Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuffles

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227099
No problem. Van is under warranty and VW kind of caused most of this so I don't expect it to be costing me a thing.

Currently the aftermarket unit is in. It's this one http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/vw/ and it's standard fit in some VW vehicles in the UK. No idea outside the UK though. Which is why I think it was working perfectly well before VW de-coded everything.

I don't know why VW re-coded the Radio and Navigation when it was clear (and I made them aware) that the standard head unit had been replaced. Unless they just tap the VIN into a machine and the machine re-codes based on what it came out of the factory with.

Once I have the door locks sorted, then there's the reverse sensors, then I can roll up my sleeves and start on the tow bar - all caused by my own stupidity with the air bag sensor. So I'm feeling a bit down :( - first World problems eh.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I don't know why VW re-coded the Radio and Navigation when it was clear (and I made them aware) that the standard head unit had been replaced. Unless they just tap the VIN into a machine and the machine re-codes based on what it came out of the factory with.
This is, in fact, almost exactly what happens. When you get this stuff working, you'll want to save an Auto-Scan from your vehicle. It can be compared with a fresh scan to discover any change the dealer might make. Should your van go in for warranty service later, you may need it to help roll back any of those changes that interfere with your retrofits.

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

Wuffles

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227099
Followed Wolfgang's instructions (thanks for that) - problem being I'm new and what seems intuitive to someone who's done these things before doesn't always come across as obvious - but I got there. Yes there was an option for "activate comfort setting" or words to that effect. I ticked it, exited the program, rebooted the van and thought right, so what exactly have I enabled?!

Thought to then go back into the long coding helper where different options now showed (I think) and one of them was showing as ticked (these weren't there before I hasten to add) auto lock doors, noticed there was also an option for auto unlock doors, so ticked that - as yet it's untested as I've not been out to try it. Just seems weird to not use the drop downs in the software to make the changes when it clearly worked originally when I set the auto lock. Still, that might be that problem solved anyway.

cOKhLsv.png

So then I had a poke about in the Park Assist module now I know that the long coding thing exists (and kind of what it's capable of) and found myself unable to make a change due to security permissions (I found this out when it just wouldn't accept the coding, then remembered what was said earlier about logging in requirements).

LZ8juRA.png

Went back to the access control button, pressed it, hovered over the pin thinking OMG, what do I do, guess? Then the hover gave me the pin code, entered it, went back into the module and hey presto I was able to make the change.

Now the change (again untested as yet) was for...

rmrMaDe.png

The elusive Optical Illustration Active!

So it would be nice if it all started working now that's ticked - I doubt it of course, but you never know. At least it's a step along the path of figuring it out. I suspect I'll have to switch the head unit back out an try it again, and I can't face that hassle today.

I'll let you know when I go out next and see if it made any difference.

Wuffles

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227099
And I'm back. Sorry, been using the Wife's car for a day or two.

Stuck it into reverse today, not expecting it to work, and it did. So that's a problem sorted. It also interrupted the sound to let me hear the feeble beeps.

Had me doubting my own mind for a while there - what if I had only ever imagined optical parking sensors?! Here's a photo.

meSEccv.jpg

Wuffles

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227099
Any idea how you stop the seatbelt warning sound before I embark on getting the tow bar working again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back