It is officially winter at my house

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Today the high we be 7, and it doesn't look like it's going to stay substantially warm

LvCLLvx.png

Like every Autumn, I swapped all the LED bulbs back to incandescent.
The LED save on cooling in the summer and the incans provide additional heat in the winter, using lamps that are already on.

This idea sprouted about 12 years ago while visiting a high end re-model a friend was working on.
It was bitter cold but quite nice inside - he kept it warm for his crew just with work lights.

Additionally the set of stacked pizza stones went in the oven.
They almost completely cover the bottom grate and radiate heat well into the following day after using the oven.

My Fitzroy storm glass agrees with the feeling in my bones about frost coming:

R6lgW7S.jpg

apologies for the dust and dog feathers - she likes to sleep next to that cabinet, hence the glass top

Now all I need is an Irish coffee.... :D

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Meh, you live on the coastal plain of North Carolina, maybe 250 meters above sea level. There's no such thing as real winter there. :p

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
In Estonia there were snow, cant confirm. When i could have snowfun with my 4WD, i have to come to Germany where was +20C

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
There's no such thing as real winter there. :p

Says the man who just got back from Florida :p
Took me longer than planned but I got outta that hot mess up there !

And yes we do have winter, snows almost every year too.
Snowed almost a meter last year

6iVXltF.jpg

I even made a snowman

QOa6I6S.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Says the man who just got back from Florida :p
I have a place in Florida 'cause I know exactly what winter is here -- we 10' high piles of snow at the edge of the RT parking lot last year. :rolleyes:

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
10' high piles of snow at the edge of the RT parking lot last year. :rolleyes:

I'm all too familiar with it - remember where I come from get over 400" (10 meters) of snow per year.

Our business in May:

n4Hsjkt.jpg

(that hill continues to slope to road level, that's all snow and the sign is 75' tall if I remember correctly)

My house in May:

3Oos6e2.jpg
5NpBxE0.jpg

An interesting phenomena called snow rollers occurred at one of our camps last winter:

HeSN7R9.jpg

ps - we're not on the plain, this is the piedmont - from the Latin for foot hill :p

Last edited:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Aw Jake, you're posting this when we had our hottest Hallowe'en on record! It topped out at 23C in London; however much cooler at around 15-16C where I live - up north. Still too warm for me though.

I buck the trend a little, in that I love frosty snowy winters. It's strange to me that in some people's eyes, the hotter it is, the nicer the weather. Do people really enjoy being that sticky? The weather has all year round to be sunny one day and grey skies the next, but only winter to be snowy. Even though I've toppled into my forties I still feel the magical nostalgia of winter.

Looking back to my childhood schooldays; the start of the school year in September was when things started to come alive. The days, even though still getting quite warm, you could tell the sun was struggling a bit and the sultry air of the summer would give way to a freshness. We just loved being outside, as September progressed the leaves would start turning and we get the spectacular autumn colour. (Although I hear that some North American Territories have some native deciduous species that give an even more vivid display of colour...). My birthday is in October (I wonder if that is why I love the season?) By Hallowe'en we'd have had the first ground frost and into November the white frosts would be made into slides on the tarmac (asphalt?) in the school yard. In December, we would have a flurry or two of snow before Christmas. It may not have snowed on Christmas Day (to be an 'official' White Christmas) but there was generally frost or snow around.

We would then generally watch the weather in North America in the New Year and throughout January; as when you got the bad snow, we'd get it about two weeks later. Loved it. Still do. Instead of going sledging, I just go for a play in the quattro now.

But our winters have definitely changed. I remember about six or so years ago doing my Christmas shopping in my T-shirt because it was about 16C. That's just plain wrong. And last winter is the first one where we didn't have any lying snow at all. So I have fingers crossed for the next fortnight...

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I buck the trend a little, in that I love frosty snowy winters.

I do to... from inside a ski lodge or cabin somewhere while someone else moves the snow 15 times a day and a helo or chauffeur takes me places :D

It's strange to me that in some people's eyes, the hotter it is, the nicer the weather. Do people really enjoy being that sticky? The weather has all year round to be sunny one day and grey skies the next, but only winter to be snowy. Even though I've toppled into my forties I still feel the magical nostalgia of winter.

Agreed, couldn't stand it being hot year round.
My company HQ is in Florida and I despise going there any time other than summer as the heat/humidity is un-natural.

Many yankees move to Florida and after a few years migrate back north to clog up our roads and economy in the mid-South.
We call them half-backers; they don't want to move all the way back but it's too hot for them down there.

Hopefully we can maintain below freezing for a few weeks here again this year to kill of the bugs.

Although I must say it is very nice in Central America with 20 degrees year round and nice breezes :cool:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I buck the trend a little, in that I love frosty snowy winters. It's strange to me that in some people's eyes, the hotter it is, the nicer the weather. Do people really enjoy being that sticky? The weather has all year round to be sunny one day and grey skies the next, but only winter to be snowy. Even though I've toppled into my forties I still feel the magical nostalgia of winter.

I spent my youth in the snowbelts south of Buffalo, NY. For those across the pond, there's a phenomenon called "lake-effect snow" that essentially dumps *meters* of snow in western NY State from mid-fall until Lake Erie finally freezes over in late January. After I moved away from there to the eastern half of the state, I used to walk around outdoors without a coat if the temperature was above freezing, spend weekends outdoors, and in my 20's even rode my motorcycle to work all winter. Then came the doctor's visit and week-long hospital stay about 6 years ago. Long story short, my latest blood pressure readings were 10.9/7.7 kPa (82/58 mm Hg) last month during my last checkup, its 21 C in my house and I'm shivering, and if I had a vote I'd nominate the person who invented the Snuggie for a freaking Nobel prize. Don't get me wrong. I still hate humidity, but am starting to think that a place with dry heat like the US desert southwest (or Australia) may be worth a visit. Oh, and get off my lawn!!!!! :)

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
The naysayers can kiss my you know what.
Temperature outside was -4C when this was taken - far more crystals than Saturday's picture....

Ase750A.jpg

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Is that spiraling pattern synonymous with "pretty darn cold outside for November in PA"? :) If so, that's an exceptionally accurate instrument!

Yep! Crystals forming from the bottom indicate frost.
Mines been going crazy with the cold this week.

These are far more accurate than the weather guessers and their super computer models.
Then again looking out the window is too :rolleyes:

I want to get this one too:

20h7uMx.jpg

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I am glad that I no longer live in the south towns of Buffalo! 1.5 meters of snow in a day...and a forecast for another 60+cm before the end of tomorrow. They may even cancel the Bills game on Sunday, since the stadium was in the dump zone.....

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Yeah, if we could get some snow, that would be nice. :)

Back