Active Info Display (AID) Retrofit Guide for Golf Alltrack

bbusato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=290995
I've successfully retrofitted an AID into my 2017 Golf Alltrack SEL. Since I couldn't find a thread with detailed information on any of the forums, I thought I'd create one myself to share what I learned. Figuring out how to correctly code the new cluster for my car was the hardest part for me. The rest wasn't that difficult to do. I really like the Alltrack and I'm very pleased with mine overall, but the flat cluster they come equipped standard here in NA, with its monochromatic MFD screen, looks so cheap and for me at least, it has always lessened my driving pleasure.

PARTS NEEDED

I sourced the parts below with the help of my local VW parts department using the VIN of a German-spec 2018 Golf Alltrack.

Active Information Display - 5G1 920 791
I got mine from e-acca.com for about $1450 when I ordered it in 06/2018.

AID Bezel - 5G0 857 189 B FQZ (Polar Night)

NOTE: if you have a 2017 Alltrack like I do, this will not match the rest of your existing Dark Magnesium interior trim. The new Polar Night finish is a noticeably darker metallic gray. I decided to wrap mine using Avery Gray Metallic vinyl. It's a very close but not perfect match, so I opted to have all of my trim pieces professionally wrapped, including the passenger side air vent and panel around headlight switch and dimmer. I'll post pictures here once I get them back and install them.

Fiber Optic Splitter Cable - from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18e1-Kabel...3713476927 43&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

NOTE: You only need the dark yellow splitter cable; the other harness is extra.

If you haven't done so, hook up VCDS and create a complete mapping for modules 17 and 5F for later reference. Begin by removing the interior trim piece with the air vents that goes around the touch screen. Start at the bottom and slowly work your way up. You'll have to remove the air vent on the driver side near the door first to be able to remove the trim that goes around the cluster. I found it easier to pull out the headlight switch then remove the single screw holding the trim that goes around the headlight and dimmer switches so I could push out the air vent with my hand. The cluster itself is held in place by 4 really hard to pull clips and 2 torx screws on the bottom. Lower the steering wheel column all the way down and gently pull the horizontal plastic trim piece at the bottom of the cluster out towards you. This video might be helpful:

Once all trim is carefully removed and you unscrew the 2 screws at the bottom of the cluster, pull the old cluster out if you can. This is really hard to do and you will need gloves to get a good grip. Next, you will need to remove your MIB2 head unit in the glove box, disconnect all wires in the back, remove your touch screen and run the splitter cable from the glove box to the opening behind where the cluster is located. I ran a piece of wire through the MIB2 opening slot then through an opening immediately to the top and guided it towards the air vent opening in the center of the dash. I did this late at night out on my driveway in the Phoenix summer heat, so I apologize for the bad pictures but there just wasn't enough light:

If you are not able or don't want to remove the old cluster yourself, then just run the fiber optic cable as close to the cluster as you can and your VW tech should be able to easily pull it through for you after he takes out the old cluster. Have your local VW dealership code the AID to your car and immobilizer using ODIS and be sure to take both your keys with you. Also make sure you reconnect module 5F (MIB2) to the car again before ODIS coding to avoid any issues with your coding. I accidentally left mine unplugged and had to run ODIS twice because of that. This is what your new digital cockpit will look like after coding with ODIS. It will be functional, but the graphical representation of the car will be a regular Golf, not Variant/SportWagen, and the display depiction will also be the one for the Golf Trendline:

Now here comes the fun part.. coding with VCDS! It's actually rather easy to do, it was trying to figure it all out on my own that was difficult and time consuming.

Go to Module 17, Coding, Long Coding Helper, Byte 2, Bit 3-6 and change it to 50 Model: Variant A (stock setting is 10 Model: Variant 2):

OPTIONAL: If you'd like needle sweep and lap timer, tick the boxes for Bit 0 and Bit 3 in Byte 1:

Go to Byte 12 and check the box for Bit 2 - Alternative Dimming Function active:

Now go to Adaptations and choose the channel Display depiction and change it from Version 1 to Version 2 (this will enable NAV in the AID screen; Version 1 doesn't support it. I couldn't figure out why my navigation map would not show up on the AID after everything was enabled and it was all because of this setting)

Then go to Tube_version and change the channel setting to variant_2 to get the AID speedo and tach versions specific to the Alltrack:

Open module 5F and open Long Coding Helper; go to Byte 22 and uncheck Bit 0 - Instrument Cluster Graphics [STANDARD]:

OPTIONAL: If you don't use the AM band on your radio and you'd like to be able to toggle between FM and Satellite only, tick the box for Bit 3 in Byte 14:

Go to Adaptations in Module 5F and change the following channels to the settings below:

Dashboard_Display_Configuration-ability_switch_nav_maps ---> On (enables the toggle switch on the touch screen)

Dashboard_Display_Configuration-call_picture ---> On

Dashboard_Display_Configuration-fastlist_most ---> On

Dashboard_Display_Configuration-navigation_map_compression_mode ---> H264

Dashboard_Display_Configuration-navigation_map_transmission_mode ---> MOST_streaming

That's it! Enjoy driving your Alltrack with its new, fully functional digital dash!

