Hex+Can not able to Read car after Glow Light wire shorted to ground

PhilipKrell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=79903
VCDS cant read the ECU after Glow Plug light wire shorted, Though engines starts & runs fine. the VCDS window says no car is connected. Prior to the wire short, I was able to communicate with ECU just fine. Any thoughts?

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
Try disconnecting your battery for a few minutes and reconnecting. Then try scanning again

PhilipKrell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=79903
I have checked all fuses & relays that I can find. I have disconnected the ECU (both terminals) and removed each fuse, disconnected the gauge cluster, then reconnected them, so the power should have been cycled. Is there a possibility that the ECU is damaged even though the engine starts and runs correctly, though I can not connect to it?

PhilipKrell

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=79903
Thanks for your replies & Help. Found the issue, there was a blown fuse. Reason that this was hard to find: This is an ASZ pumpe-duse 1.9L TDI retrofited into a 1989 Vanagon Westfalia with a analog (origional) dash with 2 lightes added into the metal dash board assembly. ECU, fuses, relays are located in the back under the seat where the original equipment was, with the exception of this one fuse which is located as an add-on wire to the back of the fuse box. I only found it by tracing all the new wiring behind the dash. I did not do the conversion, and do not have the wiring diagrams. The ECU has been customized so there is only the engine component and no other modules, of any CANBus. The Vanagon is converted to Drive'by'Wire so all engine controls work as VW designed. The engine is tuned pushes 150HP / 170 ft lbs torque, very fun to drive, and still gets over 24 MPG at 75 mph fully loaded.
I was extending the the wiring for the two lights so I can move them into the original gauge cluster so I can see them better. I accidentally shorted one of the wires, I had thought that there was no power as I had the ignition off, should have checked with a meter!
I have been a member for many years, though I have not been active, only reading posts , and only using my VCDS for checking conditions and faults. Now I have reasons to use it much more completely.
PK

Reactions: Uwe
Back