VCDS Easter Egg found?

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Hi all,

from time to time I encounter a little text box when connecting to a unit.
It is not there by standard and I cannot tell when it appears or not.

It's in the bottom right and called "VAG-1551 Function". I know that VAG-1551 is this archaic diagnosis Enigma machine...what does it have to do with a MIB2 unit, and what cheat codes can be entered here? :D

2018-07-1918_42_10-vcandjk.jpg

Happy East......monday

Last edited:

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
I get something similar sometimes when entering a security code I believe. Bottom right shows 'Option' with a box next to it.

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
I get something similar sometimes when entering a security code I believe. Bottom right shows 'Option' with a box next to it.

I know what you mean. I've also seen this several times but never managed to make a screenshot of it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's in the bottom right and called "VAG-1551 Function". I know that VAG-1551 is this archaic diagnosis Enigma machine...what does it have to do with a MIB2 unit, and what cheat codes can be entered here? :D
That's a hold-over from simpler times, when some of our customers had the VAG-1551/1552 codes very deeply embedded in their brains and wanted to be able to use the same keyboard commands. So for example from the Select Control Module screen, you can type an address (like 01) followed by Q and VCDS will open that module. Then on the module screen, you can type a function number (like 02) followed by Q and VCDS will read the fault codes.

I think a few people like Jack are still using this method to operate VCDS. :D

-Uwe-

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Understood.

But it seems to be kind of mysterious when these input fields appear.
Because they are not there by standard

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Understood.

But it seems to be kind of mysterious when these input fields appear.
Because they are not there by standard
They only appear when you type something that is the start of a valid command in the context of the screen you're on. At that point, we thought it was necessary to show what had been typed so far.

-Uwe-

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Got it.
Due to earliest happenings in a neighbour thread, I extensively use keyboard shortcuts to navigate trough VCDS...

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
So for example from the Select Control Module screen, you can type an address (like 01) followed by Q and VCDS will open that module. Then on the module screen, you can type a function number (like 02) followed by Q and VCDS will read the fault codes.

Hi Uwe, is there any overview of available hotkeys or key combinations in VCDS. I wish I knew earlier about the „nn-Q“ shortcut...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi Uwe, is there any overview of available hotkeys or key combinations in VCDS. I wish I knew earlier about the „nn-Q“ shortcut...
No, I don't think we have such documentation. Again, it was meant for those who had the the old VAG-1551/1552 keystrokes permanently burned into their wet-ware neural networks. :)

But it's not really hard to figure out. Type the numbers on a button, then 'Q' for 'Quittieren'

-Uwe-

Back