DPF Regeneration failure on 2012 VW Touareg TDI

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Hi Marin, you had done an ECU reprogram for me a few months back (thanks!)

So you are saying that it's most likely the DPF? I can get a hold of a used DPF for $400-$500 and from what I see changing it on the Touareg does not require a lot of labor if you have a few swivel wrenches. Going in to get measurements on that damn sensor is a pain because it's so tight and hot in there next to the firewall so I'm considering biting the bullet and changing the DPF because I am afraid that this will fix the whole thing since i'm pretty confident that I did the sensor replacement correctly.

You do not need to replace it , you can clean it .
Jack has very good susses with Easy off oven cleaner, Aks Jack which one is good.
After that with VCDS you can tell ECU that DPF is replaced and you should be good to go.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Code:
14:26:01
  IDE00434   Particle filter: soot mass calculated 29.05 g
  IDE00435   Particle filter: soot mass measured 1.92 g
  IDE00436   Particle filter: kilometers since last regeneration 1251116 m
  IDE01407   Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration 102.13 l

1251 km since last regeneration, but measured soot is only 1.92 g. And yes, the last 750 miles (actually more like the last 1300 miles) were almost all highway driving, 75-80 mph. But drive with a bad sensor in the city for some time, where the DPF does not get hot enough to keep itself clean, and I think the results will be quite different.

-Uwe-
How many miles on your car?
You Ash level is very low , so I assume it is low miles car

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How many miles on your car?
You Ash level is very low , so I assume it is low miles car
Yes, just under 42,000 miles.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
0006233881397_A

amizan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340128

thanks guys. I am a newbie. Don't I have to cut the DPF open to clean it? I saw some instructions online that I have to cut it open and then re-weld it... Am I wrong?

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Yes, just under 42,000 miles.

-Uwe-

That explains everything , plus I am 100% sure you use 504/507 oil all the time.
Now this is how it goes:

-IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated 29.05 g-----calculate soot since last time regeneration
-IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured 1.92 g-----total soot in DPF

At 42k it is very normal to have total soot around 2g using proper oil .

I have seen this number jumps to 50g in 10000 miles if you use high ash oil , so on those cars low ash oil mean a lot . Plus HWY driving and city driving will make big difference .

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
thanks guys. I am a newbie. Don't I have to cut the DPF open to clean it? I saw some instructions online that I have to cut it open and then re-weld it... Am I wrong?

No you do not ,
Remove DPF ,
spray Easy off on top of the inlet pipe at DPF , make sure DPF in standing up side , after some time (15-20 min) good flow of water from Top side of DPF will clean everything ,do this few times till you see almost clear water out ,
After that need air compressor to blow as much you can water out , let it dry on Sun for few Hr and it should be good.

JACK correct me if I am missing something :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I am 100% sure you use 504/507 oil all the time.
Yes, and I don't think it has ever been more than 7,500 miles between changes. Since this vehicle has become essentially irreplaceable, I intend to keep it for a long time.

Now this is how it goes:

-IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated 29.05 g-----calculate soot since last time regeneration
-IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured 1.92 g-----total soot in DPF

At 42k it is very normal to have total soot around 2g using proper oil.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I would expect the measured soot mass to rise between regeneration, and then to fall again after a regeneration. Is this incorrect?

-Uwe-

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Yes, and I don't think it has ever been more than 7,500 miles between changes. Since this vehicle has become essentially irreplaceable, I intend to keep it for a long time.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I would expect the measured soot mass to rise between regeneration, and then to fall again after a regeneration. Is this incorrect?

-Uwe-

You will see how time goes getting more miles ,if you watch while doing regeneration soot mass calculated will go very low , sometimes to 0, but soot mass measured will stay higher and higher as well ash value.

amizan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340128
No you do not ,
Remove DPF ,
spray Easy off on top of the inlet pipe at DPF , make sure DPF in standing up side , after some time (15-20 min) good flow of water from Top side of DPF will clean everything ,do this few times till you see almost clear water out ,
After that need air compressor to blow as much you can water out , let it dry on Sun for few Hr and it should be good.

