Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Audi S3

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Akkipen: Good to read that you solved the instrument panel illumination issue - Just for reference, there;s perhaps another methodology to achieve a similar outcome and to tailor the lighting effect on the dashboard clocks to Norway's unique daylight conditions.

I note the following channels in your hex17 Admap:

Code:
    ENG105831-ENG99777-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y1,00 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG100480-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y2,00 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG100773-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y3,05 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG100631-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y4,14 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG102174-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y5,50 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG113993-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y6,64 ,12
    There are a few of these "dimming_characteristic_curves" lurking in this module but this particular set determines how the clock illumination behaves with changing light levels in the cabin (or, more technically correct, how the photo-transistor output in the dashboard modulates the behavior of the background lighting).

Whilst I haven't personally found any written material to explain how these curves operate, my observation from changing different values suggests that the "Y" values reference different decreasing illumination levels of sunlight in the cabin (i.e. Y1=darkest - Y6 =brightest) and the settings determine how bright/dark the dashboard lighting will be at those ambient light levels (i.e. 00=no dashboard lighting - 64=full dashboard lighting).

The factory settings for this dimming curve in your admap are "standard"; they are the same as we have down here in the Antipodes - so noting special for Norway's conditions. And, the first two channels in your Admap (i.e Y1 and Y2) has a value 00. This means that the dashboard lights will extinguish around twilight - thereby providing a prompt to the driver to switch-on the headlights. This is probably a good safety feature to retain (at least for the setting for Y1), however it is possible to adjust the remaining Y values to generate numerous lighting curves. On my mk7 Golf, I have set Y2 - Y6 to 64 to provide max illumination - except at twilight.

to increase illumination of instrument cluster clocks- Instructions

1. Select 17 - Instrument control module
    2. Select Security Access - 16 from the "Open Controller" screen
    3. Enter the magic number 20103 and return to the "Open Controller" screen (note, I'm fairly certain that this SA is satisfactory for vehicles up to MY16 - so it should be OK for your MY14 S3). I suspect that beyond MY16, this tweak might be problematic because the SA is unknown (happy to be proven wrong)
    4. Select Adaptation - 10 from the "Open Controller" screen
    5. From the pull-down button change the settings for the adaptation channels shown in the table below (note: use the "search box" to invoke the correct channels)

I've included a couple of curve-settings below for reference, but these might not be relevant for Norway

And here is a 3D surface-scan of the spread of values in the 3 x curves in my table
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Akkipen: Good to read that you solved the instrument panel illumination issue - Just for reference, there;s perhaps another methodology to achieve a similar outcome and to tailor the lighting effect on the dashboard clocks to Norway's unique daylight conditions.

I note the following channels in your hex17 Admap:

Code:
    ENG105831-ENG99777-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y1,00 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG100480-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y2,00 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG100773-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y3,05 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG100631-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y4,14 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG102174-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y5,50 ,12
    ENG105831-ENG113993-dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_clock_dial_day-Y6,64 ,12
    There are a few of these "dimming_characteristic_curves" lurking in this module but this particular set determines how the clock illumination behaves with changing light levels in the cabin (or, more technically correct, how the photo-transistor output in the dashboard modulates the behavior of the background lighting).

Whilst I haven't personally found any written material to explain how these curves operate, my observation from changing different values suggests that the "Y" values reference different decreasing illumination levels of sunlight in the cabin (i.e. Y1=darkest - Y6 =brightest) and the settings determine how bright/dark the dashboard lighting will be at those ambient light levels (i.e. 00=no dashboard lighting - 64=full dashboard lighting).

