Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early 05 Passat ABS 1 Fault Found: 00301 - ABS Return Flow Pump (V39) 35

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you JYOUNG!
    From reading other posts, could it be that some recoding needs to be done?
    And if so, can the VagCom do it?

If not, I was thinking about going to junk yard and trying to find the complete unit and swapping it out. (I know it is a major job with all the bleeding )
    I think someone told me once that if I find the same part?? number, I could?
    And if I do all that, will some recoding be necessary?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glkirk View Post
    Thank you JYOUNG!
    From reading other posts, could it be that some recoding needs to be done?
    And if so, can the VagCom do it?
    VCDS could change it if needed, but your current coding of 4277 is appropriate to your car:

Code:
    0?xxx: Chassis
    4 = Audi A4 (8D) / VW Passat (3B)
    6 = Audi A6 (4B)
    8 = Audi A8 (4D)
    0x?xx: Brakes
    1 = C54 (Lucas) [PR-1LZ]
    2 = FN3 (Teves/ATE) [PR-1LB/1LE/1LF/1LT/1ZC] (verified you have PR-1LE using PartsLink24 lookup of your VIN)
    3 = FN2/HP2 (Dual-Piston) [PR-1LX] & Brembo [PR-1ZL]
    4 = FNRG-60 (Teves/ATE) [PR-1LA/1LG]
    0xx?x: Engine
    5 = 4/6/8 Cyl. Diesel
    7 = 4/5 Cyl. Gasoline
    9 = 6/8/12 Cyl. Gasoline
    0xxx?: Transmission
    3 = Manual with Low Range (only Audi A6 Allroad)
    5 = Manual
    7 = Automatic (01L/01N/01V)
    9 = Multitronic (01J)
    If not, I was thinking about going to junk yard and trying to find the complete unit and swapping it out. (I know it is a major job with all the bleeding )
    I think someone told me once that if I find the same part?? number, I could?
    Sure. And I think that would be my next step, if this were my car. Some repair info sources for other VW/Audi makes indicates there's some electrical troubleshooting that you would want to do, and I had wondered about that 3-pin connector you mentioned. However, the Bentley repair manual specific to this model-year-range Passat says you skip straight to condemning the hydraulic assembly. Mmmkay!

Printed output from Scan Tool VAG1551 (ST) Possible cause Corrective action
    00301 - ABS return flow pump V39
    Malfunction in hydraulic control module
    Erase DTC Memory 05 Erase DTC Memory (function 05), End Output (Function 06).
    Switch off ignition.
    Switch on ignition
    If malfunction occurs again, replace hydraulic control unit.
    There are some reasonably priced units on eBay if you are okay with used. I would get the entire assembly, not just the electronics, because the pump in question is part of the hydraulic side. PL24 indicates you may use 4B0 614 517 G (your original), 4B0 614 517 P, or 4B0 614 517 J. Avoid all other variants, they're for different powertrain configurations.

And if I do all that, will some recoding be necessary?
    Potentially. When you install the new module, scan the car and see if it's already coded to 4277. If so, you're good. If not, there's some instructions you need to follow, it takes a little more than "just" setting the coding to 4277.

Check out this link: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...S/EDS/ASR/ESP)

And here's a video where Jef @ Ross-Tech steps through the process:

Last edited by jyoung8607; 10-06-2018 at 01:38 PM.
    Silence gives consent.

3. Likes glkirk, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for your help!
    I will take your numbers and look on Ebay and at my local junk yard.
    Awfully nice of you to help me!

5. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope these pictures show.
    So, I looked on Ebay to find ambiguous listings or very expensive 1000.00 units. Became confused and discouraged. Will continue to at least understand what may or may not work from ebay and online.
    Went to my local junk yard. They had 3 passats but none of them had the config with the 3pin connector to it. See pic of mine and junk yards.
    I tested the 3 pin connector and think (quite sure!) I found the red to be the ground and the other two to have 4.5 volts.
    I found this posting on another site and found it very interesting. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...low-Pump-(V39) by Reiddy
    From this idea, I loosened the housing< like it said, and it did feel stuck. Put it all back together, cleared codes and road tested-no joy.
    Even tried removing fuse from computer and tried to activate the pump but could not, and could not understand how Reiddy was telling me to.
    I wonder if there is a wiring schematic showing the wiring going into the ABS Module, so I could test just the motor?

Thanks for any help.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like they did not show.
    The instructions says to paste the url between tags, but when I click on "Post image" I get a bar telling me to paste into!