Thread: A4 8E 2002 CCS not working after engine swap

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

A4 8E 2002 CCS not working after engine swap

Hi Guys...
    I have customer who bought this car after someone swapped engine from 2,5 AKE to 1.9 AVF and gearbox was also changed from automatic to manual. Everything works fine and no foults but CCS is not working. All coding is ok. I checked all signals and had to repair only clutch pedal wiring. I dont have car speed signal in ECU. In all other modules speed signal is present. Speedometer in dash works fine. When I put wire ws/bl directly from dash pin 21 (green plug speed signal) to ECU pin 20 nothing is changing. There was modification in this model that till some year it took speed signal from gearbox and after it took from ABS and go by CAN ?? So maybe they put newer ECU that wait for CAN speed signal ?? Actual engine ECU Part number 038906019JT. Sorry for not having autoscan
    Rgs.

Post Thanks / Like
    We're going to need an Auto-Scan to help you sort out this car.

3. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ehhh I didn't make it when customer was in my garage and now he is away...
    But is my thinking ok ?? This car is before 2003 and speed signal is from gearbox and swapped ECU could be from car after 2003 and it waits for CAN signal from ABS ??
    There is foult in ECU after short drive "implausible speed signal"... In MVB 06-01 speed signal 0kmh.

5. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds entirely possible. That was an issue in the Mk4 Jetta when you swapped from 09A (tiptronic auto) to manual transmission but if the car was a 01M (4-speed auto) and you put a manual trans in the car wiring modifications were not needed because of the VSS type. The 01M had a vehicle speed sensor on the differential like the manual and the 09A was PT CAN via the TCM. If memory serves there were speedo and CCS problems.

If you haven't done so already I would check wiring diagrams for both setups to make sure that is the cause of the problem. If you don't have this sorted please post a scan in the current condition when it returns.

7. Likes amigokola liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ELSA description: from 2003 there is no longer fitted ws/bl wire to ECU pin number 21, so I suppose I have to look for AVF ECU 2001-2002.

9. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reflashing with proper SW did the trick. Thank's.