JACK correct me if I am missing something :D

Thanks guys that's a lot of help. One more question, I put the car on jack stands to look underneath where the DPF is at the 2012 Touareg. it looks like I can unlodge it with a few swivel flexible wrenches but I do not have a lift unfortunately that would have made life a lot easier. how big of a job is it? I have a few bolts that are rusted It seems and I might have to cut them off and also one of the frame support bars is In the way. do you recall if I have to remove the support bar and is this job doable on jackstands? or am I better off going to a place that rents lift bays?

amizan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340128
update: I put the car on jackstands and all six bolts that are holding on to the DPF are fully rusted. I will need a Dremel to take them out it looks like. I will keep you updated on project....

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561

Jack, can you please confirm the right way to clean the filter?

- Remove it from the car.
- Apply Easy-off from the inlet pipe
- Let it soak for one hour, or so.
- Use pressurized water from the outlet pipe. Use caution not to break the ceramic.
- Use compressed air, again from the outlet pipe.
- Let it dry on the sun.

Jack, Can you also please confirm that the following should be avoided:

Avoid using pressurized water and compressed air in the inlet to prevent the ashes from sticking in the porous ceramic.

Last edited:

amizan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340128
Jack, can you please confirm the right way to clean the filter?

- Remove it from the car.
- Apply Easy-off from the inlet pipe
- Let it soak for one hour, or so.
- Use pressurized water from the outlet pipe. Use caution not to break the ceramic.
- Use compressed air, again from the outlet pipe.
- Let it dry on the sun.

Jack, Can you also please confirm that the following should be avoided:

Avoid using pressurized water and compressed air in the inlet to prevent the ashes from sticking in the porous ceramic.

Hi guys,

After struggling for two days with the rusted bolts, I was able to take off 4 out of the 6. I had to either crack them with the wrench and one of them I had to cut with the Dremel). The remaining two in the back of the inlet pipe I could not get into with either swivel wrenches or anything else without lowering the crossbar holding the tranny so I took it to the shop next door who removed it for me in about an hour. Now I got the DPF out.
Jack, can you confirm this is the correct procedure with the Easy-Off? I have two bottles I picked up and i'm ready to do the cleaning but waiting on final advice on how?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Don't you think the DPF should be removed from vehicle as per RTFB and then taken to an area or facility that can reclaim the water and chemicals with re-mediated materials for proper disposal during wash and rinse process?

Don't you think you should use with proper safety methods & concern for eye protection, gloves & when working with any distillate or hazardous materials?

amizan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340128
Don't you think the DPF should be removed from vehicle as per RTFB and then taken to an area or facility that can reclaim the water and chemicals with re-mediated materials for proper disposal during wash and rinse process?

Don't you think you should use with proper safety methods & concern for eye protection, gloves & when working with any distillate or hazardous materials?

I have no idea. Never done this before. I was going to buy a used DPF to replace but people suggested here that it can be cleaned and that you know how...

amizan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340128
Update on status:

I had the DPF replaced. it was a pain - had to break off the six bolts that hold it in place because they were massively corroded and were stuck. The problem is that the bolts are part of the DPF (they are welded on) so If I wanted to clean it off, I would also have to drill out the bolts and replace them with new ones... I found a used DPF with 10K miles on it and bought it for $300 in a junk yard and installed it. I also blew compressed air through the sensor lines to make sure they are free of debris. For those that attempt that, you will need to lower the crossbar but don't have to remove it.

Now, the car starts again but I still get the CEL and the DPF light on the cockpit. Any guidance on using VCDS on how to tell the car that a new DPF has been installed?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think it should be:

Basic Setting
IDE00467 -- Resetting of learned values of particle filter

-Uwe-

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
I think it should be:

Basic Setting
IDE00467 -- Resetting of learned values of particle filter

-Uwe-
Also need to go in Adaptation and find something like " Reset after Replace DPF". To reset ASH level.

Reactions: Uwe
Back