MK7 Golf BCM Replacement and Keys

Chimuel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274674
I am replacing my Mk7 Golf Sportwagen BCM, I am going from part number 5Q0-937-087-Q to 5Q0-937-087-R which was pulled from a wrecked car.

I am creating an Adaptation Maps of each channel of my current BCM prior to visiting a dealership to remove the Component Protection on the 'new' BCM.

I have a standard ignition (non-KESSY) and was wondering if the following is valid:
1. Bring my car to the dealership with original BCM installed.
2. Swap to the new BCMs and have them program the keys.
3. Swap back to my original BCM and still have my keys function with it.

I like having back out plans for my projects and swapping back to the original part would be ideal without having to reprogram keys again.

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
Hi

The dealer can swap the BCM and set up your keys, which you need to start the car!
The dealer have software called ODIS which has the capability of swapping a BCM and coding it. Whether they will do it for you or not depends on how willing they are, as some dealers will only program a new module. You will only know by asking, failing in which there are plenty of independent garages with access to VW servers who can do it all for it, if you are not comfortable.

Chimuel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274674
Thanks! I have a good relationship with the dealership (also my APR dealer) and they are willing to do the work. My main concern is if I want to switch back to my original BCM if the keys will still work or if it will need to be reprogrammed again.

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
The keys won't work.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
you'll also have to go to the dealer again. EVERYTIME you swap a module with CP, CP kicks in again.

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
I tried this on a 4G A6. The used BCM would not allow us to adapt the keys to the car so it failed at the first hurdle. This was with a genuine ODIS connection. Manged to get a brand new unit to try at some point. Been told by some people that they can code a used unit but yet to see ... Could be different on the VW modules?

Chimuel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274674
I tried this on a 4G A6. The used BCM would not allow us to adapt the keys to the car so it failed at the first hurdle. This was with a genuine ODIS connection. Manged to get a brand new unit to try at some point. Been told by some people that they can code a used unit but yet to see ... Could be different on the VW modules?

I suppose I'll find out next week!

Chimuel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274674
Got this done finally --too much weather action here in the US so I kept having to move my appointment. My used part went in and was programmed successfully by the dealer!

Cheers

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
just for the sake of information, when the BCM is replaced in the Golf 7, it is the keyfob that stops working. if you have more than one, usually it's two, all of them will need to be "learned" by the new BCM.

but the hard key(s) will always start the car, no need to touch immo at all.

Back