Windows Running in Virutal Machine

abrittis

Reaction score
I read that VCDS is not supported in VM environment. Being in the software businss, I understand the difference between NOT supporting something vs. actually getting it to work - albiet without support.

I am considering buying HEX V2, and I am wondering if people have success running the software from a Windows VM, or does it just not work with this setup?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Officially, as you're aware, not supported.

Unofficially and anecdotally, it usually works well for car diagnostics, but I'm given to understand firmware updates to the interface can run into trouble.

EmiliNickson

Reaction score
I guess it is better not to risk and don't try soft officially not supported.

abrittis

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Since this product uses the USB port, that could always be tricky when using a VM. I am running Oracle's VirtualBox on Mac OSX host with Windows 10. The only programs that I ever have issues with is when they need to communicate to the host's hardware. Even then - most work. The consensus seems to be that it will work - but not supported. Glad I don't have to buy another computer just to run the software. In the unlikely event that it doesn't work... well I guess I'll just have to buy a cheap Windows machine just for this software.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Thanks everyone. Since this product uses the USB port, that could always be tricky when using a VM. I am running Oracle's VirtualBox on Mac OSX host with Windows 10. The only programs that I ever have issues with is when they need to communicate to the host's hardware. Even then - most work. The consensus seems to be that it will work - but not supported. Glad I don't have to buy another computer just to run the software. In the unlikely event that it doesn't work... well I guess I'll just have to buy a cheap Windows machine just for this software.

Don't overthink. First try.

Reactions: Uwe
Back