USB Interface Not Found error on HEX+CAN Cable

monzablau16v

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=202051
Hi.

I am having a problem with my Ross-Tech HEX + CAN USB cable which has worked flawlessly since i purchased it a few years ago. I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (windows 10 64bit) and the cable has been working fine on this. I last used it multiple times to scan and do some updates back in March this year:

extract from a saved log file:
Thursday,08,March,2018,21:11:08:06652
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 17.8.0.1 (x64)
Data version: 20170721 DS276.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

Last week i attempted to connect it again and run it via VCDS (version 18.1 - this had been auto updated by itself) BUT it barfed with an error:

Ross-Tech USB Interface Not Found!
USB Library Version 03.02.07
Interface Not Found!

I tried a manual update to v18.2 of VCDS (full uninstall of existing VCDS, then reinstall) and again the same error. I have attempted multiple uninstalls and reinstalls but just cant get the cable to get recognised.

I have plenty of screenshots of I think all the important info as well as a windows log
see here and here

I did have access to an old laptop which i used to check the cable was OK, and when i plugged that into the older laptop (running VCDS 18.2) - bam it was recognised straight away. Can anyone help with getting the cable working on my Windows Surface Pro 4 again please ... its the only device i have which I can realistically use with the cable.

If more info is needed then please let me know and I will attempt to provide it.

many thanks!

Last edited:

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Warning 19/08/2018 10:11:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP 442 None "Device USB\VID_0403&PID_FA24\RT000001 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.[/FONT]

Lets go ahead and remove the driver from your system. Please download and extract the following utility:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities/CDMUninstaller_v1.4.zip

You want to run CDMuninstallerGUI.exe

Enter the following:

Vendor ID 0403
Product ID FA24.

Click [Add]

It should look like this:
60yo.jpg

Then click remove devices.

Once removed, please install a fresh copy of VCDS and see if that fixes it.

monzablau16v

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=202051
Thanks Santos. I followed the instructions but unfortunately am still getting the same issue.

See screenshots here

Any more suggestions or things to try?

this is my cable (genuine item purchased directly from ross-tech) : photo 1 & 2

thank you

Last edited:

monzablau16v

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=202051
Hi...any further things to try or check? It's quite frustrating not being able to use my cable now, just don't know why it's stopped working on the surface pro.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (windows 10 64bit) and the cable has been working fine on this. I last used it multiple times to scan and do some updates back in March this year
Have you had any Windows 10 updates since you last used your cable?

I'm wondering if the latest Windows 10 updates have messed up the driver, especially in view of this message:
Warning 19/08/2018 10:11:05 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP 442 None "Device USB\VID_0403&PID_FA24\RT000001 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

monzablau16v

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=202051
Have you had any Windows 10 updates since you last used your cable?

I'm wondering if the latest Windows 10 updates have messed up the driver, especially in view of this message:

Yes its set to auto update so its no doubt had some form of update from Microsoft Windows Update (security patches etc.) Is there some kind of known issue with specific W10 updates though which could assist me? I've been searching heaps of forums but havn't found anything definitive.

thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Have you looked at the stuff in Post #6?

-Uwe-

monzablau16v

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=202051
still reading up on it to be honest. Is there some specific web link on what i should be trying in relation to Device Guard? I assume i need to try and disable it or something?

thanks

Back