2018 Audi A3 quattro - Can you enable ACC?

Mattias Ekström

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345241
guys I have no idea what I'm doing here, can someone please guide me on where I an turn ACC on?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
You can't. You have the hardware for it but you don't have the FeC codes in your car to enable it. And no way to get them officially.

Options are to get a hacked radar or try the route Chinese are offering which is some way to fake the FeC codes. Latter option is risky as VAG will have ways in some time to counter this.

Those are your options.

Reactions: Uwe

Mattias Ekström

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345241
What re FeC codes?

Mika_M

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=183725
I think it stands for Feature enablement Code, it's a code that is used to... well, enable features in your car. But it can only be done by dealer and only if the feature you want to enable, is available to purchase. Which in this case is not, since manufacturer has decided to not offer ACC for your car as retrofit. So they can not enable it for you.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Feature enable Code

VW also calls these as a SWaP, Software as a Product because some FeC codes are sellable as aftermarket products. For example, driver fatigue detection on some VAG brands, driver profile selection etc. ACC as it's a safety feature and people can really f*ck up the installation, is not sold as SWaP.

The beauty here is that the car might have all the required hardware for ACC, but you won't be able to enable it as you cannot obtain the FeC for it legally. So basically VAG would be able to make some more money by selling you the ACC as a SWaP and you would then be able to enable it through authorized service workshop.
But, what if there's an accident due to ACC not working properly? And it would be found out that the reason was some glitch in the system due the system not originally been sold as ACC but as only front-assist? Think about the massive lawsuit VAG would face.

Edit :

Sorry, Mika was faster :)

Last edited:

Mattias Ekström

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345241
So is there a way to do this or not? I don't care about the finalities. Has anyone done this?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Search this forum. There’s already at least two successful ACC retrofits in a very short time and the other one wrote an excellent guide what is needed and how to do it.

Mattias Ekström

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345241
Search this forum. There’s already at least two successful ACC retrofits in a very short time and the other one wrote an excellent guide what is needed and how to do it.

Thank you for your assistance. I used a myriad of search criteria including "adaptive, cruise, control, 8V, A3" and was unable to locate the specific thread. Do you have a link or additional search variables I can try?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Hhmm no. For the seventh time. You cannot just enable ACC even you have the front radar. You need to have a corresponding FeC enabled which is not possible. Your only option is to replace the radar unit with early MRR or LRR radar unit.
I'll find the thread for you.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
what car did you have? Sorry can’t keep up with all these ACC retrofits :)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
my car is Golf 7. does anybody know if I need to get the radar from a Golf 7 or would it be ok if coming from a wrecked Audi A3?
(I mean, could parameterization be different?)

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
No difference. Same radar fits both cars just fine.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
it's a beautiful day to work outside on the car and I have all the parts, except the stupid rubber seals for the connector. what a pity.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Use liquid sealant, you can get it from any hardware store. Not OEM but efficient and works just as well :)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I had already ordered the seals, hoped they would show up before the new year but nothing. I'll get on it in a few days, weather forecast still looks good.

wuplur

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=247333
I am still skeptical that you may be able to activate it and always wondered this when I saw the 1st one delivered to my dealer. All the US B9 A4’s come with the front camera for presense which is also used for lane assist and high beam assist which I was able to activate on my A4 & allroad without needing to install the switch so I think there’s still hope in your situation. I don’t think you’ll need the switch because some models can adjust the distance via the MMI also and the switch is not for activation so at the very least you may not be able to adjust distance.

Sorry, just noticed I posted this only after seeing the 1st page of the thread

Back