I still have to install the interior trim pieces once I get them back. I'll post more pictures when it's all finished.

Last edited:

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
can you zoom+/- map on cluster ?

When I select top arrow i have list of latest destinations
But I have 3Q0035043 DVD

as far as I know should be something like 5NA035xxx

bbusato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=290995
Funny you ask, I was wondering the same thing when I was driving home last night but I haven't had time to play with the settings that much yet. I wonder if adjusting the zoom on the MIB2 touch screen changes the zoom on the AID..

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
Funny you ask, I was wondering the same thing when I was driving home last night but I haven't had time to play with the settings that much yet. I wonder if adjusting the zoom on the MIB2 touch screen changes the zoom on the AID..

no, will not change
even I have google Earth on MIB , but basic map on cluster ;(

terris

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=328321
Thanks for the coding ! I have retrofit the aid to Tiguan and I have problem with maps . But now it’s working fine !
Thanks nice job !

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
First, congratulations on an excellent and interesting retrofit, and thank you for sharing the details.

It's interesting that you bring this up. I have two vehicles with that same digital cockpit display, and I've noticed some subtle differences, this being one. My 2018 Golf R will zoom in/out when using the steering wheel up/down buttons. My 2018 Atlas SEL Premium will bring up the home address / last destinations list instead. In almost all other respects, they behave identically.

I'd much rather have zoom in/out on the Atlas, but I'm not sure if it can be changed, or how. If you ever figure it out, I'd like to know. And if I can do anything to help test from my side, I'd be more than happy to.

Morski

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90186
Nice job ! :thumbs:

Blade3562

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=310127
I saw this on vortex, but never replied. I haven't done the swap on my '15 yet as I'd like to do an MIB2.5 swap at the same time. However my new Sportwagen is a '17 so of course I want to drop one in, probably an 891 A Variant.

Question for you, with installing the cluster who/how/when do you code the mileage and how did you get a dealer to perform the ODIS work? Not sure any local to me will. I could take it to smith but I'd probably have to drive their with my dash apart and install the cluster once I'm there

As for the zoom, what button variation and settings do your MFSW have, VW used a whole bunch of different configurations. Maybe changing a setting in VCDS will allow the zoom? On my Eos with an RCD330+ the star button could be configured for a few different options including Siri(CarPlay) or mute, but it was adjusted in the MFSW menu not infotainment/radio.

bbusato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=290995
The zoom knob on the right side of the MIB2 touch screen does change the zoom on the map inside of the AID, the same exact way you can zoom in and out of the navigation map displayed on the MIB2 screen. At least that is the case in my car. The dimming wheel next to the headlight switch also dims the AID when dimming the other interior lights.

@Blade3562 - Any VW dealership can code a compatible cluster via ODIS to your vehicle using a VAS6150 scan tool. Mileage is done at the time of coding and can only be altered if the cluster has less than 100km. I used a brand new cluster, so changing the mileage wasn't an issue in my case. It's the very same procedure to code an AID as it is to code an analog cluster (say the one your car came with stopped working and needed replaced). Coding with ODIS will not change any of the long coding bytes in module 17 though, so you'll have to figure out what the correct settings are for your specific Golf model and use VCDS to fix them accordingly. Make sure module 5F (MIB2 headunit) is plugged in and take all of your keys with you when you take your car in.

bbusato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=290995
Here are some updated pictures with the trim installed. My Alltrack is a 2017 so the interior trim is all in Dark Magnesium. The 2018s (facelifted MK7.5 models) have a new darker interior trim color called Polar Night, so my AID trim piece did not match at all. I had to vinyl wrap everything and it took what felt like forever (5 weeks to be exact) for the shop doing the wrap to give me back my pieces. I finally was able to put my car back together last night. I used Avery Gray vinyl for anyone out there with a '17 interested in doing this. It's a near perfect match to VW's Dark Magnesium. Although, I have to say if I had to do the vinyl wrap again, I would instead just replace all interior trim with the piano black of the Golf R and only vinyl wrap the small piece around the shift lever. I might still do that later on but here are some pictures of the final product:

bbusato

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=290995
I also had the passenger side air vent and headlight switch piece wrapped to match the rest of the interior trim (like in the R and GTI models) and I switched the storage bin lid from the "Alltrack" to the "4Motion" version.

I've always felt the Alltrack should have come with the 4Motion badge instead, as in the 4Motion SportWagen and Golf R models. It is, after all, what's powering the car.

@DRI@N

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317777
@bbusato

Hello

I have some questions about your AID RETROFIT .
1. The coding of DISCOVER PRO (5F) it was made of you personally with VCDS or only some of it ?
2. I have an Passat B8 2.0 BiTDI which I done same Retrofit but unfortunately for me my AID do not show the map .