The factory settings for this dimming curve in your admap are "standard"; they are the same as we have down here in the Antipodes - so noting special for Norway's conditions. And, the first two channels in your Admap (i.e Y1 and Y2) has a value 00. This means that the dashboard lights will extinguish around twilight - thereby providing a prompt to the driver to switch-on the headlights. This is probably a good safety feature to retain (at least for the setting for Y1), however it is possible to adjust the remaining Y values to generate numerous lighting curves. On my mk7 Golf, I have set Y2 - Y6 to 64 to provide max illumination - except at twilight.

to increase illumination of instrument cluster clocks- Instructions

1. Select 17 - Instrument control module
    2. Select Security Access - 16 from the "Open Controller" screen
    3. Enter the magic number 20103 and return to the "Open Controller" screen (note, I'm fairly certain that this SA is satisfactory for vehicles up to MY16 - so it should be OK for your MY14 S3). I suspect that beyond MY16, this tweak might be problematic because the SA is unknown (happy to be proven wrong)
    4. Select Adaptation - 10 from the "Open Controller" screen
    5. From the pull-down button change the settings for the adaptation channels shown in the table below (note: use the "search box" to invoke the correct channels)

I've included a couple of curve-settings below for reference, but these might not be relevant for Norway

And here is a 3D surface-scan of the spread of values in the 3 x curves in my table

Amazing, i cannot thank you enough for this, i have not seen this in-depth explanation of the curves anywhere except for this post, phenomenal!

I have adjusted the curves to address the problem with twilight and the way seasons change

Do you happen to know the adaptation to get the button illumination(steering wheel, center console) to light up with the switch 59 at zero?
    While having the dash light up made a huge improvement in the drive-ability, i would like for the rest to come on as well. Any thought?
    Cheers

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried, that buttons don't already light up when it's dark?

Since my car definitely does that too. I keep light switch at 0 all summer, and my dash illumination works fine and buttons light up whenever I drive to dark garage or tunnel. However, buttons are NOT lit when it's bright.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika_M View Post
    Have you tried, that buttons don't already light up when it's dark?

Since my car definitely does that too. I keep light switch at 0 all summer, and my dash illumination works fine and buttons light up whenever I drive to dark garage or tunnel. However, buttons are NOT lit when it's bright.
    Have not tried when it's dark, but i presume that works as intended
    We want the buttons to stay lit all the time, light or dark.

Long story short we want all the same lights in the interior on with the switch at zero as with it in high beam mode

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then the aforementioned „Tagfahrlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Standlicht“ adaption channel is the correct one for you.

7. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAx View Post
    Then the aforementioned „Tagfahrlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Standlicht“ adaption channel is the correct one for you.
    That one is "Active", that made the instrument come to life, but the interior buttons does not light up..

Edit: IDE04924-ENG115858 - Driving light and parking light-Kontrollleuchte fuer Begrenzunglicht set to intigriert in Suchbeluchtung

All works now!
    Last edited by Akkipen; 08-11-2018 at 04:48 PM.

9. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Akkipen View Post
    Amazing, i cannot thank you enough for this, i have not seen this in-depth explanation of the curves anywhere except for this post, phenomenal!

I have adjusted the curves to address the problem with twilight and the way seasons change
    Akkipen: well-done!! It always gives me pleasure when someone else gets as excited as me about the crazy unfathomable way that the MQB design boffins operate the lighting in their cars.

I will make a mental note that you are now a new devotee to this mysterious world.

Some time ago, I tried to make sense of this stuff in a short paper which you can download HERE.

In the intervening period since wrote the document, I have come to realize that some of my conclusions are incorrect and when I have time (inclination?) i will rectify my errors - but the paper might be useful in raising more questions in your mind that might lead to further revelations.

As a quid-pro-quo for the advice that you have received on this forum - you are now duty-bound to share any new findings with your forum colleagues (specifically - ME!)

I await with eager anticipation your road-to-Damascus epiphanies (beware - studying characteristic dimming curves can be dangerous and can often result in fundamental and existential catharsis of the mind!! )

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 08-11-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

11. Likes Uwe, Akkipen liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me and the owner is very pleased with the results, thank you to everyone who helped figure this out!

https://ibb.co/bMJFmU

13. Likes Uwe, DV52 liked this post