Thread: Windows Running in Virutal Machine

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Windows Running in Virutal Machine

I read that VCDS is not supported in VM environment. Being in the software businss, I understand the difference between NOT supporting something vs. actually getting it to work - albiet without support.

I am considering buying HEX V2, and I am wondering if people have success running the software from a Windows VM, or does it just not work with this setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Officially, as you're aware, not supported.

Unofficially and anecdotally, it usually works well for car diagnostics, but I'm given to understand firmware updates to the interface can run into trouble.
    Silence gives consent.

3. Likes Santos, Boki Ar, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Please click here.

5. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it is better not to risk and don't try soft officially not supported.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. Since this product uses the USB port, that could always be tricky when using a VM. I am running Oracle's VirtualBox on Mac OSX host with Windows 10. The only programs that I ever have issues with is when they need to communicate to the host's hardware. Even then - most work. The consensus seems to be that it will work - but not supported. Glad I don't have to buy another computer just to run the software. In the unlikely event that it doesn't work... well I guess I'll just have to buy a cheap Windows machine just for this software.

8. Likes Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abrittis View Post
    Thanks everyone. Since this product uses the USB port, that could always be tricky when using a VM. I am running Oracle's VirtualBox on Mac OSX host with Windows 10. The only programs that I ever have issues with is when they need to communicate to the host's hardware. Even then - most work. The consensus seems to be that it will work - but not supported. Glad I don't have to buy another computer just to run the software. In the unlikely event that it doesn't work... well I guess I'll just have to buy a cheap Windows machine just for this software.
    Don't overthink. First try.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or install bootcamp.

12. Likes PetrolDave liked this post