Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi side assist canbus connection

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myounus View Post
    The problem sounds like the wires are plugged the wrong way around in the mirror. Turn them around and see if the error goes away.
    That is quite possible since I had to cut off the connecting plug/socket on the lights and loom as they didn't match and replaced them with bullet connectors.
    I'm away now for a few days but will try swapping the wires over when I get back.
    Did you get the Golf system calibrated at a dealer after it was fitted? Is it an expensive job?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Russ

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I didn't need to - it worked straight off. I used the original connectors but it was a pain connecting the wires to the mirrors. It was a full dismantle of each mirror to get the wires through.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Russ

Have you coded and enabled the Side Assist LEDS on the door controllers that you connected them too?

You shouldn't need calibration but its always good to get it done at some point if your car is in at the dealer.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RussJ View Post
    I had to cut off the connecting plug/socket on the lights and loom as they didn't match and replaced them with bullet connectors.
    Current:
    2018 Tiguan AD Highline 2.0 BiTDI 240hp > Stage 1+ 328hp
    2016 Polo 6C Highline 1.0 TSI 105hp

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhud View Post
    Russ

Have you coded and enabled the Side Assist LEDS on the door controllers that you connected them too?

You shouldn't need calibration but its always good to get it done at some point if your car is in at the dealer.
    I'm not sure why I might need to code/enable the door controllers. The only connection that is made by the LEDs is back to the radar modules and thats where the coding was done.
    I'll see how well they work and then decide if I need calibration. My local dealer is reluctant to perform the wok on a retrofit.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTommy View Post
    Again, not sure why the face palm?
    There was a mismatch between the loom connectors and the LED connectors so I had to find an alternative. Unfortunately the wiring colours didn't correspond to the official diagrams. I tested the LEDs by supplying 12v to one terminal and then dropping the other to earth which made the lights come on. I know (some?) LEDs are polarity sensitive so assumed I'd got it right...
    Is there a better way?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RussJ View Post
    I'm not sure why I might need to code/enable the door controllers. The only connection that is made by the LEDs is back to the radar modules and thats where the coding was done.
    I'll see how well they work and then decide if I need calibration. My local dealer is reluctant to perform the wok on a retrofit.
    Unless I'm mistaken and I apologise in advance but usually all door connections travel through the door control module. This sometimes requires replacement to one that supports side assist, however I've not seen your kit so cannot comment on it. It might have a direct loom and wired separately. Do check though..

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Side assist doesn't connect through the door module. It has its own loom directly back to the car
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morski View Post
    Side assist doesn't connect through the door module. It has its own loom directly back to the car
    Fair enough, I know they go into the door modules on the Q7 4M so just assumed the same. Thanks for the clarity
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dynamic Pack | Matrix Lights | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | N-Vision | BOSE | DVD Changer | Homelink | Soft Door Close | Heat+Sound Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heated Windscreen | Heated Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Side Assist | Air Suspension | Ambient Lighting | Heated+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Home again now and back working on the SQ5...
    First thing I tried was to determine if the LEDs in the warning lights were polarity sensitive - they are.
    Next was to see if I'd connected them correctly - I had.
    Fired up VCDS and still getting the "short to Positive/open circuit" fault code.
    I then checked the LEDs again and realised that the near side one was only lighting two of the four LEDs in the cluster.
    I'm wondering whether this is causing the open circuit error? When I disconnect the faulty light, VCDS only reports one open circuit fault, ie the "good" light doesn't seem to be generating a fault code, so it seems likely.
    I can't get access to the LED cells to investigate further so will have to wait until Monday and speak to the Audi dealer about a replacement - very frustrating!
    Russ