Word of the day

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Word of the day today is :

Prevaricate but I was thinking of the word "belie"..........

pre·var·i·cate
prəˈverəˌkāt/
verb
verb: prevaricate; 3rd person present: prevaricates; past tense: prevaricated; past participle: prevaricated; gerund or present participle: prevaricating

• speak or act in an evasive way.
    "he seemed to prevaricate when journalists asked pointed questions"
    synonyms:be evasive, beat around the bush, hedge, fence, shilly-shally, dodge (the issue), sidestep (the issue), equivocate, waffle; More

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Serenely : ...............

se·rene·ly
səˈrēnlē/
adverb
[COLOR=#878787 !important]

• in a calm, peaceful, and untroubled manner.
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]"she smiled serenely"

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
ab·di·cate
ˈabdəˌkāt/
verb
past tense: abdicated; past participle: abdicated

• (of a monarch) renounce one's throne.
    "in 1918 Kaiser Wilhelm abdicated as German emperor"
    synonyms:resign, retire, stand down, step down, bow out, renounce the throne; Morearchaicdemit
    "the king abdicated in 1936"

resign from, relinquish, renounce, give up, surrender, vacate, cede;
    disclaim;
    formalabjure
    "Ferdinand abdicated the throne"

antonyms:be crowned, accede to

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Combinations of words often used incorrectly as the words of the day I was grammar slammed with......... :p

De-jure verse De-facto

de ju·re
di ˈjo͝orē,dā ˈjo͝oˌrā/
adverb
adverb: de jure; adverb: dejure

according to rightful entitlement or claim; by right.
    synonyms:
    by right, rightfully, legally, according to the law; Morerightful, legal
    "Andrew's seat on the board was taken de jure by his brother"

antonyms:
    de facto

adjective
adjective: de jure; adjective: dejure

denoting something or someone that is rightfully such.
    "he had been de jure king since his father's death"

Latin: of the law. Related Terms: De Facto. The term has come to describe a lawful, legal control of a state or a corporation. For example, a de jure government is one which has been created in respect of constitutional law and is in all ways legitimate even though a de facto government may be in control.

de fac·to
ˌdā ˈfaktō/
adverb
adverb: de facto; adverb: defacto

in fact, or in effect, whether by right or not.
    "the island has been de facto divided into two countries"
    synonyms:
    in practice, in effect, in fact, in reality, really, actually "the republic is de facto two states"

antonyms:
    de jure

adjective
adjective: de facto; adjective: defacto

denoting someone or something that is such in fact.
    "a de facto one-party system"
    synonyms:
    actual, real, effective "de facto control"

antonyms:
    de jure

De Facto is a legal term meaning "in fact" or "in reality", which is used to qualify many legal terms. For example, de fact segregation refers to segregation which occurs without any official action by government officials, but results from social, psycholological, or economic conditions.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Follow up article.......

https://onlinelaw.wustl.edu/blog/legal-english-de-factode-jure/

[h=1]Legal English: “De Facto/De Jure”[/h]December 28, 2012 by @WashULaw
De_facto_de_jure.png

Today’s phrases, “de facto” and “de jure,” (Pronunciation: dee fak-toh/di joo r-ee: Origin: Latin) are closely related concepts. De facto means a state of affairs that is true in fact, but that is not officially sanctioned. In contrast, de jure means a state of affairs that is in accordance with law (i.e. that is officially sanctioned). Most commonly, these phrases are used to describe the source of a business or governmental leader’s authority, but they apply to a wide variety of situations. Here are some example sentences that use the phrases:

