Memory Seats Retrofit S5 F5 B9 - SPORTBACK

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
Hi All,

Has anyone done a memory seat retrofit on a S5 Sportback?

On the Coupe this is considerably easier as the memory seats module is in place already for the rear entry, on a Sportback though they leave it off, not something I realised till already installing the buttons and new trim!

Is this just a case of putting the module in place, in its holder and changing the seat wiring loom for the new connections to the motors or am I missing anything :)

Cheers, Andy

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
Haha That's my car he is talking about

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589
Please keep this and maybe the other post updated. I'd like to know too. For me it's no so much the memory seats as the Easy Entry that is more interesting, as we are single driver household.

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
Yeah, the easy entry is a strange one as it was in the MMI on my S5 when I collected it even though it has no Seat Memory!

Will keep you in the loop

VAG_David

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=137034
First off the S5 should have memory modules even if you don't have the buttons on the door. This has been standard on most of the A5 coupes since the start of the B8's.

As far as retrofitting into the Sport-back..

Short answer is yes it can be done. I've done it on a B9 A4 which is just about the same vehicle.

Long Answer:

You will need the
1) door trim
2) memory switch
3) Memory Switch plug
4) 5 Pins I think for the memory plug and 3 for the door module plug. 2 others tap in.
5) 2 wiring harnesses for the seat (as both the back and bottom are different)
6) Can bus wire to run to the gateway from seat (comfort bus)
7) 2 pins for the bottom existing plug for the can bus wire
8) Module Holder
9) Module
10) Seat switch
11) VCDS for coding

extended info...

The modules vary, but from what I can tell you need a module with no revision. as in no letter at the end. I know they make different modules based on years but I used a 4M0 module on car that should have 4M4 and it worked perfect.
You need a used module.. Good Luck.. Took me forever to find one but it may be because of where I'm living now. Not everyone will ship here. You can get a new module but you need to find someone with a comparable car to take it into the dealer and get it loaded with parameters.
Now I don't know the last for sure but it's a fairly good bet since Audi and VW are using parameters for just about all their modules now a days. There is no online protection for seat modules. No dealer trip needed.

Seat harnesses.

You can cheat here. The original harnesses are not that expensive, however. If you want to save some money and pain of replacing the rear seat harness you can simply cut the 1 plug that goes up into the back of the seat from your original harness and use it to replace the 2 plugs the new harness uses.
Will require some cutting and soldering to do properly. You will be left with one extra wire on the old plug that that the new one doesn't use. If you choose to use a new harness no big deal. Just make sure you have lots of different sized trim tools and patients to get the old harness removed and the new one in its place.

Good Luck.

P.S. Coding.. If you get a used module that is opposite of your car I.E. RHD, LHD. It's fine but the coding is different and you will need to re code.
If you want Easy entry and exit, enable it in the module and make sure you enable electric steering column in module 9. That will bring up the menu entry in the MIB and make the feature work. It will not cause any errors.

Best Regards,

David

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
@VAG_David - Thanks for the really useful post, will let you know how I get on when the controller mounting and seat harness arrive!

VAG_David

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=137034
I just recalled. You do need both seat harnesses no matter what. Some of the wiring plugs into the module on a separate plug than the main base harness. You can either buy plugs and mess around or get the second harness and modify it using what I mentioned above so you don't need to replace the entire back harness.
it will all make sense when you see the harness and module.

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
Not sure what you mean by 'both' seat harnesses David?

I have 8W0 971 366 EA on order which I believe is the seat wiring harness I need, is there a second one too?

VAG_David

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=137034
Yes there are 2. I didn't notice that at first either. But there is one for the seat back and one for the seat base.. You did order new seat switch controller as well I hope.

VAG_David

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=137034
Best double check the part number but I think you need 8W0 971 369 R as well.

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
I've just checked in ETKA again and there is only one harness for the seat on the 2017 A5 Sportback.

I did check the switches, they are the same now for memory and non memory seats, they did used to be different though.

Only bits I have on order are the seat memory controller, the harness and the holder for the controller. The seat buttons, new trim and wiring for the switch is already in place and the door controllers have all been swapped for high versions as we have added side assist also.

Cheers, Andy

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
Ah, now I see, the Lumbar and backrest has a different harness. Thats annoying.... Thats a lot of connectors in the seat lol

Thanks David :)

VAG_David

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=137034
I did check the switches, they are the same now for memory and non memory seats, they did used to be different though.

Cheers, Andy

Not true. Take it from someone in the business that has done this retrofit. The original switches control the motors directly, the new switches are signal switches that just tell the module what to do. Wiring and plugs are different. Only switch the same is the lumbar switch... look up. 8W0 959 748 A

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
Hi David,

I have a huge amount of respect for you mate. Looking in ETKA now the switch for height, rake, backrest etc is 4M0 959 748 and that says its covers 3L4 and 3L5 which is with and without memory? There is no separate product for 3L4 or 3L5.

Thanks for the heads up on the extra wiring loom, just asked for a price for it now!

VAG_David

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=137034
Trust me, it took me a few tries to get all the part numbers correct and all the parts. I had everything before I realised that there was another harness. The Codes 3L4 and 3L5 are confusing. Because yes it is correct but only if the switch is passenger switch on LHD drive. Then the codes still make sense.. You think this one is fun. Try the QQ2 ambient lighting :)

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
These are the only items I can find for that switch:

tWw4L2.jpg

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
P.S. Thankfully I have the extended lighting :)

VAG_David

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=137034
just want back through my parts order and 8W0 959 748 A is the switch I ordered.

DarkyUK

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=61560
Thanks David, it looks like a fairly cheap part so I will order one just in case :)

Back