed to contain several liters of brake fluid. I have mine, I'm lucky to have found a used one. Consider what is cheap for you. Take your car to a VW garage to do a good brakes job for next 2 years or spend a lot of time and money to do bad job on youself and get a dangerous car?

Nice post but a little inaccurate and long
Standard brake bleeding for ABS while engine is running, or static gravity bleeds are also possible & in "all" systems, as is using the outputs or basic settings with multiple technicians depending on control units ability based on firmware/hardware.

There is a reason the RTFB states otherwise & it is not to be substituted for a forum or a guide on NHTSA approved safety systems or possible enhancement's & which can be done with a scan tool & not for all possible controllers.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1580-brake-issue&p=14197&viewfull=1#post14197

I reiterate Uwe's position here:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1580-brake-issue&p=14191&viewfull=1#post14191

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Jack -- please stop demanding Auto-Scans from people who aren't asking for help.

-Uwe-

AleZava

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=302895
I'm sure that if we let all bleed screws open, brake liquid will slowly get out due to gravity, so we can put new liquid into reservoir until we see new liquid outcoming from calipers.
But air has less density than brake liquid, so I'm sure that a gravity bleed can't take away many air bubble, especially from ABS unit.
Many little air bubbles remain adherent to surfaces due to molecular cohesion/surface tension, phenomenon that can be observed also in natural water inside plastic bottles.
Brake liquid must be moved with a certain speed to catch all little air bubbles and drag them away.
A gravity bleed is a poor method, maybe good to subsitute brake liquid but not for bleeding air.

ivantichy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319423

03 - Output test
04 - Basic settings

I can suggest:

Nice post! One thing. If you open FL and FR ABS pump actually pumps fluid out of calipers, not back to master cylinder. Tested today. How did you find it is pumping back to master cylinder? I am very interested. It would make sense..

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It doesn't and it won't if you don't do it wrong!

The only reason something like the OP stated happens is when someone pumps or releases a pedal with a bleeder open.

It's called fluid mechanics and why when you compress a caliper piston why fluid reverse flows inverse & through the lines, a bias & ABS manifold/pump
too and back to the fluid tank.

PASCAL WTF was he thinking writing laws right?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_law

Using the ABS pump to bleed brakes is a mistake! Unless it is called for specifically by the RTFB!

Fun stuff to read while dropping anchor.

http://www.vaglinks.com/vaglinks_com/docs/ssp/VWUSA.COM_SSP_374_Traction_Control.pdf

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_204.pdf

Last edited:

ivantichy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319423
Sorry man it was done according to instructions and it came out through caliper bleed screws ;) How did you do it that is came back to master cylinder?

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Nice post! One thing. If you open FL and FR ABS pump actually pumps fluid out of calipers, not back to master cylinder. Tested today. How did you find it is pumping back to master cylinder? I am very interested. It would make sense..

I believe he's correct (and you too!), but it's just not 100% clear what he means:

Based on my limited understanding/experience:

He didn't say it doesn't come out the bleeders while the pump is activated - he's saying that two processes are happening simultaneously: the pump is actually circulating fluid internally through the ABS block (pump valves) and the pressure-bleeder is feeding the fluid out the callipers - two different processes, but at the same time. So there is fluid coming out the bleeders, but the pump isn't doing it. The pump is doing a different process; pumping air out of the pressure release circuit and valves.

This actually makes complete sense, as it would eject the air out of the pump/valve system, as the fluid moves through, taking the air bubbles with it. That return path is only normally opened when the ABS require reduced pressure at the calliper, so would not be bled during a standard bleeding procedure as those particular valves are normally closed - the circuit needs to be opened, but also the pump needs to circulate fluid through it, to eject the air from the entire release circuit, including the pump, pressure accumulator and the return into the internal system inlet.

Jack already linked to the SSP regarding the hydraulic layout: http://www.vaglinks.com/vaglinks_com/docs/ssp/VWUSA.COM_SSP_374_Traction_Control.pdf

You can see one of each front calliper will bleed each side of the system, as the brakes are diagonally split.

Process 1: Non-aerated (fresh) fluid is moving down from the master and direct through the block to the callipers and out.

Process 2: The pump circulates aerated fluid from within it's own circuit, into the ABS inlet (internally) and it mixes with the fresh fluid from Process 1. Process 1 then "washes" the air bubbles out through the callipers. The cycles are repeated more than once, to ensure all air is ejected from the system, as a certain amount of internal recirculation could happen.

The MK60 doesn't use an external charge pump, like some other systems, so requires this internal "flush" to empty that circuit of air. Systems with an external charge pump and return line to the Master cylinder reservoir can do this same process, without requiring internal flow through the path the the callipers.

Back