• “Our country is going through some very difficult times. We have an elected prime minister, but he has no actual power. Instead, the general who sits at the head of the military is the de facto ruler of the nation.”
  • “I know that, de jure, this is supposed to be a parking lot, but now that the flood has left four feet of water here, it’s a de facto swimming pool.”
  • “We understand that these are the de facto bounds of your manufacturing facility, but what do the official land records and surveys show? Is that mountain of scrap rubber over there encroaching on anyone else’s property?”
  • “The rest of the world considers your company to be a U.S. corporation, but where is your de jure jurisdiction of incorporation? If it’s somewhere offshore, we might have a P.R. issue on our hands.”
As you can see, de facto refers to situations that are true for practical reasons, whereas de jure refers to formal, official status of the matter.
Many international business matters and legal issues will involve these concepts. Rare are the businesses that can afford, for business or financial reasons, to get official counsel on all matters. As a result, practical solutions will often be carried out for many years before it is discovered that a law, regulation or official policy has been overlooked. The precise terms of contracts in particular, especially in form agreements, will often be disregarded during normal operations as business partners work through issues in practical ways that are outside or in conflict with the terms of the agreement. When such companies are later acquired or subject to other transactions, the difference between the de jure state of affairs and the de facto state of affairs will often be a matter for attorneys and business people to work out together.
Please note that these phrases are used as adjectives, and, as with other Latin or foreign language borrowings into English, they are commonly written in italics.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
ubiquitous

u·biq·ui·tous

yo͞oˈbikwədəs/
adjective
adjective: ubiquitous

• present, appearing, or found everywhere.
    "his ubiquitous influence was felt by all the family"
    synonyms:omnipresent, ever-present, everywhere, all over the place, pervasive, universal, worldwide, global; More

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Disgorgement

The banks & Insurance companies are engaged in a disgorging unlawful profit!

dis·gorge
disˈɡôrj/
verb
gerund or present participle: disgorging

cause to pour out.
    "the combine disgorged a steady stream of grain"
    synonyms:
    pour out, discharge, eject, throw out, emit, expel, spit out, spew out, belch forth, spout; Morevomit, regurgitate
    "the combine disgorged a stream of grain"

• (of a building or vehicle) discharge (the occupants).
      "an aircraft disgorging paratroopers"
    • yield or give up (funds, especially funds that have been dishonestly acquired).
      "they were made to disgorge all the profits made from the record"
      synonyms:
      surrender, relinquish, hand over, give up, turn over, yield; Moreinformalcough up, fork over
      "they were made to disgorge all the profits"

• eject (food) from the throat or mouth.
    • (of a river) empty into a sea.
      "the Nile disgorges into the sea at Rashid"

remove the sediment from (a sparkling wine) after fermentation.
    "the wine is aged in the bottle before it is disgorged"

Disgorgement is the act of giving up something such as the profits obtained by illegal or unethical acts on demand or by legal compulsion. Court can order wrongdoers to pay back illegal profits to prevent unjust enrichment. Disgorgement is a remedy and not a punishment.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
iconoclast (noun) - a person who attacks cherished beliefs or institutions.

More and more, African-American iconoclasts reject victimology and embrace American possibility.

synonyms: critic, skeptic, heretic, unbeliever, dissident, dissenter, infidel, rebel, renegade, mutineer

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
"Hysteresis" of Aether.

Not a new word for me but is indeed the word of the day or for the weekend.

Lots of tests to do!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ wow-Jack!! Had to Google it - Respect!!!

I had long been familiar with the term "hysteresis" from my early control systems classes. But "hysteresis of aether" as an alternative to the theory of electromagnetic radiation is certainly new to me. Anti-Relativity is not something that I'd ever contemplated and the sheer idea of questioning Mr Einstein's work is doing my head-in big-time!!

Good luck with your investigations - perhaps a glass (or two) of Mr Daniel's brown stuff will lubricate the brain?

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
"Quintessence" is the other word.
Including myself, you know it just amazes me at how the easy answer just lurks in front of our faces and no one ever sees it?
I have worked around it for a lifetime.
Back to the days of small engine tinkering and the fun as a kid of learning by taking stuff apart without any understanding than it runs if I do X or I get slapped for turning a prop on a plane without knowing it's a hot mag at age of 4, than my dad explained why and since then I was hooked. The mystery of the unknown plotted course, is so much more fun, than just being told or reading a complex theory from a book but I like those too!
Sometimes I'd rather not know or think I know something, it is so much more fulfilling.

The plus there is the hint and actual danger of things, you know like lightning!

Back