Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chit-Chat

Post Thanks / Like

Chit-Chat

Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    The eytmology certainly applies. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Uwe
    I talked with Uwe over the phone a couple months ago about some wireless stuff. When I dialed the phone I was thinking about tech stuff, but when he answered I belatedly realized I'd have to say his name as part of, you know, typical telephone greeting protocols. I threw something at the wall, and he didn't hang up on me, in fact I think I got a "close enough". I'm not sure if I was actually close or if he was just being nice.

Uwe, maybe you should have a Youtube video introducing yourself, like Linus Torvalds and Linux? For those Americans like myself for whom the world stops at the USA border. Still not sure exactly where German cars come from.

Jason

2. Likes jakematic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    Still not sure exactly where German cars come from.

Jason
    Mexico, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

4. Likes jakematic, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    Mexico, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
    Of the VWs I currently own, the older one rolled off the line in Mosel, the newer one in Dresden, both of them in the mythical land of Germany.

What is VW doing in South Carolina?

Jason
    Last edited by jyoung8607; 10-13-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Mosel, not Mosul

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is VW doing in South Carolina?
    Not paying exorbitant tax rates or getting strong armed by the employees - same reason many major companies are moving here.
    Plus they don't have the added cost of shipping overseas and they strengthen the local economy through diversification of plants.

But I digress....

Edit: Wait... I don't digress since Uwe split this off topic section into the bar

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I threw something at the wall, and he didn't hang up on me, in fact I think I got a "close enough". I'm not sure if I was actually close or if he was just being nice.
    Nah, there's only one mispronunciation that actually annoys me, and there's only one misspelling that gets under my skin.

Uwe, maybe you should have a Youtube video introducing yourself
    Uh -- no. I don't think so.

For those Americans like myself for whom the world stops at the USA border. Still not sure exactly where German cars come from.
    As others have noted, they come from various places. But they're all designed by a company based in a country where driving is something that's still taken relatively seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
    Edit: Wait... I don't digress since Uwe split this off topic section into the bar
    Yep, I'd like to keep the threads in the serious sections of the forum more-or-less on topic, yet I fully understand that we sometimes digress. Heck, I do it often enough myself, and one could say that I directly caused this particular one. Anyway, when I see that happening, I'll try to fix it like I did here.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    when I see that happening, I'll try to fix it like I did here.

Been dying to comment on that thread but didn't want to de-rail it, but just.coulnd't.help.myself. on the SC part

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
    Not paying exorbitant tax rates or getting strong armed by the employees - same reason many major companies are moving here.
    Uh, didn't VW just get rather pissed off at the state government of Tennessee for interfering with the UAW vote? The one they asked for and invited?

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah, there's only one mispronunciation that actually annoys me, and there's only one misspelling that gets under my skin.
    I'll take that as "I mangled it, but I didn't call you a female sheep, so we're good."

Uh -- no. I don't think so.
    And that you prefer to remain an engima, or at least, you like to keep using your name as a password to filter telemarketing calls.

Jason

12. Likes jakematic, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take that as "I mangled it, but I didn't call you a female sheep, so we're good."
    Don't feel bad - I mis-pronounced it face to face
    I knew I had it right, but for some reason changed my pronunciation at the last second.

His wife was gracious enough to say it in conversation, likely to politely correct me...

14. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post