Not open for further replies.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
The eytmology certainly applies. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Uwe
I talked with Uwe over the phone a couple months ago about some wireless stuff. When I dialed the phone I was thinking about tech stuff, but when he answered I belatedly realized I'd have to say his name as part of, you know, typical telephone greeting protocols. I threw something at the wall, and he didn't hang up on me, in fact I think I got a "close enough". I'm not sure if I was actually close or if he was just being nice. :o

Uwe, maybe you should have a Youtube video introducing yourself, like Linus Torvalds and Linux? For those Americans like myself for whom the world stops at the USA border. Still not sure exactly where German cars come from. :p

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Mexico, South Carolina, and Tennessee. ;)
Of the VWs I currently own, the older one rolled off the line in Mosel, the newer one in Dresden, both of them in the mythical land of Germany.

What is VW doing in South Carolina?

Jason

Last edited:

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
What is VW doing in South Carolina?

Not paying exorbitant tax rates or getting strong armed by the employees - same reason many major companies are moving here.
Plus they don't have the added cost of shipping overseas and they strengthen the local economy through diversification of plants.

But I digress....

Edit: Wait... I don't digress since Uwe split this off topic section into the bar :p

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I threw something at the wall, and he didn't hang up on me, in fact I think I got a "close enough". I'm not sure if I was actually close or if he was just being nice.
Nah, there's only one mispronunciation that actually annoys me, and there's only one misspelling that gets under my skin.

Uwe, maybe you should have a Youtube video introducing yourself
Uh -- no. I don't think so. :p

For those Americans like myself for whom the world stops at the USA border. Still not sure exactly where German cars come from.
As others have noted, they come from various places. But they're all designed by a company based in a country where driving is something that's still taken relatively seriously. :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Edit: Wait... I don't digress since Uwe split this off topic section into the bar :p
Yep, I'd like to keep the threads in the serious sections of the forum more-or-less on topic, yet I fully understand that we sometimes digress. Heck, I do it often enough myself, and one could say that I directly caused this particular one. Anyway, when I see that happening, I'll try to fix it like I did here.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
when I see that happening, I'll try to fix it like I did here.

:cool:

Been dying to comment on that thread but didn't want to de-rail it, but just.coulnd't.help.myself. on the SC part :D

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Not paying exorbitant tax rates or getting strong armed by the employees - same reason many major companies are moving here.
Uh, didn't VW just get rather pissed off at the state government of Tennessee for interfering with the UAW vote? The one they asked for and invited?

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Nah, there's only one mispronunciation that actually annoys me, and there's only one misspelling that gets under my skin.
I'll take that as "I mangled it, but I didn't call you a female sheep, so we're good."

Uh -- no. I don't think so. :p
And that you prefer to remain an engima, or at least, you like to keep using your name as a password to filter telemarketing calls. :)

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I'll take that as "I mangled it, but I didn't call you a female sheep, so we're good."

Don't feel bad - I mis-pronounced it face to face :rolleyes:
I knew I had it right, but for some reason changed my pronunciation at the last second.

His wife was gracious enough to say it in conversation, likely to politely correct me...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nice catch. Mosel Germany. Mosul is in Iraq. :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Do you guys remember the war coverage in Iraq in 2003 and how popular VW seemed to be there, particularly really old B1/B2 Passats?

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
And Slovakia.

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
U.S. spec German cars are made in Hungary and Slovakia?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
TTs are built in Hungary.
Touaregs are built in Slovakia.

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Ah, wasn't aware of that. I limit my purchases to vehicles built in Germany, Sweden, and Japan. Though I DID make the mistake of buying a German car built in these United States once - never again!

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330

...and both involve a female wooly mammal.

I'd play it safe. If I had to call, I would address you as Mr. Ross. You see, even if we went for "Mr. U. Ross" - phonetically that's exactly what we're trying to avoid. "Did I say Ewe? Sorry I meant U." [drags foot sideways towards door, whistling]

A perfect Catch22. :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back