Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DPF Regeneration failure on 2012 VW Touareg TDI

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    do you think that the excessive "soot mass measured" can be resulting in the large measurement at the sensor, in other words, a completely clogged DPF causing the difference in pressure at the sensor or is that logic wrong?

at this point, would you be changing the DPF or changing the sensor and inspecting the lines AGAIN?

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, here are a few things to check

1) I assume the pressure sensor is a 3 wire sensor, it will be a 0-5v sensor, you will have a 5v wire, a ground and your signal wire, find your signal wire and back probe it with your volt meter with ignition on, some systems are different, but most of the vag group I have tested are either .5v or 1v with ignition on, next start the car, you should not see more than a .1v rise in voltage at idle and you should not see more the 1.3v maximum fully revved, ideally closer to 1v ,if you do you probably have a blockage or a defective pipe from sensor to exhaust.

2) Connect a mityvac to one of your 2 ports,wheather you use vacuum or pressure depends on what port your on, either will do,watch your live data and your voltage, create a vacuum or pressure, you should see your voltage rise and your live data figure rise also, about 4.5v will be full vacuum.

3) You could remove an upstream O2 sensor and use a mechanical gauge to measure pressure, there should be no visual pressure rise on a Diesel engine at idle

4) You could disconnect your pressure sensor and temporarily wire up a 5k variable potentiometer and see that figures on your live data respond, verifying your wiring, or if you don't have potentiometer find out if the signal wire is a pull up type or a pull down, and use a test light to pull the signal down or up depending on the system and watch for a change on your live data

5) If your DPF is indeed blocked, you will need to find out why it has become blocked, there are chemicals I've had good luck with that can be poured directly into the dpf that can somewhat clean the system, not 100% successful but worth a go if all else fails, might get it clean enough to force a regen

These are just a few things to check, anytime I have dpf blockage, the first thing I do is go straight to the sensor to take a raw voltage measurement at the signal wire with ignition on, at idle and fully revved
    Last edited by MMC; 07-13-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amizan View Post
    do you think that the excessive "soot mass measured" can be resulting in the large measurement at the sensor, in other words, a completely clogged DPF causing the difference in pressure at the sensor or is that logic wrong?

at this point, would you be changing the DPF or changing the sensor and inspecting the lines AGAIN?
    I've never seen what kind of pressure values a seriously clogged DPF will produce, sorry.

But since your calculated soot mass is only 36g, I'm skeptical that it's really that badly clogged. Also, a new DPF is expensive. Then again, this vehicle looks to have nearly 200,000 miles on it, and if the DPF is the original one, it's probably well past its prime.

Inspecting the lines properly would consist of two steps: Verifying that they flow, and verifying that they are free of leaks. Either a clog or a leak in one of the lines could cause a big difference in the pressures. I'm not sure what the official strategy for testing them is though. If it were me, I might let the engine idle with the sensor disconnected from the plumbing and check that I had some flow from both; then try blocking them one at a time to see how much force it takes to stop the flow from each of them?

As for the sensor, itself, it should be fairly easy to test. Get some tubing that fits and a T or Y connector for that tubing. Leave the sensor connected electrically and use the tubing and your mouth to pressurize both sides equally while monitoring IDE00427. With equal pressure on both sides, you should not see much change in IDE00427. You can also pressurize just one side at a time and verify that it does change.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    UWE his DFP Soot measured is 149.30 gr, I think his DPF is overfull .

DFP Soot calculated 34.32 gr
    DFP Soot measured 149.30 gr
    Master Technician for German cars
    Immobilizer/ECU
    /Cluster Programing (Used or NEW) and Key Programing
    Mk6 COLOR cluster in Mk5 -CLIK

email : marinmm2001@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetta ,97 View Post
    UWE his DFP Soot measured is 149.30 gr, I think his DPF is overfull .

DFP Soot calculated 34.32 gr
    DFP Soot measured 149.30 gr
    Yeah, but the measured value is based on pressure readings from the sensor, right? So if the sensor is is producing unrealistically high difference readings, then the measured value could also be unrealistically high, no?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Yeah, but the measured value is based on pressure readings from the sensor, right? So if the sensor is is producing unrealistically high difference readings, then the measured value could also be unrealistically high, no?

-Uwe-
    Form my experience measured is total life of soot in DPF, but I maybe wrong. 200k on This car is lot of miles and I would suspect DPF is clogged .
    Every time I see this over 45g I could not do regeneration even if I have all sensors OK, not faulty codes for sensors and etc.
    I had customer who has bad sensor , getting CEL for it, he drove over 1 year like that , but DPF did not give him problems.
    Master Technician for German cars
    Immobilizer/ECU
    /Cluster Programing (Used or NEW) and Key Programing
    Mk6 COLOR cluster in Mk5 -CLIK

email : marinmm2001@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Form my experience measured is total life of soot in DPF, but I maybe wrong. 200k on This car is lot of miles and I would suspect DPF is clogged .
    I agree, it is a lot of miles, and we certainly can't rule that out, but I would hate to have him spend the money to replace his DPF only to find out afterward that the problem is actually with the sensor or with the tubing between the sensor and the exhaust.

I had customer who has bad sensor , getting CEL for it, he drove over 1 year like that , but DPF did not give him problems.
    I think much depends on how the car is driven. I think with a fault like that, the ECU won't perform any active regeneration, but if the car is driven mostly for long distances at a good speed on the highway, passive regeneration will keep the DPF clean anyway. Look at mine:

Code:
    14:26:01
      IDE00434   Particle filter: soot mass calculated 29.05 g
      IDE00435   Particle filter: soot mass measured 1.92 g
      IDE00436   Particle filter: kilometers since last regeneration 1251116 m
      IDE01407   Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration 102.13 l
    1251 km since last regeneration, but measured soot is only 1.92 g. And yes, the last 750 miles (actually more like the last 1300 miles) were almost all highway driving, 75-80 mph. But drive with a bad sensor in the city for some time, where the DPF does not get hot enough to keep itself clean, and I think the results will be quite different.

-Uwe-

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be wise for OP to do a manual cleaning of everything after trying a chemical clean.
    The PSI sensors and the lines often are contaminated and supply false data to controller.
    A PSI/Vacuum gauge can be used to determine a plugged DPF the same way a CAT is physically tested for flow characteristics.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

9. Likes Uwe, Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every time I see this over 45g I could not do regeneration even if I have all sensors OK, not faulty codes for sensors and etc.

Hi Marin, you had done an ECU reprogram for me a few months back (thanks!)

So you are saying that it's most likely the DPF? I can get a hold of a used DPF for $400-$500 and from what I see changing it on the Touareg does not require a lot of labor if you have a few swivel wrenches. Going in to get measurements on that damn sensor is a pain because it's so tight and hot in there next to the firewall so I'm considering biting the bullet and changing the DPF because I am afraid that this will fix the whole thing since i'm pretty confident that I did the sensor replacement correctly.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude.......... save money and clean the DPF and re-mediate soot manually, they will be as good as new usually if not cracked.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........