HEX-NET won't communicate - VCI Config crashed while updating CB

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
After downloading and installing VCDS Beta 18.7.1 I ran Config which said my HEX-NET needed an update from CB 0.4427 to CB 0.4430 so I clicked on update and left it running.

After an hour (I was busy doing some DIY) I came back to find that VCI Config was shown as Not Responding and the progress bars were stuck, so I had no choice but to quit VCI Config.

Now when I power up my HEX-NET the separte LED comes on green for a few seconds then flashes red, and the other two LEDs by the red button never turn on.

How can I get my HEX-NET working again?

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Does the Windows VCDS Interface Config Utility (VCIConfig) still retrieve the serial number ok?
If so, try this

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Does the Windows VCDS Interface Config Utility (VCIConfig) still retrieve the serial number ok?
Nope, VCIConfig just reports gs_timeout.

Unless someone knows different it looks to me like the interruption of the CB update when VCIConfig hung has bricked my HEX-NET?

BTW I think VCIConfig hung because Windows (8.1) decided it needed to re-install the USB drivers after the HEX-NET disconnected and reconnected earlier in the update process and the driver install hung which then made VCIConfig hang - that's my theory.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Reboot both the HEX-NET and the PC and try again please. It's pretty much inconceivable that a failed CB update would permanently brick a HEX-NET.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Reboot both the HEX-NET and the PC and try again please. It's pretty much inconceivable that a failed CB update would permanently brick a HEX-NET.
Done that, and tried with a different PC (also running Beta 18.7.1) - same result.

On boot up the HEX-NET just shows a single steady green LED for a few seconds, then a single rapidly flashing red LED and doesn't communicate by USB or connect to WiFi.

Any other suggestions welcomed - please!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Done that, and tried with a different PC (also running Beta 18.7.1) - same result.

On boot up the HEX-NET just shows a single steady green LED for a few seconds, then a single rapidly flashing red LED and doesn't communicate by USB or connect to WiFi.
Then I'm stumped for now, and Shaun probably won't be by until Monday.

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Try holding down the red button for like 3 seconds while you plug in the interface and it boots. Then check for updates and see if you can get it to go. If that doesn't work, check device manager and see if the interface is showing up there.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Try holding down the red button for like 3 seconds while you plug in the interface and it boots. Then check for updates and see if you can get it to go. If that doesn't work, check device manager and see if the interface is showing up there.

HEX-NET now shows single flashing green LED and is seen by Device Manager & VCI Config which tried to do a lot of updates - but when it got as far as "Building SD update" a message appeared saying that it cannot reach your server and has stalled? Internet access is OK though as PC can connect to Google.

BTW in the WiFi tab of VCI Config the SSID is corrupted.

Still not a healthy HEX-NET :confused:

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Looks like you've got valid FW, CFB, and CB modules again now.

Next, I'd suggest a long (45 seconds) reset to see if that can get the SD cleaned up.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Next, I'd suggest a long (45 seconds) reset to see if that can get the SD cleaned up.
OK, will do that now.

Here's the current state:
1rT1Yce.jpg

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Just tried the 45 second reset - with exactly the same result - of "Error Code -8".

Anything else to try before I need a replacement?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How about the WiFi status? Did the 45-second reset at least fix that up?

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
How about the WiFi status? Did the 45-second reset at least fix that up?
Nope, 'fraid not. No networks found in WiFi tab, and Overview tab shows corrupt SSID.

sUJhXnP.jpg

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I don't like that all zero mac address. Try rebooting everything, including your router, so that we're sure we are on a clean slate here. Try update again. If that doesn't work, try a wifi scan and post a screenshot.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I don't like that all zero mac address. Try rebooting everything, including your router, so that we're sure we are on a clean slate here. Try update again. If that doesn't work, try a wifi scan and post a screenshot.
Done all that, same result of all zero MAC address and no WiFi found - we must be close to deciding that my HEX-NET is toast and needs to go home?

blicKba.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nah, at this point, my gut says it just needs a new SD card, which I'm trying to arrange for you right now.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Nah, at this point, my gut says it just needs a new SD card, which I'm trying to arrange for you right now.
Great! Please PM me details once it's on its way, it feels very exposed not having a working VCDS cable ;)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It should go out today...

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Uwe was 100% right - all my HEX-NET needed was a new SD Card - after some fantastic support from Uwe & Shaun on how to pair the new SD card and the HEX-NET it's working great again.

You guys are amazing :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Last edited:
Back