My problem is related to the fact that at 5F at Byte 22 I have on :
Bit 0 byte_22_Dashboard_Graphic_Variant,0=MOST / 1=via CAN
Bit 1 byte _22_Dashboard_Text_Replacement,On
Bit 2 byte_22_bap_sds_sd,On
Bit 3 byte_22_bap_online_functions_secondary_display,On
Bit 4 byte_22_Touch_Screen_Remote,On
Bit 5 byte_22_Keypad_Rear Keys,Available
The Only Bit found enabled Bit 0

In ADAPTATION of 5F I found the channels of which you say :

Dashboard_Display_Configuration-ability_switch_nav_maps ---> On (enables the toggle switch on the touch screen)
Dashboard_Display_Configuration-call_picture ---> On
Dashboard_Display_Configuration-fastlist_most ---> On
Dashboard_Display_Configuration-navigation_map_compression_mode ---> H264
Dashboard_Display_Configuration-navigation_map_transmission_mode ---> MOST_streaming

but unfortunately for me and my car when I want to activate that channels I receive answer of VCDS "Functions NOT AVAILABLE" .

I give you bellow a part of VCDS scan which contains the modules 5F and 17 with request to look at them and if you can help me with some advice for activating the map display on AID .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels:| 5G0-920-XXX-17.clb-SRI3
Part No SW: 3G0 920 798 A HW: 3G0 920 798 A
Component: KOMBI F15 0460
Coding: 00F40019FFAC000801897E2B7003000000000000
Shop #: WSC 00046 123 12345
ASAM Dataset: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB 009041
ROD: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB_VW48.rod
VCID: 2E060675B0980C37D38-807A

No fault code found.

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 5G0-035-MIB-HGH2.clb
Part No SW: 3G0 035 044 HW: 3G0 035 044
Component: MU-H-TN-EU H33 0199
Serial number: A293G0EB001148
Coding: 02840101FF0F000071110002000808101F0100A4C120A20FDF
Shop #: WSC 12345 123 12345
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUHig4CGen2HBAS 001001
ROD: EV_MUHig4CGen2HBAS_VW37.rod
VCID: 5AEE9AA59C9030975F0-800E

Operating And Display Unit 1:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5G0 919 606 HW: 5G0 919 606
Component: ABT_High H61 0031
Serial number: VWZ8Z9PS100J72

Data medium:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: V03 959 800 QT HW: -----------
Component: ECE 2018/2019 --- 0169
Serial number: --------------------

Compact Disc Database:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: V03 959 800 EG HW: -----------
Component: Gracenote2 --- 1008
Serial number: --------------------

No fault code found.

Waiting Your Advice .
Best regards .

@DRI@N

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317777
Map view on Passat B8 2015 AID = Solved !

But I have the last two questions for you @bbusato :

1. Did you ever use ODIS, or just only VCDS for this retrofit ?
2. If you use only VCDS, how you solved COMPONENT PROTECTION & IMMO with VCDS ?

Last edited:

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607

always use both

Blade3562

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=310127
@Blade3562 - Any VW dealership can code a compatible cluster via ODIS to your vehicle using a VAS6150 scan tool. Mileage is done at the time of coding and can only be altered if the cluster has less than 100km. I used a brand new cluster, so changing the mileage wasn't an issue in my case. It's the very same procedure to code an AID as it is to code an analog cluster (say the one your car came with stopped working and needed replaced). Coding with ODIS will not change any of the long coding bytes in module 17 though, so you'll have to figure out what the correct settings are for your specific Golf model and use VCDS to fix them accordingly. Make sure module 5F (MIB2 headunit) is plugged in and take all of your keys with you when you take your car in.

This may be more for Uwe, but I notice the mileage always seems to be a couple off with a VCDS scan. I'm mainly concerned about getting a number wrong and "bricking" a new display. Lol. I finally have the funds for this, super excited to knock it out. Staying MIB1 for a bit then upgrading to 2.5 discover pro over winter. Then once I get the kinks worked out on my Golf I'll upgrade the wagon. I drove an r with the AID and that was the final nail in the coffin!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This may be more for Uwe, but I notice the mileage always seems to be a couple off with a VCDS scan.
The place VCDS fetches it from generally doesn't have the least significant digit of the mileage (which is actually in km).

-Uwe-

Nuje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120875
For the benefit of others who might encounter your problem, can you explain how you solved the issue?

Nuje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120875
Just as an FYI...

Contrary to bbusato's instructions in his initial post,
ENG122230-ENG142097-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-ability_switch_nav_maps needed to be set to OFF for NavMaps to work in my AID.

Is this because my car's a 2015? Because it's a retrofit MIB2? I don't know.

IWMTom

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313572
Just as an FYI...

Contrary to bbusato's instructions in his initial post,
ENG122230-ENG142097-Dashboard_Display_Configuration-ability_switch_nav_maps needed to be set to OFF for NavMaps to work in my AID.

Is this because my car's a 2015? Because it's a retrofit MIB2? I don't know.

That's because you have Discover Pro rather than Discover Media; Discover Pro can display the map on both the infotainment display and the AID at the same time.

eden

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=217860

Hello @DRI@N,

How you solved this problem I receive answer of VCDS "Functions NOT AVAILABLE" ? You change the MIB2 with PRO ? I have the same problem.....

tnx

Back