Considering purchase

invernesspl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345478
Hi,
I'm considering buying the 10 x Vin version, I've not used any Ross Tech system before, is it fairly straight forward to understand? I repair a few crash damaged VW/Audi as a sideline, only a handful a year and so I need it for resetting warnings / airbags & diagnosing etc.

Quite often I only get one key with a vehicle, so can this programme a second key to the car including newer mk7 Golfs & Audi Q3's?

Finally, will this work on my 2007 VW T5 van?

Many thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

invernesspl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345478
Nope. Cannot program keys on cars that new.

-Uwe-

Hi.
One of the main reasons I would use the Ross tech software would be for programming a spare key to vehicles, generally VW & Audi from 2010 onwards. Why can it not programme new keys, and what is needed to be able to programme a new key?

Many thanks.

_Val

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356659
You need another tool to get immo pin code before vcds can use it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
One of the main reasons I would use the Ross tech software would be for programming a spare key to vehicles, generally VW & Audi from 2010 onwards. Why can it not programme new keys, and what is needed to be able to programme a new key?
Because a static PIN code is not sufficient on those cars. The way this works now is the immobilizer generates a 32-bit challenge code that changes with every ignition cycle. In order to program keys, the scan tool must calculate the corresponding/matching response. Unfortunately, even the dealers' cannot do that themselves; instead they connect to VW/Audi's corporate server, which calculates the response from the challenge, and that makes it rather difficult to reverse engineer.

-Uwe-

invernesspl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345478
Because a static PIN code is not sufficient on those cars. The way this works now is the immobilizer generates a 32-bit challenge code that changes with every ignition cycle. In order to program keys, the scan tool must calculate the corresponding/matching response. Unfortunately, even the dealers' cannot do that themselves; instead they connect to VW/Audi's corporate server, which calculates the response from the challenge, and that makes it rather difficult to reverse engineer.

-Uwe-

Hi, and thanks for the reply!
So how are the manufacturers able to do this? Isn't that a grey area that only they can carry out this procedure?

Also, how do we know what vehicles / age of vehicles can be programmed by the ross tech software without needing the dealer code?

Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi, and thanks for the reply!
So how are the manufacturers able to do this? Isn't that a grey area that only they can carry out this procedure?
In those markets that have regulatory requirements that allow independent workshops to do this kind of work (like the EU and the US), there are mechanisms in place to get independent workshops access to their scan tool software and their server. It's not cheap or easy, but it meets the regulatory requirements. I don't know exactly what's involved in the EU, but in the US, a shop needs to start by getting certified as a Vehicle Security Professional. See here.

Also, how do we know what vehicles / age of vehicles can be programmed by the ross tech software without needing the dealer code?
If you have a means of obtaining PIN codes, VCDS can do it with vehicles that use Immo generations 4a and older. These can generally be identified by the fact that they have Immobilzer IDs (or serial numbers) starting with VWZ or AUZ (a 'Z' in the 3rd digit). Those that use the challenge/response instead of a fixed PIN will have an 'X' in the 3rd digit. There's no hard-and-fast rule for a model year where this change was implemented. The high-value cars came first, and the run-of-the-mill Golf class cars got it around 2007.

See also:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer

-Uwe-

invernesspl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345478
Thanks for the info. Wow they certainly have made things difficult on the newer cars! i'll give my local VW dealer a call and see what extortionate prices they want to duplicate a key!

so, with the older cars that can be done using Ross tech, do you have to register the VIN on each car? (does it count towards your 10 Vins)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
so, with the older cars that can be done using Ross tech, do you have to register the VIN on each car? (does it count towards your 10 Vins)
Yes, if buy have an interface with a 10-VIN license, each car you match a key on would cost you a VIN. The exception would be cars that are so old they don't know their own VIN. See also our VIN-Limited Interface FAQ.

Of course we do have interfaces that have no VIN Limit, and if if you buy a VIN-Limited one, you can upgrade the license after the fact..

-Uwe-

invernesspl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345478
Does the software use up another Vin allocation if you are just resetting a service schedule, or if you are resetting any warning lights?

Thanks.

Back